weaver 36 power

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

timothi3197

#16 Postby timothi3197 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:50 pm

Thanks Alan, what rings do you reccomend? I tried some Lynx years ago and they never seemed to return to Zero.

In theory if I get quick release rings I could set up the one scope for both my .223 and .308 just making note of the adjustments required, is this true? I would just need identical bases?

Tim

AlanF

#17 Postby AlanF » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:24 pm

Tim,

I have tried Warne Maxima, NF Tactical, Weaver and Leupold QRW. For mine, the Leupolds work best. You can get them in 3 different heights.

Alan

KHGS

#18 Postby KHGS » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:08 pm

The best rings I have found are TPS, these are a very rigid tactical style rings available in hi tensile aluminium or steel. They are machined in matching pairs. If the cross bolt is tensioned correctly on a equally good quality tapered base, the zero will be repeatable so sighters are not wasted when the 'scope is removed & replaced. I have proven this as all of my rifles are set up to shoot iron sights or with a telescope as I choose. I am rather critical about my zero. I consider my sighters as the foundation of the rest of my shoot, I most certainly do not want to be refining my zero with my sighters, matches get lost this way. My advice is do not skimp on your telescope or the mounting system. Purchase the best scope & mounts you can afford & put them on your rifle correctly. It does not matter how good your rifle is, it will only be as good as the scope & mounts. I see shooters spending a zillion $$$$ on a rifle & then putting a cheap scope & mounts on it. :?: :!: Go figure. :roll:

timothi3197

#19 Postby timothi3197 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:00 am

Thanks for the replies,

I tend to agree with the sighters and won't keep less than a 6 and will even drop both if the second sighter is a five. What price range are the TPS mounts?

Are Davies tapered rails a suitable starting point?

They will be fitted to Omarks.

Agree on the get what you pay for principle and had a look through a Nightforce scope on Saturday and was very, very impressed. But I have had to be practical, my .308 with the targetmaster(lifetime warranty), a scope rail and mounts fitted owes me less than $650.00. I am only at the lower end of the sport and am happy to shoot regular 55's plus. The new .223(still haven't received it yet) is a concession to recoil and my son only otherwise I would happily bang away with the .308 till the barrel melts. I may have the money to indulge later when the kids grow up.

Not knocking the higher priced gear but it isn't within my reach yet,(I spread my self a bit thin over too many disciplines perhaps),

Kind regards,

Tim

alscol71

Re: weaver 36 power

#20 Postby alscol71 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:10 pm

Any idea what a 2nd hand 36x Leupold would be worth? older front focus one.

johnk

Re: weaver 36 power

#21 Postby johnk » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:00 pm

$600 US Stateside.

Been trying to get on for a while now.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”