NSW Queens

Results, photos of recent events, plan future events, let people know where you'll be competing.

Moderator: Mod

cheech

Re: NSW Queens

#16 Postby cheech » Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:11 pm

Thanks for the updates

Would love to have equipment list up for sporting/hunter class , be interesting to see

willow

#17 Postby willow » Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:29 pm

Day 3 of the NSW Queens is now done and dusted and what an event it was! The conditions were the most challenging I've shot in although I'm proud not to have ended up in the 4 ring like so many other shooters did and depending when you got down to shoot, it really challenged everyone regardless of experience/skill/equipment. We had bright sunny conditions today, with a westerly wind generally blowing over your right shoulder, but frequently switching to come over your left, and these frequent switches, pickups and drop offs had many a shooter scratching their head, or just simply cursing their way through the stages.

Pretty much every discipline was up in the air this morning, and so it proved, as Jim Bailey shot brilliantly to take out Target Rifle and it should be noted Jim actually cross fired onto the wrong target costing him 5 points, so to win with having done that, shows not only how determined he was, but how brutal some of the scores changed throughout the day.

F-Standard saw Daniel Galea blast his way from the mid-field into a well earned win, just managing to mow down Trevor Rhodes who had set the pace all weekend and while some people may be opposed to 'machine gunning' on electronic targets, Daniel's ability to shoot fast, stay on target and minimise the damage with dropped shots proved to be the best strategy over this Queens.

F-Open saw many changes across the leaderboard, with Matt Paroz holding his nerve to take his 17th Queens win with a comfortable margin of 5 points over Adrian Siebel and myself who both climbed several places and were separated by 3 X's. Commiserations to Matt Foster who tumbled from 1st to 4th but still had a very good outing with his 284 loving the Hornady A-tips for something different. Coincidentally it was the first time Hornsby RSL Rifle Club has ever had a clean sweep in F-Open.

FTR also saw several changes, with Gary Faulkner dropping his lead and finishing second with Geoff WIllis taking the win and Marty Kelly finishing in 3rd.

Sporting Hunter was also tight at the top end, with Wu Lau taking the win from Brian Kirkman and Leigh Conder, again making it a clean sweep for Hornsby RSL Rifle club.

A massive thanks to the NSW Rifle Association and MDRA for putting on a great event - despite the conditions, I don't think there was a shooter on the range who had anything to complain about as far as event management was concerned and the range was in great condition. And finally, congrats to all the winners, each and everyone was well deserved.

willow

#18 Postby willow » Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:33 pm

cheech wrote:Thanks for the updates

Would love to have equipment list up for sporting/hunter class , be interesting to see

Hmm, can't help you too much with that one sorry, but here are a couple of photos captured from SH competitors on the NSWRA Facebook page. I know there were a couple of Tikka's, at least one Howa, a Lithgow, an old school AI AE and I think Wu Lau may have used a Bergara to win, but don't quote me on that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pveng

#19 Postby pveng » Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:39 am

willow wrote:Day 3 of the NSW Queens is now done and dusted and what an event it was! The conditions were the most challenging I've shot in although I'm proud not to have ended up in the 4 ring like so many other shooters did and depending when you got down to shoot, it really challenged everyone regardless of experience/skill/equipment. We had bright sunny conditions today, with a westerly wind generally blowing over your right shoulder, but frequently switching to come over your left, and these frequent switches, pickups and drop offs had many a shooter scratching their head, or just simply cursing their way through the stages.

Pretty much every discipline was up in the air this morning, and so it proved, as Jim Bailey shot brilliantly to take out Target Rifle and it should be noted Jim actually cross fired onto the wrong target costing him 5 points, so to win with having done that, shows not only how determined he was, but how brutal some of the scores changed throughout the day.

F-Standard saw Daniel Galea blast his way from the mid-field into a well earned win, just managing to mow down Trevor Rhodes who had set the pace all weekend and while some people may be opposed to 'machine gunning' on electronic targets, Daniel's ability to shoot fast, stay on target and minimise the damage with dropped shots proved to be the best strategy over this Queens.

F-Open saw many changes across the leaderboard, with Matt Paroz holding his nerve to take his 17th Queens win with a comfortable margin of 5 points over Adrian Siebel and myself who both climbed several places and were separated by 3 X's. Commiserations to Matt Foster who tumbled from 1st to 4th but still had a very good outing with his 284 loving the Hornady A-tips for something different. Coincidentally it was the first time Hornsby RSL Rifle Club has ever had a clean sweep in F-Open.

FTR also saw several changes, with Gary Faulkner dropping his lead and finishing second with Geoff WIllis taking the win and Marty Kelly finishing in 3rd.

Sporting Hunter was also tight at the top end, with Wu Lau taking the win from Brian Kirkman and Leigh Conder, again making it a clean sweep for Hornsby RSL Rifle club.

A massive thanks to the NSW Rifle Association and MDRA for putting on a great event - despite the conditions, I don't think there was a shooter on the range who had anything to complain about as far as event management was concerned and the range was in great condition. And finally, congrats to all the winners, each and everyone was well deserved.

You killed it on the second half, congrats on coming 3rd!
Did you use the 284 shehane and what did you change from the shorter distances to the longer distances?

willow

#20 Postby willow » Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:02 pm

pveng wrote:
willow wrote:Day 3 of the NSW Queens is now done and dusted and what an event it was! The conditions were the most challenging I've shot in although I'm proud not to have ended up in the 4 ring like so many other shooters did and depending when you got down to shoot, it really challenged everyone regardless of experience/skill/equipment. We had bright sunny conditions today, with a westerly wind generally blowing over your right shoulder, but frequently switching to come over your left, and these frequent switches, pickups and drop offs had many a shooter scratching their head, or just simply cursing their way through the stages.

You killed it on the second half, congrats on coming 3rd!
Did you use the 284 shehane and what did you change from the shorter distances to the longer distances?

Cheers, appreciate that. I used my 284 Shehane all the way through given the energy limit changes. It runs at a mild 2810fps. The only thing I changed was my tactics heading into day 2/3. No changes to loads or anything like that.

Return to “Events”