Lithgow LA105 woomera

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

macguru

Lithgow LA105 woomera

#1 Postby macguru » Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:19 pm

I just had a few questions about the Lithgow LA105 woomera and I thought a few people on here may have bought one so .... (probably 6.5 creedmore)

What do you really think of it ? How good is the action ? How good is the barrel ? What barrel do they use ? I know its more of a PRS/SH rifle but, if you have tried it in FO how did it go ? any 60.xs you can share ? I already have a couple of barnards for FO but if i get another gun for SH/open I want to know whether I have to go the custom route again or save time and buy off the shelf..... The people I have seen with them (Lithgows) at ranges are not necessarily the people I would ask for a review (they all say they are great by the way :) )
id quod est

Wingnut

Re: Lithgow LA105 woomera

#2 Postby Wingnut » Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:29 pm

The action is great, it’s a similar design to the Barnard action with a 3 lug front and bolt diameter. I don’t have any issues recommending it as I find it is nice and solid. The KRG X-ray chassis it sits in is also nice and ergonomic for use. It shoots well and is a good buy for the money. The barrels etc are all regular steel, not stainless. Having said that, they are all cerakoted at the factory and the finish is good. I haven’t done any load development for my creedmoor and it is a sub MOA rifle with the load I’ve thrown together. It shoots consistent .75moa groups with the cheap hornady American gunner ammo you can buy.

In terms of looking to build a rifle for SH/open, I don’t understand why people want to spend big dollars on a custom rifle to shoot in a non competitive class that’s designed to help introduce people into our sport. The moment we start to bastardise the intent of the class we run the risk of making it unaffordable for new shooters to come out and have some fun competing against other new shooters with their off the shelf set ups.

Weairy

#3 Postby Weairy » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:31 pm

I know the PRS boys love these as an off the shelf package. But they're also only slapping dinner-plate sized gongs at 200m, so they're less picky with accuracy. Thoughts on one of these fitting the "spirit" of SH class?

I've also been looking at one of these as a SH rifle/possible PRS arrangement. But I don't want to be "that bloke" that turns up with a rifle in a tac stock to shoot SH (not that I'll shoot it myself, more as a club gun than anything).

As far as an F-Open gun, it really makes me think an F-Open B Grade would be a nice class to have...
Josh Weaire
Nagambie R.C.
I'm not Craig, if you want to contact him, email on c.weaire@bigpond.com

macguru

#4 Postby macguru » Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:54 pm

I am thinking that if wingnut can get sub moa with factory ammo, then someone may have got half moa with handloads ..... ? the "reviews" i have seen leave me wondering.

but i agree its got to be a winner for the PRS boys .
id quod est

Bigtravoz

#5 Postby Bigtravoz » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:08 pm

Know a couple of guys that have them. Excellent rifles, but you are expecting an off the shelf rifle to compete in a class where the shooters are using big dollar custom rifles with 1.25 cylinder barrels 30+ inches long, off rests that cost as much or more than your rifle. It would be a winner in hunter sporter class, and maybe competitive in f standard if you went 308, but it would be a long road to the top in f open.

macguru

#6 Postby macguru » Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:12 pm

I was only thinking of it for SH/open, actually. I never imagined it could be competitive in F-open, thats for the truck=axle barrels and i have a few. I am not sure 6.5 creedmore would be a good choice for FO either
id quod est

Bigtravoz

#7 Postby Bigtravoz » Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:08 pm

macguru wrote:I was only thinking of it for SH/open, actually. I never imagined it could be competitive in F-open, thats for the truck=axle barrels and i have a few. I am not sure 6.5 creedmore would be a good choice for FO either

Would have to check the weight. 6.5 kgs for sporter class with scope and bipod.

macguru

#8 Postby macguru » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:12 pm

Thats a good point about the weight ... i looked this up & its
5.1kg with empty magazine and muzzlebrake fitted
so just under 5kg without the brake
my vortex scope and rings is about .8kg
my harris 9" bipod is 0.35kg
So unless your scope and bipod are super heavy , the lithgow 105 makes the cut :)
id quod est

Bigtravoz

#9 Postby Bigtravoz » Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:19 pm

macguru wrote:Thats a good point about the weight ... i looked this up & its
5.1kg with empty magazine and muzzlebrake fitted
so just under 5kg without the brake
my vortex scope and rings is about .8kg
my harris 9" bipod is 0.35kg
So unless your scope and bipod are super heavy , the lithgow 105 makes the cut :)

Glad you can squeeze in. We have one bloke shooting a ruger precision rifle and with his Harris and night force, he is dead on weight, providing he takes the lens caps off. lol.

Valk

#10 Postby Valk » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:37 pm

After shooting with the boys from Lithgow Arms and playing their toys. LA105 will shoot great in SH class. Using supplied Hornady Precision Hunter 143ELD-X, I was able to hit 400M 4MOA steel plate with 3 shots grouping of 3 inches.
The barrel are hammer forge at Lithgow and was advised that during endurance test they put 15k rds through them and they still held MOA.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”