6.5 HI V 6.5X55 AI

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

AlanF

#16 Postby AlanF » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:30 pm

Ackley Improved wrote:...It is not worth going half arsed, specially when the rifle has cost me the best part of $6500...

AI,

Good thinking, and if you haven't committed yet, another alternative if you are prepared to spend $ is to have matching reamers made, one chamber finishing reamer, and one slightly smaller sizing die reamer, then you can have your seating and sizing dies made from your own reamers. It cost me almost A$800 for the 2 reamers plus bushing type FL sizer die plus Wilson seater. I consider it money well spent, because close-fitting and consistent brass is high up on my list of things needed for accuracy.

Whatever you do about dies, I wish you luck with the project. Glad to hear you're going 6.5. There's lots of shooters going to 6mm, 7mm and 30cal lately, but for the one-gun shooter, your 6.5x55AI will take some beating.

Alan

Matt P

#17 Postby Matt P » Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:46 pm

At sixes and sevens about what calibre to shoot? Get the best of both worlds with a 6.5!

Yeah when you tune the verticle out and hope you don't have to shoot in a strong fishtail !!!

Going to sixes and sevens to get the best of both worlds accuracy and winddrift, without loosing half a barrel tuning (hopefully) !!! :wink: :wink:

Matt P
Last edited by Matt P on Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bruce talty

#18 Postby bruce talty » Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:57 pm

AlanF wrote:
Ackley Improved wrote:...It is not worth going half arsed, specially when the rifle has cost me the best part of $6500...

AI,

Good thinking, and if you haven't committed yet, another alternative if you are prepared to spend $ is to have matching reamers made, one chamber finishing reamer, and one slightly smaller sizing die reamer, then you can have your seating and sizing dies made from your own reamers. It cost me almost A$800 for the 2 reamers plus bushing type FL sizer die plus Wilson seater. I consider it money well spent, because close-fitting and consistent brass is high up on my list of things needed for accuracy.

Whatever you do about dies, I wish you luck with the project. Glad to hear you're going 6.5. There's lots of shooters going to 6mm, 7mm and 30cal lately, but for the one-gun shooter, your 6.5x55AI will take some beating.

Alan
A mate and i had 6mmX47 Lapua Reamers made and were only $A 400.00 for the both.Bruce

AlanF

#19 Postby AlanF » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:09 pm

I know Matt - 6.5s are a terrible calibre! And I understand you've been avoiding using them for years. Of course sometimes you make an exception and bring out the 6.5 x 57, such as when you want to win a Queens! 8)

Be warned, the more you fiddle about with 6s and 7s, the more time AI and me will have to get our 6.5s humming! :D :D

Alan

Ackley Improved

#20 Postby Ackley Improved » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:17 am

Well, all is done...

Sending off the money orders to the US today for the 6.5X55AI FL die and the other for the reamer to which the die was designed for.

This will be my first 6.5, so I guess soon I will start to see the tuning problems you fella's are talking about.

I'll go for a 500m ladder test and go from there!

I know it wont be as easy to tune as my 6mm Dasher.. that one just shoots as accurate across a full grain of powder..

I'm not the biggest fan of recoil off a bench, so I think the 6.5cal will be my limit in a lightgun. Shooting prone with a 300WM hunting rifle does not worry me, but off the bench I struggle.. Interesting huh!!!

Alan, yes it will give us some time to get our 6.5's humming, just by then I can guess that Matt will have a 7mm such n such humming..... could give us some grief!! I suppose we could hope he gets a flinch...... but I think not...

Matt will do just fine with a tomato stake and a rubberband!!

Cheers
AI

Matt P

#21 Postby Matt P » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:47 pm

Yeah and when you get them humming they'll be worn out !!! :cry:
After this, knowing my luck the 7 will be a disaster. :lol:

Matt P

Chopper

#22 Postby Chopper » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:13 am

back on line Alan at last ,Alan have you changed youre mind about a good 1 gunna,you said the 6.5x55AI would take some beating,have you gone off my 6x47 .

AlanF

#23 Postby AlanF » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:04 pm

Chopper wrote:back on line Alan at last ,Alan have you changed youre mind about a good 1 gunna,you said the 6.5x55AI would take some beating,have you gone off my 6x47 .

I think you might have forgotten what I said in an earlier thread :

AlanF wrote:..I see two groups of cartridges as suitable for the one gun shooter. Either the faster 6mm chamberings such as 6x47Lapua or 243AI, or the larger 6.5mm chamberings such as 6.5x284 or 6.5x55AI. The 6mms will have less recoil, and have a slight accuracy advantage. The 6.5s will have marginally better performance at the longs...

I think the 6x 47 takes some beating too! My preference is for the 6.5 probably because I need more help with the wind at the longs than you! But I'm working on that! :D

BTW, welcome back,

Alan

Chopper

#24 Postby Chopper » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:04 pm

well i think it would be interesting to see all you buggers turn up with one rifle of youre choice and shoot it out ,over 300 to a 1000 ,maybe a 1 gunner prise meeting one day ,would be fun dont you think,might attract a few fs shooters you never know,be a good get together i think.

AlanF

#25 Postby AlanF » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:03 pm

Chopper wrote:...it would be interesting to see all you buggers turn up with one rifle of youre choice and shoot it out ,over 300 to a 1000 ,maybe a 1 gunner prise meeting one day...

CLICK HERE to see previous discussion on this. We need suggestions for where and when! \:D/

#26 Postby Guest » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:55 am

Alan,
I and Mine would support this type of shoot ( on FO targets of course )
Why go interstate as I believe you would get enough interest in VIC alone.
If interstaters want to come then OK.
Firstly I would try a one dayer to gauge the feeling of people and probably shoot it over 3, 6, and 9 or 1000.
Bendigo is the obvious choice being somewhat central to most.
Some may see such a shoot as a degredation of FO and will probably concoct all sorts of conspiracy theorys but to them I say lighten up.
Yes, why not give it a go as anything that promotes shooting cannot be all that bad.
I had two days shooting FO at Rosedale a couple of weeks ago. Got thoroughly belted for my trouble, but non-the- less enjoyed every minute of it, and will do it again, a little wiser the next time.
Barry

#27 Postby Guest » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:24 am

After speakin with Gary Hunt last night, he tells me that mildura will be holding their two day prize meeting at Bendigo again this year in June.

Shot from 300 to 1000 yards it would be a good opportunity to hold this shoot, I would be interested in having a go and have no doubt there will be others. Alan, with the thought of having to read a bit of wind, could you bare leaving your 284 at home??

AlanF

#28 Postby AlanF » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:04 pm

Adam Davies wrote:After speakin with Gary Hunt last night, he tells me that mildura will be holding their two day prize meeting at Bendigo again this year in June.

Adam,

Bendigo on Queen's B'day is already earmarked as the 3rd and 4th legs of the Vic F-Open series, and that is being run according to the F-Open rules, which allows multi-gunners. So we'll need to think of somewhere else.

Adam Davies wrote:Alan, with the thought of having to read a bit of wind, could you bare leaving your 284 at home??

Yeah right. :D

Alan

Matt P

#29 Postby Matt P » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:45 pm

Adam Davies wrote:"]Alan, with the thought of having to read a bit of wind, could you bare leaving your 284 at home??

Yeah right. :D

Alan[/quote]

Yeah the wind knob is only there to get a still air zero, after that you just aim in the middle. :wink: :wink:

Matt P

#30 Postby Guest » Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:35 pm

Should i explain what i mean Matt??

No, i think you can work it out. :wink:

Return to “Equipment & Technical”