Tikka T3X Calibre Conversion

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Weairy

Tikka T3X Calibre Conversion

#1 Postby Weairy » Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:18 am

Hi all,

Looking at putting a 223 Tikka T3X together for PSR competitions. However, it seems to be a bit hard to come by a cheaper 223 Tikka at the moment, especially something in a chassis system. There's quite a few 243, 308, 6.5 Creed etc on the market though.

What would be the process to convert from 308 bolt face to 223 in one of these? From what I've read, the Tikka T3X actions are all the same, and so are the bolts, it's just the bolt head that changes? I don't know much about these at all.
Josh Weaire
Nagambie R.C.
I'm not Craig, if you want to contact him, email on c.weaire@bigpond.com

JezL

Re: Tikka T3X Calibre Conversion

#2 Postby JezL » Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:59 am

Hey mate,
I have a 223 and 308 (T3 tikka) ... I can swap bolts between them as they are the same action lengths across all T3 actions. This was just to test when I was considering a barrel switch set-up. So It should be possible.

So technically it should just be a matter of finding a 223 bolt or bolt body then getting new barrel and headspaced to suit ? ... not sure how easy they are to source however?
Bolt bodys are sold single piece.
Regards,
Jez

Brad Y

#3 Postby Brad Y » Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:44 pm

You can’t convert a 308 bolt to 223 in a tikka that I’m aware of. Speak to a dealer and they may be able to source a bolt from the importer but my bets is you will have to send the rifle off. Easier to buy a donor action or rifle- 222/223/204 and get a custom barrel done up on it, then get an aftermarket chassis for if you want one. At least then it’s done right the first time.

BD28

#4 Postby BD28 » Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:35 pm

You could keep an eye out for an unwanted 204 ruger thats been shot out too.

Weairy

#5 Postby Weairy » Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:27 pm

Brad Y wrote:You can’t convert a 308 bolt to 223 in a tikka that I’m aware of. Speak to a dealer and they may be able to source a bolt from the importer but my bets is you will have to send the rifle off. Easier to buy a donor action or rifle- 222/223/204 and get a custom barrel done up on it, then get an aftermarket chassis for if you want one. At least then it’s done right the first time.

Pretty much what I'm trying to do, just anything in a 223 bolt face is expensive. There's a lot of cheaper 308s and 243s getting around which was why I asked the question. I'll be tossing a new barrel at it straight away.
Josh Weaire
Nagambie R.C.

BATattack

#6 Postby BATattack » Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:23 pm

By the time you buy a 308, a replacement bolt (if you can get one) or have it modified the money that you saved on the initial purchase will likely be gone. Like Brad mentioned Beretta Australia MIGHT sell you a bolt but will probably ask you to send them the rifle to ensure its fitted correctly which it won't because it won't have a factory 223 barrel in it.

I was in a similar position and decided to go with a Howa instead of a tikka because I can buy a barreled action, remove and sell the barrel and end up with a complete action for about $500 which is less than you'll pay for a a bolt alone for a tikka. This could also be a multiple factor of savings if you end up with several barreled actions that fit the same chassis. I have several tikkas and like them so this is just based on cost and flexibility not being biased toward Howa over tikka.

Tim L

#7 Postby Tim L » Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:08 pm

What might a Tikka Action with a 223 bolt be worth in this situation.
I mean, if a bloke happened to have one from a failed project, that might be missing the ejector.

JezL

#8 Postby JezL » Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:25 pm

I sold a Tikka T3 Action (Action and Bolt only) on usedguns recently for $500 ... Literally sold in minutes haha! So I would say that's a low starting point ...
Regards,
Jez

Weairy

#9 Postby Weairy » Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:26 pm

Tim L wrote:What might a Tikka Action with a 223 bolt be worth in this situation.
I mean, if a bloke happened to have one from a failed project, that might be missing the ejector.

Probably worth $150, but I’ll give you $200 because I’m a generous fella?

Depends a lot on the combo. I’ve seen a couple come up <$1000 in every other calibre but also seen them up to $3-4k still in a factory stock and barrel with a half reasonable scope. Seems a huge spread of variance with these things.
Josh Weaire
Nagambie R.C.

Tim L

#10 Postby Tim L » Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:07 pm

:lol: Man, that's so generous :lol: :lol:
Seriously though, I'm not looking to get rid of it but I also know the project I bought it for is going nowhere. I have a Tikka 222 sitting in my safe but you won't be getting the barrel.
I'll have to find the ejector pin and spring, Let's say I know where they aren't and leave it at that. But other than that its a Tikka action.
Make it your best offer.

Weairy

#11 Postby Weairy » Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:26 pm

Tim L wrote::lol: Man, that's so generous :lol: :lol:
Seriously though, I'm not looking to get rid of it but I also know the project I bought it for is going nowhere. I have a Tikka 222 sitting in my safe but you won't be getting the barrel.
I'll have to find the ejector pin and spring, Let's say I know where they aren't and leave it at that. But other than that its a Tikka action.
Make it your best offer.

For just an action, assuming no rail/rings, assuming T3, not T3X? I'm probably around that $300 mark to be honest. I can go and buy a new T3X lite for $1300. Without a stock, barrel, magazine, rail, rings etc etc that I might salvage/resell from another second-hander, it's hard to justify spending any more than that.
Josh Weaire
Nagambie R.C.

Mick_762

#12 Postby Mick_762 » Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:28 pm

Josh,
If your not in a hurry - just keep an eye out in the usual places for a .223 bolt.
I “made my own” switch barrel Tikka combo, can do from .223 bolt to WSM Bolt all built on the CTR action.
3 bolts and 5 barrels - one action.
David Mickel
Darwin Rifle Club

Weairy

#13 Postby Weairy » Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:04 pm

Mick_762 wrote:Josh,
If your not in a hurry - just keep an eye out in the usual places for a .223 bolt.
I “made my own” switch barrel Tikka combo, can do from .223 bolt to WSM Bolt all built on the CTR action.
3 bolts and 5 barrels - one action.

That's what I'm hoping for. 223 bolt to set up for PSR, 308 bolt to play with a 6mm something for S/H.
Josh Weaire
Nagambie R.C.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”