USPS and the long wait

Here you have an audience of people with similar equipment needs. Chances are that someone will have what you need or vice versa.

Moderator: Mod

PeteFox

USPS and the long wait

#1 Postby PeteFox » Tue May 04, 2021 1:04 pm

The US Postal Service is doing my head in. Usually they are are really good and I'll always select them in preference to UPS, FEDEX etc. Mainly because I can dodge the GST.
Something that comes by UPS/Fedex/DHL gets their respective nazis all fired up with demands for immediate payment of GST otherwise your goods will be destroyed/impounded/forefeited/returned to sender.

However now the USPS are taking farce to a new level.
A package they collected in Minnesota on March 15, cleared US customs on March 18 and arrived in Sydney on April 16.

and then nothing, not a word until today.

"Arrived New Zealand" on May 4.

So my retired Forster case trimmer is back in use while my shiny new trimmer goes jet setting.
Maybe they forgot where Tasmania is
Am I alone or is USPS to be avoided?
Pete

Weairy

Re: USPS and the long wait

#2 Postby Weairy » Tue May 04, 2021 1:13 pm

I feel like this is a constant battle with postage from overseas. I've had things recently sent from the US that ended up coming via half the world. You check the tracking and it says "Scanned in at delivery station xyz in Columbia 10 days ago" and no other word, suddenly it turns up on your doorstep.
Josh Weaire
Nagambie R.C.

MarkS

#3 Postby MarkS » Tue May 04, 2021 2:05 pm

Guys, recognise there is bit of a thing called COVID that has basically shut down air travel around the world and dramatically reduced sea shipping volumes.
Freight routes as pre 2020 literally do not exist at this time, especially the air side of shipping.
Freight companies are simply trying to find pods/containers heading in the general direction of Aus - we are literally at the bottom of the world for USA and most of Europe etc.
USPS has been hopeless since about 2010. Standard time for their International Express(ha) to Aus has been 4-6weeks for years.
DHL are amazing but mainly carry from Europe.
If you want fast from USA pay heaps with FedEx. Otherwise buy local or be willing to wait

Wingnut

#4 Postby Wingnut » Tue May 04, 2021 2:47 pm

In my experience the arrived in Australia notifications are not correct. That is added when the item leaves the US. It is likely still on its way into the country via a number of different destinations. The only time I believe it has landed is once it clears our customs. Then, and only then, does the information on the usps postage portal ring true again.

pjifl

#5 Postby pjifl » Tue May 04, 2021 3:05 pm

USPS is maybe slower but I have found them reliable. Usually a lot cheaper to Australia than UPS and FEDEX. In any case, UPS and FEDEX will not arrive here to a PO BOX so that settles it for me. Unfortunately, many US sellers do not want to deal with USPS and have no idea nor any interest in finding the cheapest USPS service to Australia. Hence some want huge USPS payments, others quite reasonable.

Ironically, I have had excellent service from UK overseas Postage and other older traditional Postal Services from Europe - including Eastern European countries. They seem to value their traditional National Postal Service.

One of my gripes is that the term 'POSTAGE' is not understood by overseas sellers. To them courier services = postage and this is confusing and in my opinion very wrong. Delivery to me by a courier is the pit. Totally unreliable.

I have a friend in Florida who had a parcel sent to him from only a few hundred miles away. The tracking showed it going back to Florida from Guam. But it did get there. I think international Air Freight is a mess at the moment.

Peter Smith.

Drover Dog

#6 Postby Drover Dog » Tue May 04, 2021 3:40 pm

I import a fair bit of equipment from the UK and some from the USA, both post and courier.

Most tracking seems to disappear when an item leaves the originating country until it gets into customs in Australia.

A lot of items now are handed over to Australia Post/ Startrak and then disappear again. Aust Post/Startrak put their own tracking code on the item and unless you call the original courier to get the changed number you have to wait for it to arrive.

Royal mail ex the UK which is tracked in the UK is not accepted by Aust Post even though one has paid for tracking.

6.5x55ai

#7 Postby 6.5x55ai » Tue May 04, 2021 3:59 pm

Had to laugh at PeterFox's parcel ended up in NZ. Sorry Pete.

My recent experience with USPS (and yes I know Covid is raging).
4 Sept 20, parcel leaves 21stCentury Ossian, Indiana
Indianapolis
Chicago
Honolulu
Los Angeles
Sydney
New Caledonia
8 Jan 21 New Zealand

I know that looks pretty straight fwd with the exception of the Honolulu double back and the New Caledonia side move but the tracking had 68 entries, a lot in one location though. Very long stays in Los Angeles and New Caledonia.
Just over 5 months delivery time.
I had just started the claims process but I suspect USPS would have told me to piss off.
Worst still after 3 months I ordered an alternative suppliers product to replace my wayward order and it arrived in around 1 month.
Also during that period I ordered a medium sized box of stuff from Hong Kong. It aarrived in an astonishing 4 days.

agro

#8 Postby agro » Tue May 04, 2021 4:08 pm

My gripe is with US mailing costs.
I was quoted the price and postage for a barrel tuner that they quoted as weighting 6oz and the postage they quoted was $US40. That's $AUS 51.65
WTF!!!! what a ripoff.
No way

Good luck

pjifl

#9 Postby pjifl » Tue May 04, 2021 5:25 pm

Agro wrote

My gripe is with US mailing costs. I was quoted the price and postage for a barrel tuner that they quoted as weighting 6oz and the postage they quoted was $US40. That's $AUS 51.65

This is what I was referring to in a previous post. I find the problem is largely the sender not knowing how to get the best rate from USPS. And usually not bothering or caring about it. I think it is a bit unfair to blame USPS too much because other sellers seem to be able to send by USPS for far less. The average US seller cannot usually be bothered in contrast with most Asian sellers.
I have to admit most of my experience is pre Covid.

I had an interesting experience about 4 months with Australia Post. I had about 60 Gb of data to send to Holland and decided to send via an SD card. Our PO informed me there were special fees because of covid and it cost me about $20 Australian dollars. I really had no choice as I had it all packaged up in a very small padded envelope. Despite this, I am very happy with Aust Post and far prefer it to carriers.

Peter Smith.

CamoWhamo

#10 Postby CamoWhamo » Tue May 04, 2021 6:28 pm

I had a parcel sent from the US on 5th May. USPS' tracking says it It landed in Sydney on the 18th and then the tracking hasn't moved since. Today (16 days later) I got a knock on the door and sitting their at my doorstep was the package.
Tracking still says it's sitting at Kingsford Smith.

Rich4

#11 Postby Rich4 » Tue May 04, 2021 7:36 pm

Sorry to hear about the wait, it always seems like an eternity waiting for a new toy, did you buy a giraud? Us postage has certainly curtailed my spending these days, more so than exchange rates even.

Old Trev-39

#12 Postby Old Trev-39 » Tue May 04, 2021 8:05 pm

My experience with a reamer from Dave Manson. Accepted by USPS 6th.April.Departed Los Angles 19th. April. Arrived and departed Chicago 3 times in that period. Next notification departed Tokyo 27th. April, nothing since. Also it appears that once it arrives in Australia you cannot track it anymore through USPS and Auspost tracking will not recognize USPS tracking number. Next thing I will know is it will be in my P.O.Box who knows when. For this I paid U.S. $ 57.50.
Cheers,
Trevor.

Pablolig

#13 Postby Pablolig » Tue May 04, 2021 8:31 pm

Go Australia Post!!
7 days between Adelaide and Mildura.
450 km

bainp

#14 Postby bainp » Wed May 05, 2021 2:24 pm

Every time I receive a parcel through StarTrack or Australia Post I receive an email with a questionaire or review request attached.
I always point out that during World War II, Parcels and mail would get delivered overnight Sydney to Wagga Wagga or vice versa. I have proof of that because my parents were semi-horders and kept nearly all their letters to one another prior to their marriage.
Today a letter or parcel is lucky to arrive within a week Sydney to Wagga Wagga.
So how good is privatisation of Government run agencies!!!!!

Pablolig

#15 Postby Pablolig » Wed May 05, 2021 7:20 pm

Hahahah
Spot on mate!

Return to “For Sale/Wanted to Buy”