Aim Off or Adjust Windage

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

balcom

Aim off's

#16 Postby balcom » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:56 pm

Ned,
Thats why scopes have dots & wind knobs, to keep everybody happy.
Cheers
PeterH

ned kelly

#17 Postby ned kelly » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:33 pm

G'day Pete,
yeah I know, but I've seen too many scopes on BR rifles go sour so I dont like turning knobs and after years of BR I find mil dot scopes cluttered, plus 1 dot means I dont use the wrong dot for aiming! Each to his own and what ever works for you is best I always say.
Cheerio Ned

AlanF

#18 Postby AlanF » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:18 pm

Chopper wrote:...i guess its what you feel best with and what gets you the results is the best method...

Chop,

Couldn't agree more. People have different strengths and weaknesses, and what suits one will not suit another. After your performance at the Vic Queens, you'd be silly to make any major changes to your sighting technique. One thing that can be overlooked in this discussion is that good windreading is the main game - the sighting method is secondary.

Alan

DENNISG

aim off or wind?

#19 Postby DENNISG » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:40 pm

As a new shooter I have tried to come to grips with a scope technique. Initially I set about to knob twiddle but after the VIC QUEENS where on the 2nd range I wound the wrong way (3 times!!) it cost me the Queens.
Certainly nerves played a part. :cry:

Following that range I set myself up to: (try and relax!!!)

1. Set Average wind if the conditions are calm/constant & aim off.
2. Set zero wind if changeable conditions & aim off.

As Alan F said "Apart from adjusting the knobs for my first 2 sighters, I always aim off for both windage and elevation. I believe that if you can master aiming off (and my own system still has a little way to go) it is better than adjusting. It allows shots to be got away quicker (conditions can change in the time it takes to adjust), and it is more precise, particularly if your scope has only 1/4MOA clicks. I record each aim-off point on a plot sheet, then adjust the next aim-off point based on (a) the result of the previous shot and (b) any changes in the windI

I also endorse the plot of shots which gives a view of where your prior aim off results fell. BUT there is no substitue for skills in wind reading!!

Having come 2nd in FS"B" to Wilf Wright (an accomplished shooter & Australian Match Rifle team member) I am very pleased. :)
Regards Dennis
"if you never ask, the answer is NO."

Return to “Equipment & Technical”