First custom rifle build

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Lachlan

First custom rifle build

#1 Postby Lachlan » Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:31 pm

Hi all!

Building my first custom rifle after a year and a bit shooting F-Open with factory rifles and a Joypod.. I feel like I’ve shot and loaded for the rifles to their full potential, I have shot heaps of 125’s and a few possibles here and there, but wasn’t ‘top level’ competitive at my first prize shoot. Finally bit the bullet, sold some rifles and have started acquiring bits. I’ll use this space to ask questions or gain advice from more knowledgeable shooters!

List of what I have so far..

Barnard P - second hand/super low round count
Barnard light trigger spring
Bat rings
WildDog 20moa rail
Seb Mini with full Blake upgrades

I’ll order my barrel soon, luckily I live 10 minutes away from Maddco. What twist rate suits 180gn hybrids for a 284W?

Also, anyone install a Barnard ‘light trigger spring’? How light did it get you?

Thanks,
Lachlan McGovern
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Pablolig

Re: First custom rifle build

#2 Postby Pablolig » Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:57 pm

8.5 to 9 twist
I’d go with 32” finished

Good luck!!

saum2

#3 Postby saum2 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:05 pm

I installed light Barnard springs, the trigger adjustment always seemed to move with straight through shots, had it adjusted several times with the same result after a couple of weeks.
Finally got a South 16 from Marty and was the best thing ever. (trigger)
I had better luck with 7mm 180VLD's and 8T barrels and straight 284's. Some button and some cut barrels but all shot very well in comps.

Old Trev-39

#4 Postby Old Trev-39 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:53 pm

I have had no trouble with the light spring in one of my Barnards. Marty's triggers sure are sweet. Not sure if he is going to make any more. Have shot 180 V.L.D. 184 Hybrid and 183 M/K. out of 8T barrel all good. Have had a few Maddco barrels and all have shot well. My first Maddco .284 barrel holds the Townsville L/G. 1000yd. B/R. group record of 3.188" using 180 M/K. out of a 9 t barrel. Have shot other barrels but no better than Maddco and a bit cheaper. Just my thoughts.
Cheers,
Trevor.

willow

#5 Postby willow » Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:23 pm

Lachlan, the Barnard trigger should settle around 6-7 ounces if I'm not mistaken, plenty light enough for a good F-Open gun. Maddco being button rifled either do a 9 or an 8 twist barrel. A 9 twist will work with 180gr hybrids but an 8 certainly won't hurt. Maddco finish their barrels at 32 which means you should be able to run at 31" finished - that's what my latest barrel will finish at when it's eventually chambered up (it's also an 8 twist). The stock you have coming is one of the best money can buy and will track like a dream with your setup - the rest will be the wind call you make.

Lachlan

#6 Postby Lachlan » Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:42 pm

Finally getting it all pieced together.

Got my RV stock in the mail today, amazing quality, lightweight and quick turnaround. Bought a brand new Nightforce comp from a member here for a bargain. Just waiting on Maddco to give me a ring to pickup the barrel, then hand it all to Phil at Redback Precision to put it all together.

I’ll need to get a new rear bag now to suit the stock, thinking Lenzi since BRT have stock atm. Also after an adjustable buttpad. I like the look of the McMillan ones, anyone know of ANY adj. buttpads in Aus?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

willow

#7 Postby willow » Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:12 pm

Lachlan wrote:Finally getting it all pieced together.

Got my RV stock in the mail today, amazing quality, lightweight and quick turnaround. Bought a brand new Nightforce comp from a member here for a bargain. Just waiting on Maddco to give me a ring to pickup the barrel, then hand it all to Phil at Redback Precision to put it all together.

I’ll need to get a new rear bag now to suit the stock, thinking Lenzi since BRT have stock atm. Also after an adjustable buttpad. I like the look of the McMillan ones, anyone know of ANY adj. buttpads in Aus?

Nice looking stock Lachlan, should come up a treat with a few layers of high gloss clear coat on it, and a barrel of course! I can vouch for the Lenzi rear bags - I've got 2 of them and they're wonderfully stable. Not sure on the adjustable buttpads sorry, but I do run the RAD system and while they're not cheap, they work very well.

Tim78

#8 Postby Tim78 » Thu May 19, 2022 10:45 am

Lachlan wrote:Finally getting it all pieced together.

What was the stock worth?

Lachlan

#9 Postby Lachlan » Thu May 19, 2022 12:05 pm

It was $880 posted from memory. Super quick turnaround and postage.

Lachlan

#10 Postby Lachlan » Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:19 pm

Well, it’s all done!

Super thankful to Phil Jones at Redback Precision Equipment for building such a nice rifle! He really looked after me and even game me a prototype tuner to try out, he also left a message on the barrel for me..

The group pictured are the first 7 shots out of the rifle, with a random powder charge, seating depth, new brass and cheap fireforming bullets all shot in pouring rain. The rest of the 50 shot break in looked similar. No I need to find a load before our district shoot in 2 weeks

JezL

#11 Postby JezL » Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:59 pm

Looks great mate!! Phil does top work!

Pm Sent .... Any details on that Adj Buttpad ?
Regards,
Jez

Lachlan

#12 Postby Lachlan » Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:05 pm

It’s a McMillan 3 way, I bought it from Gunstocks Aus

Return to “Equipment & Technical”