Frank Green Interview

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

PeteFox

Frank Green Interview

#1 Postby PeteFox » Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:02 pm

Frank Green interviewed by Cortina

https://youtu.be/sCBLQXawK8E

Old Trev-39

Re: Frank Green Interview

#2 Postby Old Trev-39 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:26 pm

Watched it this afternoon. Quite interresting. I think some should be reviewing their cleaning methods and frequency. It also makes you wonder how some people think.
I never go to bed leaving a dirty rifle.
Cheers,
Trevor.

KHGS

#3 Postby KHGS » Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:19 pm

Never let the sun set on a dirty barrel! You would be amazed how many customer’s barrels I have replaced over my career that were corroded out, not worn out!!!
Keith H.

PeteFox

#4 Postby PeteFox » Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:53 am

The second interview is now on You Tube
https://youtu.be/jxE748swFOY
Pete

Frank Green

#5 Postby Frank Green » Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:34 am

Here are a couple of pictures of a barrel I got back from a customer a couple of weeks ago. One of the cleaners he was using was ThorroClean. I'm not sure what is the chemical make up of it for the liquid but they mix in Iosso bore paste into the liquid.

The customer hand turned a brush once in the throat area of the chamber of the barrel. Not on a drill but just turned it by hand with a bronze brush with the cleaner.

There is also pitting thru out the bore of the barrel. Lands and grooves as well as gouge marks running the length of the barrel again on the lands and in the grooves. He was trying to remove the previous cleaner the best he could or thought he was with alcohol.

This is a 223 FTR barrel. Has 800 rounds on it. The amazing part is he says it's a hammer but doesn't trust it anymore.

The pitting is from mixing cleaners in the bore of the barrel.

Later, Frank
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cheech

#6 Postby cheech » Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:16 am

Frank Thankyou for sharing your knowledge much appreciated.

Today there is so many solvents being used for carbon or copper and moly removal , between each different chemical application we should definitely make sure the barrel is cleansed out before entering with another solvent

What is the best neutral way to do this ? I have always been told to use Methlayted spirits for everything , but does metho react with anything ?

I have mostly approached cleaning in 2 stages using carbon solvent first , then attack copper separately . Lately I use Dewey or iOSSO nylon brushes calibre specific as long lasting and very stiff than standard nylon brushes

I always use ballistol oil before putting rifle away in the safe after cleaning , again as advised by many .

A one solvent does ‘all ‘ would be a solution of course ?

Cheers

Frank Green

#7 Postby Frank Green » Sat Aug 19, 2023 1:54 am

cheech wrote:Frank Thankyou for sharing your knowledge much appreciated.

Today there is so many solvents being used for carbon or copper and moly removal , between each different chemical application we should definitely make sure the barrel is cleansed out before entering with another solvent

What is the best neutral way to do this ? I have always been told to use Methlayted spirits for everything , but does metho react with anything ?

I have mostly approached cleaning in 2 stages using carbon solvent first , then attack copper separately . Lately I use Dewey or iOSSO nylon brushes calibre specific as long lasting and very stiff than standard nylon brushes

I always use ballistol oil before putting rifle away in the safe after cleaning , again as advised by many .

A one solvent does ‘all ‘ would be a solution of course ?

Cheers

First off your welcome for sharing the info and knowledge!

I don't have a good answer for you as to what is the best way to remove / neutralize one cleaner before going to the next. When I switch from Sweet's over to Hoppe's what I do is this. I dry patch the bore thoroughly after using the sweet's. Then I follow up with a patched soaked with Rem. 40x cleaner or with JB Bore Compound (blue label) not the Bore Brite (red label) and I'll stroke the bore 10x with that one patch and I'll focus on the throat area of the barrel to work on carbon build up. Then I dry patch that out and then switch over to Hoppe's. That's how I do it.

A one solvent / cleaner would be nice. Like you said, "does all" but unfortunately that doesn't seem to be out there. LOL!

Later, Frank

AlanF

#8 Postby AlanF » Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:14 am

cheech wrote:...I have always been told to use Methlayted spirits for everything , but does metho react with anything ?..

Frank could be excused for not knowing what methylated spirits is. As I once found out in a Walmart store in Texas, its called "denatured alchohol" in the US :) .

Tim L

#9 Postby Tim L » Sat Aug 19, 2023 11:16 am

Concentrated nitric acid seems to be the perfect barrel cleaner. It's one of few chemicals that will "desolve" carbon, with the benefit it also desolves copper but actually increases stainless steels resistance to corrosion.
Trouble is you have to heat it to make it kill carbon and the off gassing will kill you if you breath it in, oh, and buying it probably gets you on a dozen watch lists.

Frank Green

#10 Postby Frank Green » Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:43 am

AlanF wrote:
cheech wrote:...I have always been told to use Methlayted spirits for everything , but does metho react with anything ?..

Frank could be excused for not knowing what methylated spirits is. As I once found out in a Walmart store in Texas, its called "denatured alchohol" in the US :) .

Hey Alan! Yea I know what the stuff is. LOL! I/we have it at work and I have it at home. Just never felt the need to run it down a barrel at all.

Later, Frank

Frank Green

#11 Postby Frank Green » Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:48 am

Tim L wrote:Concentrated nitric acid seems to be the perfect barrel cleaner. It's one of few chemicals that will "desolve" carbon, with the benefit it also desolves copper but actually increases stainless steels resistance to corrosion.
Trouble is you have to heat it to make it kill carbon and the off gassing will kill you if you breath it in, oh, and buying it probably gets you on a dozen watch lists.

You and one of my customers over here should get together sometime! He use to work in the r&D lab at General Dynamics! Listen to his stories and your sides will be hurting from laughing so hard!

One of the good ones was when they created a wireless taser. Developed it in a week. Not only did it blow a hole in the cinder block wall 20 feet across the lab…. It could easily cut you in half. Said he got a talking to from the lawyers! Lol!

Return to “Equipment & Technical”