Stock for f-open thoughts

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

2fore3cal

Stock for f-open thoughts

#1 Postby 2fore3cal » Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:14 pm

G'day all. Just wanted to know if anyone has or seen someone using a H-S precision stock (hs025) model for f-open and what are thoughts on this style for the class? I've had the stock 17+ years but I'm now at a point where I can either get a proper open style and a front rest or keep it as is and run a bipod. Just getting back into the game after about 15 yrs away. Let me know what you think.

Regards
Steve

willow

Re: Stock for f-open thoughts

#2 Postby willow » Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:19 pm

With regard to F-Open stocks, the game has moved on considerably in the past few years with multiple options out there with everything from your fibreglass/carbon composites like McMillan and their extensive Kestros range, to timber laminate (Ken Noye locally made) to more traditional woods like Dima, CentreTrac (made by Mark Azzopardi up in far NQ) and TMG stocks (made by Tim Booth in Armidale NSW).

Best advice I can probably offer is to try and take a look at the various stocks at your local range, hopefully there's a variety on offer you might be able to get behind and see what feels comfortable and might suit your needs.

If you see some of these stocks that are out there, you'll see the difference in design and what they offer vs what you currently have. I wouldn't advise running a bipod in F-Open, that type of setup just isn't competitive.

2fore3cal

#3 Postby 2fore3cal » Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:52 pm

Thanks for the reply willow some very good points to consider. Back when I was shooting there wasn't anything like f-open it was all true fullbore and if you turned up with a scoped rifle it was a sin almost :twisted: so I must admit I'm very much behind the curve and still trying to learn about f-class standard, f-tr and match rifle :shock: . Not to mention hunter sporter and what direction it will take when the rules are set in stone for it regards to rifle modifications. Much learning done but more to come it seems cheers

OuttaAmmo

#4 Postby OuttaAmmo » Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:15 pm

2fore3cal wrote:G'day all. Just wanted to know if anyone has or seen someone using a H-S precision stock (hs025) model for f-open and what are thoughts on this style for the class? I've had the stock 17+ years but I'm now at a point where I can either get a proper open style and a front rest or keep it as is and run a bipod. Just getting back into the game after about 15 yrs away. Let me know what you think.

Regards
Steve

I’ve used a McMillan A3-5 in F-Open, with a bipod and rear bag. Super fun, shot some good scores….and in a couple of Queens.
That was about 10 years ago though….

willow

#5 Postby willow » Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:27 pm

Steve, to give you more of an idea what's out there, check out the attached, and the following links when you have time. I guess the other caveat here is that good gear like this takes time to get, some brands have longer lead times than others, so consider that when you decide to order something, because chances are, it won't be sitting on a shelf and will be made to order...and none of this stuff is cheap either unfortunately but that's just the way the sport has headed.

https://www.centretrac.com.au/ - Locally made, lead times probably better than OS models
https://dimars.com.ua/riflestocks - Lead times on these from what I hear are pretty good
https://www.facebook.com/dimarifles
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100072536916958 - Based in Italy - will ship to Australia, lead time reasonable (around 4-6 months), many options available with colour/timber/carbon fibre stringers/resin...EXPENSIVE!
https://mcmillanusa.com/mcmillan-rifle- ... on-stocks/ - Lead times around 12 months for the Kestros ZR model. Very durable and tough, lots of options to choose from, also pretty expensive but you get what you pay for
https://www.facebook.com/rvcustom.riflestocks - Another locally made option.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

2fore3cal

#6 Postby 2fore3cal » Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:46 pm

Thanks for all the information willow. Much appreciated. Those photos you included look great. :D

Cyrus

#7 Postby Cyrus » Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:01 am

What action are you using?

ned kelly

#8 Postby ned kelly » Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:09 pm

G'day Steve,
I'm in central Victoria and make F class/Benchrest stocks.
All inlets are CNC'd and the stocks are straight, trued and parallel.
Happy to discuss all options. PM for mobile and check out the link to my Facebook page.
Hope this helps.
Cheers Geoff

2fore3cal

#9 Postby 2fore3cal » Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:40 am

Cyrus wrote:What action are you using?

Remington 700 short mate

2fore3cal

#10 Postby 2fore3cal » Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:42 am

ned kelly wrote:G'day Steve,
I'm in central Victoria and make F class/Benchrest stocks.
All inlets are CNC'd and the stocks are straight, trued and parallel.
Happy to discuss all options. PM for mobile and check out the link to my Facebook page.
Hope this helps.
Cheers Geoff

Hi Geoff. Thanks for the info I'll jump on link when home and check out your stuff. Cheers :D

Return to “Equipment & Technical”