How to shoot 20 shot groups smaller than the bullet diameter

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

PeteFox

How to shoot 20 shot groups smaller than the bullet diameter

#1 Postby PeteFox » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:02 pm

I’ve paraphrased this information from some posts on accurateshooter.com, that I discovered while searching for a Juenke machine tester. Not a Juenke machine to test bullets, but a machine that could test Juenke machines.

Not being satisfied that my Juenke machine could accurately detect jacket thickness variation reliably and accurately enough to catch those bullets that were out of spec. enough to make my groups bigger than bullet diameter, I needed a machine to test the Juenke to make sure the Juenke wasn’t juenke.

I was doubting the Juenke because my groups WERE bigger than bullet diameter. A situation that needed a new gadget to fix it.

In this journey I discovered that a book published in 1997 entitled “1,739 Easy Steps to Preparing your Brass for Reloading” had all the answers, but was unobtainable and no one had ever heard of it. So I continued the search.

I then discovered the art of powder sorting by weight and the correct way to drill out the centre of powder kernels to even up the weight of each kernel.

And what about Optimum Barrel Time (OBT) and Optimum Charge Weight (OCW), but surely that’s all covered in the 1739 easy steps.

The quote from Steve Blair in 2010 below covers it all, I just wasn’t doing enough to reduce my group size. I needed to do more, much more!
“Having read several posts about load optimization theories, I would like to post my own. You all know about OBT (Optimal Barrel Time) and OCW (Optimal Charge Weight). My theory is called OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder). It involves endless fussing over the smallest details of cartridge construction and dimensions and interminable load tests (Audette ladders, Baney ladders, Aluminum ladders (both step and extension) and, the ultimate; Round Robin, Third Party, Double Blind, Mechanical Rest, Tunnel Tests). OCD may not actually result in a single round fired in competition or afield, but provides the satisfaction of knowing that no detail, however insignificant, is overlooked. Using OCD techniques, it is possible to find the ultimate load for a rifle easily within 2 or 3 barrels, 4 tops. [br]
Another important aspect of OCD is the collection and detailed knowledge of every handloading gadget, fixture, gauge, press or other device known to humankind. The more obscure, both origin and purpose, the better. Proper OCD use of these tools can winnow a full production run of brass to a set of 5 cases that are completely indistinguishable from each other. A new breakthrough area is the emerging use of scanning, tunneling electron microscopy to sort brass on the sub-atomic level, eliminating molecular variances demonstrated to produce flyers. Less powerful optical microscopes are useful when sorting powder into kernel groups. I corresponded with a well-known (in the OCD community) powder-sorter and learned a great deal of useful information that I plan to apply in my next load series. We all wish him well and hope for an early release from the state facility. He had a few problems that needed attention after sorting an 80-pound lot of H335. Dynamic bullet-spinning fixtures help us to sort bullets based on true gyroscopic data gathered at rotational rates equal to those experienced during firing. One of these devices recently became unstable and sheared 12, grade 8, 1/2" mounting bolts. When the fixture stopped bouncing around the shop forty-five minutes later, we were able to determine that a few thousandths of bullet jacket separated during testing, catastrophically destabilizing it. If we had not caught it, that flawed bullet might actually have been fired, ruining the group. Group measurement is another important area that separates OCD from less exact systems. All groups are fired with a 1000x telescope that allows use of a sewing needle point as aiming reference. Triply-redundant Laser interferometers provide group measurement precision to 200 nanometers, eliminating most ties. [br]
OCD is a dedicated discipline and not for everyone. While it does not need to be fully applied in all aspects to have beneficial results, one cannot call oneself truly OCD until there are no more details to examine. Thankfully, we have not yet reached that point and the quest continues”

Having been diagnosed long ago with ODD (Oppositional Defiance Disorder), I’m doing none of it.
I'm going to devote my energy to developing a machine that can dial up the weather so that I can get out and send some wonky bullets downrange. Should be easier.
Apologies to those in lockdown.
Can you see yourself?
Don't take it personally, I'm just taking the piss
Pete

Havnfun

Re: How to shoot 20 shot groups smaller than the bullet diameter

#2 Postby Havnfun » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:47 pm

Love it =D>

pjifl

#3 Postby pjifl » Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:37 pm

There is no cure for OCD and ODD.

But Relief may be obtained.

You just have to keep buying more and more specialized equipment to satiate the compulsive disorder.

Peter Smith.

Redhawk

#4 Postby Redhawk » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:16 pm

LoL, good one Peter, only possible on a specific date every year.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”