Stock Length

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

GlennA

Stock Length

#1 Postby GlennA » Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:13 pm

What is the best or most used stock length for fopen with a 32” parallel barrel? I understand ones desired length of pull will have an influence so maybe comments can be in regards to amount of barrel overhang at the front of the stock. What do most wooden stocks weigh? After some feedback on stocks as I’m playing with a build at the moment in 284! Welcome feedback.
There’s a reason for everything!

PeteFox

Re: Stock Length

#2 Postby PeteFox » Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:59 pm

The biggest problem you will have with a 32" parallel barrel is making the weight. Choose your stock and scope carefully and start to weigh components before purchasing.
I am going through the exercise at the moment and I have just scraped in at 9990g
Pete

ErrolW

#3 Postby ErrolW » Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:27 am

What is your current stock weight Pete and what timber is it made out of. Most laminate stocks will finish around the 1.7 to 2.2 kgs depending on the timber used. What action are you using Barnard's will weigh about 1.6kg including bolt ,scope would be roughly 1 - 1.5 kgs barrel 4.5 -5 kgs . There's 10.1 kgs on total weight roughly.

PeteFox

#4 Postby PeteFox » Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:24 am

Errol
I have it setup in a MacMillan Kestros. Barnard P action. It is the lightest of the stocks I have
I built this rifle for Match Rifle and also 1500yds which we have on the range here inTas.
With my 6.5 rifle I can't get enough scope elevation at 1500 and end up aiming at the top of the target frame. I don't want a 30 or 40 moa rail because I also want to shoot the short ranges without shooting at the bottom of the adjustment

So in this 284 I have fitted an adjustable elevation Era Tac scope mount (link below) which can add up to 70 moa. Problem is that it is on the heavy side at 400g which is about double the weight of the Spuhr mounts I was using previously. So scope and mount weigh about 1300g.
With this set-up I can wind up 4 clicks on the base (40moa) and use my 300 yard setting at 1500 (that's the theory anyway).

To be legal I have to remove the cheekpiece which I don't use anyway.
If I was doing this again I would buy a fluted barrel.
Pete

https://www.eurooptic.com/era-tac-adjus ... evers.aspx
Last edited by PeteFox on Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

GlennA

#5 Postby GlennA » Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:17 pm

PeteFox wrote:The biggest problem you will have with a 32" parallel barrel is making the weight. Choose your stock and scope carefully and start to weigh components before purchasing.
I am going through the exercise at the moment and I have just scraped in at 9990g
Pete

Barrel 4.9kg unchambered
Barnard 1.406 kg
Scope 0.925 grams
Scope rings 0.166 grams
Pic rail 0.100 grams
Stock just under 2.5kg

cheech

#6 Postby cheech » Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:40 am

GlennA wrote:
PeteFox wrote:The biggest problem you will have with a 32" parallel barrel is making the weight. Choose your stock and scope carefully and start to weigh components before purchasing.
Pete

Barrel 4.9kg unchambered
Barnard 1.406 kg
Scope 0.925 grams
Scope rings 0.166 grams
Pic rail 0.100 grams
Stock just under 2.5kg

My FTR rifles (x2) had 32” parallels and came in weight 8.25kg including the bipod attached

So I don’t really think you open guys should have any problem with 10 kg weight of rifle only :D

PeteFox

#7 Postby PeteFox » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:01 am

Carbon fibre stock?

GlennA

#8 Postby GlennA » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:30 am

Pete

How much of your 32”” barrel overhangs the front end of the stock?

BRETT B

#9 Postby BRETT B » Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:29 pm

GlennA wrote:What is the best or most used stock length for fopen with a 32” parallel barrel? I understand ones desired length of pull will have an influence so maybe comments can be in regards to amount of barrel overhang at the front of the stock. What do most wooden stocks weigh? After some feedback on stocks as I’m playing with a build at the moment in 284! Welcome feedback.

On a standard 13 inch length of pull, I would recommend between 36-38 inch total length with a wood stock for the 7mm.
I have built many stocks for my 7SAUM over many years and after much trial and error , 38 inch is what i make all mine at now.
The stock come in at 2-2.2 kg finished depending on wood density and they easily make weitgh under 10kg. with 32 inch barrel.
Keeping a bit of extra thickness around the action area will help reduce the torque the 7mm's produce..
BRETT BUNYAN F CLASS OPEN SHOOTER W.A.

GlennA

#10 Postby GlennA » Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:43 pm

BRETT B wrote:
GlennA wrote:What is the best or most used stock length for fopen with a 32” parallel barrel? I understand ones desired length of pull will have an influence so maybe comments can be in regards to amount of barrel overhang at the front of the stock. What do most wooden stocks weigh? After some feedback on stocks as I’m playing with a build at the moment in 284! Welcome feedback.

On a standard 13 inch length of pull, I would recommend between 36-38 inch total length with a wood stock for the 7mm.
I have built many stocks for my 7SAUM over many years and after much trial and error , 38 inch is what i make all mine at now.
The stock come in at 2-2.2 kg finished depending on wood density and they easily make weitgh under 10kg. with 32 inch barrel.
Keeping a bit of extra thickness around the action area will help reduce the torque the 7mm's produce..

How much barrel hangs over the front end of your stock?

PeteFox

#11 Postby PeteFox » Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:58 pm

GlennA wrote:
Pete

How much of your 32”” barrel overhangs the front end of the stock?

430mm

BRETT B

#12 Postby BRETT B » Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:28 am

GlennA wrote:
BRETT B wrote:

How much barrel hangs over the front end of your stock?

About 350mm but depends on length of the Action too.

GlennA

#13 Postby GlennA » Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:14 pm

Thanks Brett. I was asking that to try and get a feel for how easy it is to reach the joystick of the f try one rest with a 38” stock that has a front barrel over hang of 12-14”. Sounds like it’s still very manageable!?

BRETT B

#14 Postby BRETT B » Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:27 pm

GlennA wrote:Thanks Brett. I was asking that to try and get a feel for how easy it is to reach the joystick of the f try one rest with a 38” stock that has a front barrel over hang of 12-14”. Sounds like it’s still very manageable!?

Yeah at 38 you can still reach your rest without issue..

Return to “Equipment & Technical”