What to buy next - just starting out F standard

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Bobcat

What to buy next - just starting out F standard

#1 Postby Bobcat » Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:45 pm

G'day All,

Been reloading for many years, several calibers and still have the Lee breech lock challenger kit. All this gear and I can get what I think are good hand loads, just takes time with the balance beam.

I've just started in shooting F standard and my groups at 700m are not that great and yet can put them through the same hole at 100m. Using an Omark with 30 inch madco barrel in a custom stock, AR2208, HBC 155gr, lapua case, Rem 9 1/2 primers. These are the components I've managed to get (or already had), noting many shortages this year in stores and now can't actually travel.

I'm happy with loading techniques through trial and error and help from this site and others, got bullet and head space gauges measuring shoulder bump and base to ogive length to get consistent lengths, case trim, measure each charge etc. I've got a front rest that will do for now (Davies style) and rear bag.

On my list of things I would like to have are the following in no particular order:
Magnetospeed V3 chronograph to see how my load(s) are going an whether or not I'm on the money or way off for a variety of rifles not just 308.
RCBS chargemaster light to speed up reloading time.
Neck turning kit.
Flame/torch annealer.

I'd put a scope on the list, however I'll just wait until end of next year. Looking at sightron, NF BR, GE and there are probably others and that's another time for another time.

Anyway, if you had your time again as far as load development and expanding your tool set to improve reloading, what would you purchase? Money is always an obstacle, that's why I've not put a scope on there. Let's say got $800 to spend. If there is something that's not on the list then feel free to add. Everyone has their views and I'm just after some of these to help me try and move forward.

AlanF

Re: What to buy next - just starting out F standard

#2 Postby AlanF » Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:08 pm

Bobcat wrote:...Anyway, if you had your time again as far as load development and expanding your tool set to improve reloading, what would you purchase? Money is always an obstacle, that's why I've not put a scope on there. Let's say got $800 to spend. If there is something that's not on the list then feel free to add. Everyone has their views and I'm just after some of these to help me try and move forward.

Don't take this the wrong way Bobcat, but if I was you, I'd continue with your current setup, try to get the best out of it with what gear you have, and keep adding to that $800 until you have enough to upgrade to a better action. Omarks are a good choice to get started on a low budget, but they will not benefit much from things like neck turning, annealing, and velocity measuring, because you will always be up against their inherent limitations. And as for getting a Chargemaster, how important is it to save a few minutes per week reloading time if you're prepared to do things like neck turning which will take all that saved time back and much more. Having a good custom action which gets the job done without any quirks and compromises is a good foundation to have, and you'll then get the best bang for your buck out of further expenditure on advanced reloading capabilities.

Brad Y

#3 Postby Brad Y » Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:46 am

Agreed, you can probably pick up a second hand barnard for 1500 or so. Definite next investment. Would be looking at different projectiles too, nothing too positive heard from people trying hbc’s. Try the Sierra lapua or Berger 155gr offerings.

Bobcat

#4 Postby Bobcat » Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:19 am

AlanF wrote:
Bobcat wrote:...Anyway, if you had your time again as far as load development and expanding your tool set to improve reloading, what would you purchase? Money is always an obstacle, that's why I've not put a scope on there. Let's say got $800 to spend. If there is something that's not on the list then feel free to add. Everyone has their views and I'm just after some of these to help me try and move forward.

Don't take this the wrong way Bobcat, but if I was you, I'd continue with your current setup, try to get the best out of it with what gear you have, and keep adding to that $800 until you have enough to upgrade to a better action. Omarks are a good choice to get started on a low budget, but they will not benefit much from things like neck turning, annealing, and velocity measuring, because you will always be up against their inherent limitations. And as for getting a Chargemaster, how important is it to save a few minutes per week reloading time if you're prepared to do things like neck turning which will take all that saved time back and much more. Having a good custom action which gets the job done without any quirks and compromises is a good foundation to have, and you'll then get the best bang for your buck out of further expenditure on advanced reloading capabilities.

And this is the information I'm after. Some may say buy this or that whereas save for a better all round setup. Thanks AlanF.

Bobcat

#5 Postby Bobcat » Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:29 am

Brad Y wrote:Agreed, you can probably pick up a second hand barnard for 1500 or so. Definite next investment. Would be looking at different projectiles too, nothing too positive heard from people trying hbc’s. Try the Sierra lapua or Berger 155gr offerings.

Brad Y, would that be just the barreled action or complete rifle with stock? I've been using HBCs for years in another competition, purchased a heap for a great price so that's what I've got for now.

tachyon

#6 Postby tachyon » Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:24 pm

If you can group to 1 hole at 100m you clearly have the load and rifle working well.

At distance the following things come into play

1) Muzzle velocity variation - for example if you have some projectiles at 3000 fps and some at 3050 fps the drop changes from -148.1 to -142.4 inches so there is 6 inches of vertical
2) Bullet BC variation - bullets with slightly more open tips fall out of the group at 6 o'clock
3) Bullet jacket consistency - even slight imbalances cause dispersion
4) Parallax - if you don't set this properly your aim point is moving
5) Mirage - in the heat the target will move up on a boil and down and to the side as crosswind kicks in and there is (effectively) 7 x the mirage at 700m than at 100m
6) Wind - with the HBC 155 at 3000fps each 1 mph of crosswind represents 5.01 inches deflection
7) Harmonic variations due to having less than state of the art gear belong at the end of the list of reasons (if the rifle shoots well at 100)

Malcolm Hill

#7 Postby Malcolm Hill » Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:13 pm

Brad Y Starting out in F standard he probably shouldn't be trying out Lapua projectiles because as far as I know they are not yet approved for the class. Due to the skyrocketing price of Bergers and Sierras though it is about time that the NRAA opened it up to any projectile under 156 grains to allow Lapuas, Hornady's and Copperheads to have a go at the market. It's very annoying that the approved projectiles seem to keep increasing in price but the likes of Hornady's ELD's are still quite affordable. Most people I know are sick of the price gouging that is going on just due to what projectiles are legal. HBC's were affordable but I haven't seen any for sale anywhere for a while now. The last Bergers I bought went from $68-00 a hundred to over $90-00 so will be the last ones I buy. I am not inclined to keep someone else rich just because cheaper just as good projectiles are not legal. Regards Malcolm.

Brad Y

#8 Postby Brad Y » Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:06 pm

Bobcat wrote:
Brad Y wrote:Agreed, you can probably pick up a second hand barnard for 1500 or so. Definite next investment. Would be looking at different projectiles too, nothing too positive heard from people trying hbc’s. Try the Sierra lapua or Berger 155gr offerings.

Brad Y, would that be just the barreled action or complete rifle with stock? I've been using HBCs for years in another competition, purchased a heap for a great price so that's what I've got for now.

I got a barrelled action for 1500, sold the barrel for 300. Put a new firing pin spring in and screwed a new barrel on. 20moa Rail cost me 100 bucks or so. The main thing with the barnard and putting a new spring in was making sure that ignition was going to be consistent. Its put a few 10 shots strings down with ES of 10 SD under 4. Holds great elevation at long range. I’ve had a few actions now and this one has been the best performer in terms of consistent ignition and it’s helped a lot for long range shooting.

disb

#9 Postby disb » Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:57 am

Malcolm Hill wrote:Brad Y Starting out in F standard he probably shouldn't be trying out Lapua projectiles because as far as I know they are not yet approved for the class. Due to the skyrocketing price of Bergers and Sierras though it is about time that the NRAA opened it up to any projectile under 156 grains to allow Lapuas, Hornady's and Copperheads to have a go at the market. It's very annoying that the approved projectiles seem to keep increasing in price but the likes of Hornady's ELD's are still quite affordable. Most people I know are sick of the price gouging that is going on just due to what projectiles are legal. HBC's were affordable but I haven't seen any for sale anywhere for a while now. The last Bergers I bought went from $68-00 a hundred to over $90-00 so will be the last ones I buy. I am not inclined to keep someone else rich just because cheaper just as good projectiles are not legal. Regards Malcolm.

Lapua was mentioned in the latest NRAA email.

Malcolm Hill

#10 Postby Malcolm Hill » Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:46 am

disb. Looked on the NRAA website and haven't seen anything listed and haven't seen anything come out from the state association regarding Lapua's inclusion in the approved projectiles. Things don't seem to get updated very well on the NRAA website lately. It was once a directive of the NRAA that until something was posted on their website it was not legal. The information these days seems to be a bit slow getting out to the members when it happens. Maybe if someone has the email they could post it on here. Also if someone knows the status of Optimus HBC's they could let us know if they are still available. Thanks. Regards Malcolm.

Malcolm Hill

#11 Postby Malcolm Hill » Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:01 am

Hi disb. Just went through the SSR's and yes the Lapua is on the approved list. Can't say I ever saw any info come through on that one. Regards Malcolm.

UL1700

#12 Postby UL1700 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:17 am

Malcolm Hill wrote:Hi disb. Just went through the SSR's and yes the Lapua is on the approved list. Can't say I ever saw any info come through on that one. Regards Malcolm.

Members update #52, emailed last Friday.

Malcolm Hill

#13 Postby Malcolm Hill » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:36 am

UL1700. Members update no.52 is not on the NRAA website as yet but the Lapua projectiles show up in the approved projectiles list in the SSR's. They are great at getting the information to the members. Regards Malcolm.

Matt P

#14 Postby Matt P » Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:18 pm

Malcolm,
I think the lack of communication could be because of SARA, not giving SARA members details to the NRAA.
As a NSWRA member the updates are sent directly to me rather via the state association.
I could be wrong but that has been an issue in the past.
Regards
Matt Paroz

ReneZ

#15 Postby ReneZ » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:15 am

Hi Matt, that's interesting as I'm a NSWRA member but don't get those updates. I do get others like the recent one on upcoming elections.
Brgds, Rene
Rene Z.

F/TR @ Inverell RSM Civilian RC

Return to “Equipment & Technical”