Eagle Eyes

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

CamoWhamo

Eagle Eyes

#1 Postby CamoWhamo » Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:58 pm

Can anyone school me on Eagle Eyes.

I bought a front sight that came with a 0.5 diopter eagle eye.
There's no guarantee that the sight i bought has been assembled correctly. I suspect it might not be.

Anyways. I've never used an Eagle eye before so not exactly sure of it's purpose, where it should be placed and it's effect.

The lens is a convex shape. Which way should it be mounted? Curve towards the target or towards the shooter.
It seems that it goes in front of the iris which means the target is magnified and the iris is a larger size to compensate?
When looking through the sight the target** image is not as sharp as i would like. Is this normal? I wear contacts for distance vision and am old enough that i need reading glasses but i have no issues focusing on the front sight or target without an eagle eye.

**Being in lockdown i can't visit the range so i don't have an extended distance to properly check the sight.

NDOliver

Re: Eagle Eyes

#2 Postby NDOliver » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:36 pm

Place the eagle eye in front of the ring or adjustable aperture, so on the target side of the ring.
The concave side should then be facing you.
Look into the concave side with the convex side pointing towards the target.
The aiming mark may be blurry if you are focussed on the front ring. The reverse is also possible.
Ideally the focus will be weighted on the front ring.
Your contact lens may get you close but will not take into account the fact that the dioptre is placed 30-36 inches forward, depending on your barrel length.
You may need a 'clearing' lens in the rear sight to get a balance between focussing on the target and the ring, this needs to be made to an optical script, likely to be +/- 0.25 dioptre variance to your distance prescription. It would fit into a holder screwed into your rear sight. Sumo make one for example.
A much easier, but more expensive solution is to fit the Gehman 0.0x adjustable rear lens.
https://gehmann.com/english/products.ph ... tegorie=20

Hope this helps.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”