Ammo Boxes?

Here you have an audience of people with similar equipment needs. Chances are that someone will have what you need or vice versa.

Moderator: Mod

Forum rules
Please note the following :

Advertising of Firearms & Firearm Parts will no longer be permitted in the For Sale/Wanted to Buy Forum.
Please use the Firearms & Firearm Parts For Sale Sub-Forum.

Any Firearms or Firearm Parts advertised in this forum will be moved or deleted.

Please read the READ THIS FIRST! (Advertising Rules) for further details.
Tim L

Ammo Boxes?

#1 Postby Tim L » Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:01 am

Is there any demand out there for ammo boxes?
Shooting large pills in 308 means having to use a taller box than the standard 308 and packing the top with foam. Then, when they are shot, the empty cases are not long enough to be held down and rattle about, often falling out of their slots.
This was irritating so I've designed a box with an insert that holds the round, bullet down, supporting the case by the shoulder. This means the heads are all at the same height regardless of whether the projectile is fitted and the lid closes on the case head so they don't rattle about.
I can do an insert for any caliber as long as the case dimensions are available. (I've done SAUM, 6.5 Creedmore and 6 dasher so far and they all work)

I can't compete on price with current ammo boxes but for those with "odd" cartridge dimensions these may be an option. They are 3d printed and take about 24hrs to print the 3 parts. Cost is going to be $40 while I get materials sorted (I'm having to buy it at the moment) but I'm hoping to make them out of recycled pop bottles if the demand is there.

308 box open.jpg

308 liner.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ShaneG

Re: Ammo Boxes?

#2 Postby ShaneG » Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:18 am

Good idea Tim

BATattack

#3 Postby BATattack » Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:08 pm

Good idea! Nice having the base up above the top of the box and a bit of room between each case to make easy removal for fat fingers. Print quality looks really good as well!

HamonetMM

#4 Postby HamonetMM » Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:07 pm

If you can get the right exposure it should sell. Orientation of the cartridge exposes the primer to ensure that none are missing, great idea, also, the full hinge design makes for easy cartridge access. A very user friendly shooting accessory. Let us know when and if available. Wish you well.

Tim L

#5 Postby Tim L » Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:52 pm

Thanks for the support fellas. I've got a couple of orders already so we'll see what feedback I get.

PeteFox

#6 Postby PeteFox » Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:44 pm

I received my ammo boxes today.
Exactly as described and the cases don't rattle around
Thumbs up to Tim.
Pete

Tim L

#7 Postby Tim L » Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:40 pm

A bit of an update.
Whilst the concept is good, 3d printing the box itself is,,,,, challenging.
For those non engineering types tolerances are everything even in a simple box. Hinges need to hinge, clips need to clip but release when required, lids need to close but not bind and shit needs to fit.
I've kind of got there but not, imo, well enough to be a marketable product.
Pete is my guinea pig on life expectancy.
I still think the concept is a good one so I'm sourcing some premanufactured boxes so I just have to make the case liner (which is the heart of the idea).
This one is maybe too big, but is supposed to be waterproof. It would hold 7 ranks of 12.
I have some others coming fron China, well see.
20221006_174315.jpg

20221006_174422.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tim L

#8 Postby Tim L » Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:43 am

OK we are back up and running :D
New printer and quality issues solved.
I'd ask Pete to chime in if he's willing? I got some prototype boxes to him that he's had chance to use now.
I used some 308 ones at Nationals and, biased as it may seem, I found them pretty damned good to use. Having the round, bullet down means you are able to simply grab the case head and chuck it in the chamber.
Rounds are supported by the shoulder so no danger of damage to the meplat. Lid closes on the case head so no rattling of loaded or empty cases and no foam getting in the meplats either. Pretty good colour choice too.
PM if you're interested.
I may need case dimention but please do include overall length, case head to bullet tip.

Tim L

#9 Postby Tim L » Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:49 am

20221117_104754.jpg

PeteFox

#10 Postby PeteFox » Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:29 pm

Tim,
your ears must have been burning as I was thinking this morning about giving an evaluation .

OK, I really like them. I have used them every shoot since they were delivered and I have given away my old bullet boxes.

Because I have fat fingers and 284 cases are fatter than most others, I have changed slightly the way I use it to make the rounds easy to pickup. I work from back left and towards the front. The first fired case goes in the lid. The second fired case goes where the first one came from and so on.
This way I have an empty space next to every round I am going to pickup next and makes pickup easy.
In use, grabbing the cartridge by the base seems to be more natural, they go straight in without changing grip.

Mine are early versions and had some residual furriness in the cartridge recesses but it has never been a problem and they aren't shedding bits of plastic.
No problems with the lid staying shut. The cases don't rattle or fall out of their holes when empty.

Time will tell if the printed plastic is any more brittle than injection moulded plastic. I haven't tried dropping a full box onto concrete yet.

bulletbox.jpg

I have placed a straight edge across the cartridge bases in the box and there is no daylight and even tried it across two boxes, side by side, manufacturing dimensions are as consistent as any commercial item.

10/10
Pete

Tim L

#11 Postby Tim L » Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:21 am

Thanks for that Pete, much appreciated.
I might have to do a drop test and see how they go.
Oh, btw they probably are not dishwasher safe and probaly wont fair well on the car dashboard.
Test results to follow.

Just a thought, would you buy a loading tray that fits the box?
Flip it over and they are all in the tray.

Tim L

#12 Postby Tim L » Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:18 pm

If sold a few of these now had feedback has been good. Nothing bad yet at least.
I was wondering if our WA members might be interested in a lockable box?
This is a trial but supercheep sell one of similar size.
You buy your own box I send you the liner?
It works on the same principle that a loaded round or empty case sits at the same height so the lid closes on the head of the case and no rattling about.
Oh and a 7mm SAUM liner works very well with 308 cases but for the rest it is calibre specific.
20230209_131447.jpg

Return to “For Sale/Wanted to Buy”