F Standard Projectiles Rules ?

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

superx10

Re: F Standard Projectiles Rules ?

#16 Postby superx10 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:35 am

The link below takes you to a great article with John whidden shooting a TR .223, 32 inc barrel with very impressive velocities using both the 80.5 and the 90 gr barrel twist......?
Yes Redhawk agree totally with Belmont

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/202 ... 7uKo3gDkJs

RDavies

#17 Postby RDavies » Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:05 pm

Another issue with 223s from what I've heard is being able to get the ES/SD down far enough for long range shooting, ie 900-1000yds. It seems even the most pedantic reloaders cant get the ES/SD of the 223 close to what 308 shooters are. I'm still keen to build a 223 f/tr rifle to use for typical OPMs which unfortunately usually only go out to 600yds, a distance which does not require super low ES/SD.

superx10

#18 Postby superx10 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:37 pm

Interesting, most the old guys I know who use a .223 don't own or use chronographs, that was my intention as well FTR at the shorts up to 700 yards, but a great choice for some one on a fixed income ie pension as it amounts to cheap shooting low recoil, one old block at a local range has 5000 shots on his barrel and he will embarrass you no problem if you don't stay on your game.

GSells

#19 Postby GSells » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:16 pm

Yeah faster twist for cal seem a lot harder to tune ! Of topic , sort of , but especially at Belmont chop . I would rather shoot 180 Vld’s or hybrids in a 9 twist than 190’s in a fast twist . Or better put . I would rather shoot a lower BC projectile that is properly stabilised than say a 180 eld that is partially stable.
180 eld’s are a fine bullet but in my 9 twist Bart or Lilja’ at Belmont or even at my Chinchilla home range . They just get huge vertical! But they work well in calm conditions!
Belmont is in my opinion now one of the toughest ranges around , because of the wind shear causing vertical! Very Northarm like now . Lots of fun of you get it right . Or lots of head scratching and fetal positions , whilst sucking ones thumb saying “ Mum ma , Mum ma “ :lol:

Oh yeah , what were we talking about lol! That’s right .223 ! Yep wouldn’t have a clue ! As for a cheap 7 mm opm Queen . You can’t go past the lil 7/08 ai ! I shot that thing weekend just gone at 700 yd fly shoot and it was near bullet hole on hole when the conditions were there to support that ! Yep …. I know I actually found my rifle lol! Yep it did have the 7/08 in it haha! Anyway after 3000 rounds at a guess and bore scoping the 7/08 it looks ugly but it just shoots ! Very low ES .
Below photo yes is only a check group of 3 shots . But it just does it all the time as long as I reload it right ! And that powder was just of the charge master !
Oh yeah .223 !! Yep still got nothing. :shock:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

superx10

#20 Postby superx10 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:19 am

Hi G you are one of te lucky shooters who reside north and still shooting very tough on NSW and Vic shooters' at the moment, 700 FLY that's great mate but were was the group centered fly shooting is for score send a pick in ha ha how many fly's, If the velocities posted are fo1 a 180 grain freedom pill out of a 7mm /08 that is impressive, but the new 284 brass is a game changer no fireforming neck turning expanding and the current USA F open champ got there with a straight .284.

1000 yards at Belmont this week end in summer heat come try and say hello, or Wondai just up the Rd bring back old memories. Cheers sorry to hear about old John G.

GSells

#21 Postby GSells » Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:10 am

Yeh Wondai , Memories of when we’re a bit younger too lol! I won’t be back this year other than club that I can see atm. If your talking about John G I haven’t heard ? Group at a guess was 2” excluding the one I dropped 6 o’clock 3 ring . So the score was 66.?? Out of 8 . Don’t have the silver mountain tgt to show lol! Haha! It wouldn’t down load for the RO .

Return to “Equipment & Technical”