MDT 6mm BR mags

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Plasmaboy_au

MDT 6mm BR mags

#1 Postby Plasmaboy_au » Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:59 am

I was looking at AICS magazines for an upcoming 6mm brx or dasher build. The MDT mags look good but being 12 rounds, I don’t think its an option for a N.S.W licenced shooter.. any ideas from the brains trust on either getting modified MDT’s or another option that will feed 6mm BR rounds from AICS pattern mags. https://mdttac.com/ca_en/mdt-metal-maga ... ction.html . Thanks, Andrew
Andrew Smith

Weairy

Re: MDT 6mm BR mags

#2 Postby Weairy » Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:10 am

Be interested to know how these go. I was under the impression that a 6BR wouldn't magazine feed, especially with heavier projectiles, as they want to lean forward in the mag and cause issues.
Josh Weaire
Nagambie R.C.
I'm not Craig, if you want to contact him, email on c.weaire@bigpond.com

Plasmaboy_au

#3 Postby Plasmaboy_au » Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:33 am

Andrew Smith

CamoWhamo

#4 Postby CamoWhamo » Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:19 am

The 12rd MDT 6mmBR mags are prohibited in NSW.

I've been through this myself and have tried and tested a few different things.

A lot will depend on your action as much as the magazine.

As far as mags go there are several companies that make Magazine kits which have a spacer and shortened follower designed to work with the BR variants. These kits are typically meant to be used in either the genuine AI brand mags or the Accurate Mag brand mags (with the binder plate).

Masterpiece Arms make one and the Australian importer of MPA (Rhinosports) has some shipping over now and has promised me they're very close.

The other 2 brands are Primal Rights and Patriot Valley Arms. I've seen the PVA kits available at Iceng.com.au but he sold out recently.

If your rifle can use AW mags (double stack, double feed) then there is a company called HRD which makes an AW specific mag kit. These work great if you can find them AND your rifle is specifically setup for AW mags.

If you research any of those kits or the MDT mags you'll find a bunch of anecdotal evidence that they work great for some and cause trouble for others. It really is hit an miss and depends on other factors such as the action, feed ramp and stock.

Lastly, Waters Rifleman makes AI compatible mags for the 6BR cartridges. While these are AI form they're not 100% compatible with all actions. Mr Waters is heavily Tikka focused so his AI mags work great for me in a Tikka in an aftermarket chassis designed for AI mags but did not work so well for me in one of my other rifles with an AW cut mag well.

Lastly i have found that the Steel 5 round AI mags usually work without modification. The Steel 10 rounds will usually be ok if loaded with less than 5.
The Magpul P-Mags also usually work fairly well. The MDT polymer mags don't work well with the short rounds.

If you need any more info feel free to PM me.

Plasmaboy_au

#5 Postby Plasmaboy_au » Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:24 am

Great info Camo, many thanks,

Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith

Kakaduthunder

#6 Postby Kakaduthunder » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:22 pm

After much struggle, I could not get the MDT BR Mags to feed even close to reliably. The AICS mags with the PVA spacer kits work really well if you can get a hold of them.

If your action is cut for it, the AW mags with the HRD kits are the way to go. These feed flawlessly in my deviance deviant.

ajvanwyk

#7 Postby ajvanwyk » Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:08 pm

The only way to go IMHO: (available through LRP Solutions)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Albert
Rosedale Rifle Club
Australian Points Series

Return to “Equipment & Technical”