Case cleaner

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Billy308

Case cleaner

#1 Postby Billy308 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:11 pm

Which chemical case cleaner is best? I've noticed with neck sizing cases only, there is a build up in flakey scale on the inside of cases. Didn't notice it as much when full length sizing only. Dont like tumblers.
Bill.

Ken L

#2 Postby Ken L » Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:45 am

http://www.tovatech.com/ultrasonic_cleaner_lp.html
cleans inside and out with a very low cost organic acid added to warm water

richmac

Case Cleaner

#3 Postby richmac » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:24 pm

Hi Bill
If U want to go to ultrasonic cleaning I may suggest that the solution that U must use is 1 teaspoon per litre of Cream of Tarter....works a treat as I am using it.I see that U are reluctant to use a tumbler....If U change your mind may I suggest that U go and buy a bottle of Nu Fishish ( which is a car cleaner available at K Mart)Put one cap full in your media and let it agitate for about a half an hour.
Then put your cases in it and they will come up so bright U will have to put sunglasses on.
If U want to keep it simple wack a bronze bristle brush down the necks that also helps.
Hope I have been helpful
Cheers Richard

Billy308

#4 Postby Billy308 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:19 am

Yes the ultrasonic cleaner looks good (a bit like my engel fridge did before it went in the shed). But I was looking more for a cheap chemical to soak the cases in. In 1992 when I first started reloading for fullbore I was using twin flashole cases and I was extracting them with a water press made up using an old barrel. So as they had to be dried thoroughly anyway I was then using some sort of cleaner I think it was a Birchwoodcasey one. That worked well from what I remember. Then later on I got a tumbler which shone them up well but I got sick of picking the crumbs out of the flash holes. And I was a little concerned about the dust inside the cases and getting that out. Then I went to using steel wool on the cases during the trimming operation, which was required often because I was fullsizing for four different rifles at the time. (My father and brother both shot regularily then and I also had two rifles in the same calibre.)
Lately I have started neck sizing again and have noticed the inside of the cases need cleaning. I'm using Krazy Kloth on the outside which is excellent.
Cheers Bill

Return to “Equipment & Technical”