Cracking in Barrel???

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Rogue22

Cracking in Barrel???

#1 Postby Rogue22 » Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:50 pm

I’m chasing a bit of advice on what the cracking in the attached photo could be and wether or not it’s safe to shoot? I’d lean towards not being safe but I’m no gunsmith. The cracks start about an inch from the throat and are present most of the way along the barrel.

For context, it’s a friends Sako S20 in 6.5 PRC with about 800 rounds through it. Interestingly I have the same rifle and when I put the bore scope in mine it was exactly the same.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BATattack

Re: Cracking in Barrel???

#2 Postby BATattack » Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:58 am

Its hard to tell from a photo but you see lines like that in button or hammer forged barrels. Barrels are drilled then honed and the transverse lines are left over from the honeing process.

Rich4

#3 Postby Rich4 » Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:30 am

I'd say button chatter not cracking, some factory barrels look like a corrugated road

Rogue22

#4 Postby Rogue22 » Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:33 am

BATattack wrote:Its hard to tell from a photo but you see lines like that in button or hammer forged barrels. Barrels are drilled then honed and the transverse lines are left over from the honeing process.

It is hard to see in the photo but there is a distinctive crack in the shape of an X which goes through the lands and grooves. Are we looking at the same thing?

Rich4

#5 Postby Rich4 » Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:58 am

Yeah, I probably still think it's a scratch or mark as opposed to a crack, however if your concerned take it to a GOOD gunsmith for an inspection, we're looking at a photo of a photo

MattyG

#6 Postby MattyG » Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:57 pm

The cracking that I can see appears to be fire cracking. This occurs as the barrel wears. 6.5 PRC is a relatively hot round and it seems like this is simply the barrel wearing out.
Matt M.
Endeavour RC
TR/F Standard/Smallbore/Service Rifles/Sporting Rifles etc
LOVE IT ALL!!!

Daveh

#7 Postby Daveh » Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:20 pm

"I see dead people" Even zoomed in I see the X Jimmy is talking about..
Just out of curiosity if the same mark is in both barrels and it is along the barrel as you push the bore scope down.. There isn't a fine crack in the bore scope mirror and only showing with the zoom of the scope cam?

Dave

Rogue22

#8 Postby Rogue22 » Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:25 pm

Daveh wrote:"I see dead people" Even zoomed in I see the X Jimmy is talking about..
Just out of curiosity if the same mark is in both barrels and it is along the barrel as you push the bore scope down.. There isn't a fine crack in the bore scope mirror and only showing with the zoom of the scope cam?

Dave

Nah they are definitely different cracks Dave but I know what you’re saying mate! I’ve got a few sakos so actually checked a couple more and the cracks were only in the S20’s.

johno

#9 Postby johno » Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:08 pm

Get in touch with Sako???

jasmay

#10 Postby jasmay » Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:23 pm

Looks like a good dose of fire cracking (aka, a form if barrel wear).

Overbore cartridges are prone to seeing this much earlier in their life.

Bobcat

#11 Postby Bobcat » Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:00 am

I have found something similar in one of my hammer forged barrels, few cracks throughout the barrel at various points. Returned to importer for inspection by gunsmith and was advised this is normal, nothing wrong with it. It's not the most accurate barrel unfortunately.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PeteFox

#12 Postby PeteFox » Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:53 am

Bobcat wrote:I have found something similar in one of my hammer forged barrels, few cracks throughout the barrel at various points. Returned to importer for inspection by gunsmith and was advised this is normal, nothing wrong with it. It's not the most accurate barrel unfortunately.

That's Normal? Bullshit!

Looks to me that it's deeper than the land thickness as it's in both land and groove.
The problem here is it's not what you can see, it's what you can't see. How deep is the crack?,Is it growing over time? if you don't know the answer you're just guessing about the safety of the barrel.

To be sure the barrel would need to be magnafluxed - I'm betting the gunsmith didn't do that.

Pete

Return to “Equipment & Technical”