Moly - who still uses it??

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

superx10

Re: Moly - who still uses it??

#31 Postby superx10 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:21 pm

Some of the top QLD FTR shooters moly and it works for them. My two cents worth is that it helps in bullet seating. If Berger made moly projectiles I would certainly buy them but would not go to the trouble myself for fear of not getting consistent results from batch to batch.

6.5x55ai

#32 Postby 6.5x55ai » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:24 pm

Berger did market moly coated projectiles but discontinued them. Make what you like of that.

I still have some in 22 cal. The coating was superior to anything that I ever did in my tumbler.

ned kelly

#33 Postby ned kelly » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:47 pm

G'day all,
I do believe that it helps with consistent neck tension which I feel is a big part of the accuracy issue. I also trim all cases to the same length and do not clean the interior of the case as clean cases are believed to have more grip and I neck turn all cases to be the same thickness to 1/10,000 inch as measured with a Mitutoyo tubing mike.
As for Berger bullets' discontinuing moly coating, I suggest the business case to coat bullets was not worth THEIR effort and INVESTMENT for the returns on time and cost. Especially as those who want moly will do it cheaper than Berger could.
How much is real and how much is between the ears hard to tell, but if it seems to help, I'm happy for the placebo effect.
One less thing to worry about on the mound. :D :D :D
Cheerio Geoff

AlanF

#34 Postby AlanF » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:56 pm

6.5x55ai wrote:...The coating was superior to anything that I ever did in my tumbler.

I acquired an old home-made tumbler about 15 years ago and have used it ever since, but never for cleaning cases. However it has molyed about 27,000 projectiles. Everyone has their own peculiar ways of doing things in this game :D .

6.5x55ai

#35 Postby 6.5x55ai » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:23 am

ned kelly wrote:G'day all,
As for Berger bullets' discontinuing moly coating, I suggest the business case to coat bullets was not worth THEIR effort and INVESTMENT for the returns on time and cost. Especially as those who want moly will do it cheaper than Berger could. :D :D :D
Cheerio Geoff

Interestingly, Berger, on their website, provide DIY instructions for molycoating so maybe that is a tacit tick from them.

At the time they were available the cost difference for Berger coated versus non coated wasn't great and I doubt they would have been selling at a loss. I think discontinuation was more likely due to low uptake of the product.

Trying to remember, but I think Norma may have marketed coated as well. Could be wrong on that. IIRC Norma at the time did a report on their perception of the benefits.

6.5x55ai

#36 Postby 6.5x55ai » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:36 am

AlanF wrote:
6.5x55ai wrote:...The coating was superior to anything that I ever did in my tumbler.

I acquired an old home-made tumbler about 15 years ago and have used it ever since, but never for cleaning cases. However it has molyed about 27,000 projectiles. Everyone has their own peculiar ways of doing things in this game :D .

Ha ha, my first bullets coated (around 1990) were coated in a container spun in a reasonably large lathe.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”