Adjusting Davies 2 stage trigger

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Hewi

Adjusting Davies 2 stage trigger

#1 Postby Hewi » Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:30 pm

Hi All,
Another trigger question!
The Davies on my Musgrave is still set at 1.5kg so I want to lighten that one also. I found some Davies trigger information on the web through this forum but the drawing did not look like my trigger.
Then luckily I found the instructions from Davies that came with the trigger I bought for my Omark and it matches the one on my Musgrave. I have attached both pages so they may help others.
It is clear that screw D adjusts the trigger pressure so that is all cool. However, the two different Davies pages have conflicting advice on lubricating the sear, one says to do it and the other says not (underlined).
Hence my question on the RPA trigger a few days ago, are trigger sears meant to be lubricated or not?
Appreciate any feedback.
Cheers,
Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hewi

Re: Adjusting Davies 2 stage trigger

#2 Postby Hewi » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:39 pm

Hmm, hearing crickets on this one!
Google is not much help as the internet seems to be fairly equally split on lube/no lube.
In the interests of science I have tried greasing the sear of the Davies and compared to the un-greased sear there is a lack of consistency in let off with the grease. There will be a number of perfectly fine releases and then one that releases unexpectedly. This doesn't happen when the sear is degreased. Note that was with the 4 thou sear engagement recommended by Davies, maybe it would work with a larger engagement?
Anyway, seems like no lube for now. Anybody with any views feel free.
Cheers,
Dave

saum2

#3 Postby saum2 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:18 pm

Ok, I never grease the sear, But i do clean the trigger and very lightly lube it. When I shot TR I never did any trigger maintenance except for a clean in 2 stoke fuel. (a few years ago now)
Instructions clearly read DO NOT Lube sear faces.
I've had a Davies trigger and see the instructions as a guide. It's for you to adjust to your requirements remembering the trigger was designed for TR and FS in mind when triggers were required to have 1.5kgs plus release.

scott/r

#4 Postby scott/r » Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:04 am

Dave, I just give my triggers a bath in metho when needed. Just splash them around in a small tub, give them bit of shake to get most of the metho off and let them dry on a bit of paper towel. That's for my Davies, Barnard and RPA gold triggers.
Scott.

Hewi

#5 Postby Hewi » Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:16 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys.
I did follow the Davies lubrication instructions and then degreased the sear and the trigger feels fine. I did wonder about rust on the sear when there was no oil but I guess regular use stops that. The two stroke oil suggestion is interesting as that would leave a very thin oil film which would help there.
I have taken the RPA trigger apart and it was full of old oil. I degreased it and followed the lube instructions (but not the sear\bent connection) and it seems very crisp so I will have a go at adjusting to the lower weight now.
I appreciate the help, I'm just trying to learn about things most of you here already know.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”