Barnard trigger problems

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Lachlan

Barnard trigger problems

#1 Postby Lachlan » Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:10 pm

Howdy,

Recently installed a light spring kit in my Barnard, yet I’m not able to get it installed correctly, mostly to the Barnard website being down and minimal info on YouTube… it’s slam firing as I close the bolt.

Anyone have the instructions handy or know some tips and tricks? I’ve contacted Barnard but god knows when I’ll hear back..

Cheers,
Lachlan

PeteFox

Re: Barnard trigger problems

#2 Postby PeteFox » Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:35 pm

scott/r

#3 Postby scott/r » Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:39 pm

FB_IMG_1560156881040.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Matt P

#4 Postby Matt P » Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:25 am

You wont get it down lower than about 5-6 oz. If you try and get it any lower you will have "slam fire" issues.
Also do you have the original firing pin assembly fitted ?? There are quite a few aftermarket pin assemblies out there that use belville washers instead of a coil spring, due to the increased load you wont be able to get the trigger set as low as with the factory pin assembly.
Bix and Andy offer a trigger that will get down to 1-2 oz will only cost around $900.
Regards
Matt Paroz

Pablolig

#5 Postby Pablolig » Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:35 am

Hi Matt,
Is that B&A trigger available?
Is it a straight fit, no modifications required for a Barnard P?
Thanks,

Lachlan

#6 Postby Lachlan » Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:03 am

Thanks for all the replies.

That YouTube video is what I used to swap springs, it doesn’t detail how to set the trigger.

There are instructions on how to set sear and trigger weight, but nothing on how to get close, no matter where the adjustment screws are I still have the same problem.

I wonder why Barnards website and Facebook are down?

Audax

#7 Postby Audax » Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:19 pm

@lachlan....in the image above the #11 spring is not normally in a standard trigger that I have ever seen.

Adjustment is easy and firstly you replace #10 with a light standard Barnard spring and adjust it only enough that it will return the striker to engage with the sear.

Then back off #7 and engage the bolt. Gently screw #7 in until the firing pin releases, then back off again one quarter turn at a time until firing pin will not slam fire. If the problem is not resolving after the screw has been unscrewed one half a turn there is another mechanical problem with the engagement and you need to resolve that.

A trick to overcome trigger pressures when fitting stronger firing pin springs on these triggers is to remove the mills pin at #15, and replace it with a stronger spring and a grub screw to provide external adjustment. With a heavy Barnard firing pin spring it is possible to get 2.5oz on these triggers with this modification......very nice and repeatable performance. Standard Barnard firing pin spring will achieve even less trigger release pressures, but be aware this also increases resistance on the firing pin locking lug which needs to be kept lubricated for optimum performance.

willow

#8 Postby willow » Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:34 pm

Pablolig wrote:Hi Matt,
Is that B&A trigger available?
Is it a straight fit, no modifications required for a Barnard P?
Thanks,

You will require modification to your stock as the BnA trigger sits further back.

Pablolig

#9 Postby Pablolig » Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:29 pm

Thank you Willow

Return to “Equipment & Technical”