Auspod vs MPOD for beginner

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Jack_Aus

Auspod vs MPOD for beginner

#1 Postby Jack_Aus » Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:04 pm

G’day everyone

Recently took up f class. Leaning towards ftr.
In the process of getting my rifle set up and can’t decide between the Auspod or Mpod?
I’m running an AI AT so it’s a heavy beast to begin with, want to try and keep my weight down so I can get a 30” spun up eventually.
For those with the Auspod, does anyone have the weight? I can’t seem to find it anywhere.
For a beginner would the adjustability of the Auspod be an advantage over the fixed Mpod?

Apologies for all the questions guys, trying to get everything squared away.

Cheers
Jackson
Last edited by Jack_Aus on Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ErrolW

Re: Auspod vs MPOD for beginner

#2 Postby ErrolW » Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:07 pm

Mpod is about 370 grams and normally suited to a stock with 2 to 2.5 inch wide forend. Auspod is probably about 450 grams . I have never used any if these but I would look around at what others are using that are up the top end of the ftr ladder. I use a set joypod wouldn't use anything else . Get a hold of Seb Australia or Jason Mayer .

Barossa_222

#3 Postby Barossa_222 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:21 pm

I have a joypod and an auspod. The joypod runs around 550gm. The auspod 450gms. I don't know what an mpod is, but if you look to see what the top guys are running that'll give you an idea of where to start. FYI for coached shooting I find the joypod without peer.

Tim L

#4 Postby Tim L » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:37 am

I would say the choice depends on your shooting style. I started off in FTR holding the gun and used an Mpod on a spongy front mat and a small wedge under the butt. Moving back a forth gave a bit of elevation adjustment. Set the cross hairs at 12 oclock on the 6 ring. Tighten up without moving them, pull the forestock down to the x and snd it.
It was effective with good results and a very good traning tool, but slow, too slow for upper end team shooting.
The Auspod is, imo, better used in free recoil. It will, most likely, give better results in short order but you'll be learning a lot of bad habits (or at least not learning the good ones).
If you want an opinion, go with the Mpod to start and teach yourself to shoot properly first. It's a low cost option and a great bipod to have as a spare anyway (ozpods and joypods break!).
Alternatively, get the auspod, get good results in the short term and spend the rest of your shooting career wondering why you can win the odd range but never win the agg.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”