Wind Reading

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

S.Scheske

Wind Reading

#1 Postby S.Scheske » Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:23 am

Hi every one

Just looking for some tips/methods for wind reading I have been shooting for about... 15-16Months now and still having trouble with the Wind at times *Like at the VIC Queens*

Any Hints,Tips,info will help alot thanks :)
Sam Scheske
CTRC
2004 ADFC Rifle Team

Tony Q

#2 Postby Tony Q » Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:46 am

Wing Reading Tip For the Day Sam

Shoot at your club more often, only practice will improve wind skills. The flag charts do help but you need to get your butt on the mound :wink:

You know we are only to happy to coach anyone who may need help :)

Come back to MBRC and start shooting again :!:
MBRC F-Class standard ... and proud of it!

S.Scheske

#3 Postby S.Scheske » Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:22 pm

Nah ill be ok..i dont want to be coached, i want to do it myself i lurnt a fair bit over at the VIC Queens but i havnt shot since then :cry:
Sam Scheske
CTRC
2004 ADFC Rifle Team

Tony Q

#4 Postby Tony Q » Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:43 pm

Sam, wind reading is something that is learnt through coaching and shots down range. Good practice makes perfect, bad practice dosnt achive anything.

In regard to wind reading, its very difficult to learn through reading a book or hints.

You will learn more at the club in 1 day than you would in months of trial and error.
MBRC F-Class standard ... and proud of it!

#5 Postby Guest » Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:30 pm

If you have someone with a small DV camera get them to record the flags while you shoot. Making sure that you record the shot details like your estimate of the wind strength and direction, how much wind allowance you used for each shot and the point of impact on the target.
Then after you get home view the tape in conjunction with your notes and analyse why your shots went where they did.

For example if you allowed 3 Moa for the wind at that particular range and shot a 10 then you got it right and you wont learn much. But if you shot a 7 and needed 5 moa of allowance then still frame the flags at the time of the shot breaking and study carefully which flags gave the correct answer and why.

Remember that when you loose a shot the guys watching from behind will tell you what you didnt see but with a video you can see and learn for your self.

The English shooters at Bendigo early this year went home with lots of pictures to study before the Commonwealth Games next year. They didn't take holliday snaps either.

Ken L
OZ

pjifl

Wind Reading

#6 Postby pjifl » Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:29 pm

As far as learning wind - can I suggest a few things to try at low key club shoots.

1/ Have a shooter with a known good rifle (AND with a guaranteed wind zero) shoot but before each shot, have each of maybe 3 spectators say what wind they would use. Then the shooter will tell everyone aloud after each shot what he used for wind. It becomes an event in which the newcomers can participate. It works especially well if a scope contains a well graduated graticule. Often better if it is not shooting a super cartridge. The way to really know wind (is that ever possible ?) is to start coaching and this is one way to start without actually doing any harm !

2/ At all times, take the trouble to communicate wind in some common language - and that really has to be minutes. To old fullbore shooters - remember that newcomers - especially from other disciplines - often have no idea of what minutes are. And to newcomers, take the time to learn minutes. Even if you do not use minutes in your holdoff - its still about the only way to discuss with others what is happening.

3/ For newcomers - my F class simulator is a good way to familiarize yourself with minutes on the target. Pick a known ring on the target whose diameter corresponds to some definite value in minutes - or close to it. For example the fullbore centre is about 1 minute. Then think of eveything in terms of minutes. For example how far across the target is it in minutes. How many minutes would you need to come up if the shot hits the mantlet. Practice this and it becomes easy.

It is not very useful to think of minutes as 1 inch at 100 yds. from the point of view of the shooter. What is more important is some reference on the target as seen by the shooter - ie that the V on a fullbore target is 1 minute across or that for example, at 1000 yds, an 8 ft target is roughly 9 - 10 minutes across. Or that 3 minutes up or down nearly takes you off the target at 1000 y on a 6 ft high target.

Peter Smith.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”