Neck and body sizing What order ?

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Lithgow

Re: Neck and body sizing What order ?

#16 Postby Lithgow » Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:58 pm

Don't spend any more money, apart from shell holders....
Research PRC Clickers and spend the money where it's needed.
The Cartridge was designed by Hornady, better brass doesn't work, Chamber and Dies need to match the Brass or you will chase your tail.
Steve G
Nowra Rifle Club NSW

macguru

#17 Postby macguru » Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:23 pm

I think I have worked out the shoulder bump, and ill get some shellholders if needed, I have no extraction problems with the tikka chamber but ill try to stay on top of it, thanks.
id quod est

fapope

#18 Postby fapope » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:18 am

If you are not annealing, it doesn't make a lot of difference which order. Although the case will be a closer fit in the neck sizer if it hasn't been f/l sized first. What I have learnt the hard way. My 20 cents worth ? Step 1 -- De-prime and Ultrasonic Clean- warm/hot water with 1/2 teaspoon of lemon shine or citric acid. Rinse twice. Dry with a heat gun. Inside necks/cases and primer pockets should show no powder residue. Step 2 -Optional -Neck anneal - Amp Annealed. Step 3 Hornady spray lube and size with Redding Body die. Only to 0 to 1 thou over fired case size (Check with RCBS Precision mike of the LE Wilson case gage depth micrometer setup). I consider these gauges essential for precision reloading. Step 3 is the most important step in the whole reloading process. Step 4 - Neck size (lightly) with Lee neck die. Step 5 - Seat with Wilson Inline seater on a arbor press. Step 6 - Optional - Check loaded rounds with a concentricity gauge . They should have less than 2 thou runout." Separating the F/L sizing and neck sizing into two operations will assist in reducing runout. Rule of thumb "If you can't measure it. You can't manage it.
Basic Setup to start with Redding Body Die and Lee Neck Collet Die. Later on - Next Stage Up - Wilson Inline Seater and Ultrasonic Cleaner (High Watt unit). Complete the set up a Case Concentricity gauge and Cartridge Headspace gauge. Finally - When you have too much money: Consider an AMP Annealer, A&D Precision Scales

macguru

#19 Postby macguru » Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:40 am

LA105 wrote:Don't spend any more money, apart from shell holders....
Research PRC Clickers and spend the money where it's needed.
The Cartridge was designed by Hornady, better brass doesn't work, Chamber and Dies need to match the Brass or you will chase your tail.

Yeah I have ordered the shellholders to complement the redding body die, I think its the outer shoulder I will have to watch because there might be a bit more stretch on firing in a tikka than a barnard (no surprise), but the case heads seem pretty robust.
I am going for the 3 day kings, so see you friday. cheers andrew
Last edited by macguru on Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
id quod est

!Peter!

#20 Postby !Peter! » Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:24 pm

I use full length bushing dies without the bushing as a body die. Gives a few more options in the reloading process without needing more dies.

Aus9914

#21 Postby Aus9914 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:25 pm

fapope wrote: Only to 0 to 1 thou over fired case size (Check with RCBS Precision mike of the LE Wilson case gage depth micrometer setup). I consider these gauges essential for precision reloading.

fapope wrote: Check loaded rounds with a concentricity gauge . They should have less than 2 thou runout."

fapope wrote:Rule of thumb "If you can't measure it. You can't manage it.

Excellent advice.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”