2023 NSW Kings

Results, photos of recent events, plan future events, let people know where you'll be competing.

Moderator: Mod

aussie shooter

2023 NSW Kings

#1 Postby aussie shooter » Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:37 am

Congratulations to Peter Walters for winning the 2023 FSA NSW Kings. Such a well deserved win.
What a great week of weather, with humid and windy conditions. Luckily no daytime rain. Understand there were some issues with electronic sensors playing up with some big name casualties.
Congratulations to all the other winners and what a performance from Mitch Bailey in Target Rifle shooting clean with 500.80. Amazing! And Gary Faulkner is on the belt again for FTR!

AlanF

Re: 2023 NSW Kings

#2 Postby AlanF » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:21 am

aussie shooter wrote:...Understand there were some issues with electronic sensors playing up with some big name casualties...

I'm wondering if Trev Rhodes was affected by this when he dropped 15 points on the first range?

And great to see a newcomer to the victory dais (Christopher Petroff) in F-Open. Where's this fella been hiding?

Chopper

#3 Postby Chopper » Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:05 am

There Were others :roll:
Chopper

superx10

#4 Postby superx10 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:11 am

Christopher Petroff is relatively new to f class shooting, he was smart enough to make a big investment in equipment from the get go, his club is at Belmont QLD, in his early 30 's there is a great future for him in our sport, amazing effort dropping just one point in the kings series on a range he has never shot on before, he was shooting a straight .284 win

willow

#5 Postby willow » Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:23 pm

superx10 wrote:Christopher Petroff is relatively new to f class shooting, he was smart enough to make a big investment in equipment from the get go, his club is at Belmont QLD, in his early 30 's there is a great future for him in our sport, amazing effort dropping just one point in the kings series on a range he has never shot on before, he was shooting a straight .284 win

Chris shot unbelievably well - patient when he needed to be, and shot fast when he needed to. Never looked like missing and well and truly deserved the win.

aussie shooter

#6 Postby aussie shooter » Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:27 pm

AlanF wrote:
aussie shooter wrote:...Understand there were some issues with electronic sensors playing up with some big name casualties...

I'm wondering if Trev Rhodes was affected by this when he dropped 15 points on the first range?

And great to see a newcomer to the victory dais (Christopher Petroff) in F-Open. Where's this fella been hiding?

Trevor told me after the 10 shots that he then fired an extra shot (44430X6XXX) at the end and then protested. But I don't think anything happened. He was on the target next to me and we shot the same time. Amazing he bounced back for 5th. Such a fabulous person and shooter just a heap of bad luck.

I saw both Chris Petroff and Danny Kelly (2nd) afterwards and we took their photos at 800m for posterity and they were both walking on air. Danny was absolutely ecstatic with 2nd. He was on my target and shot so well

Redhawk

#7 Postby Redhawk » Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:32 pm

Great shooting by Chris and Danny! Very happy for them! Both running straight .284’s :)
(Never mind PRC’s :twisted: )
I have shot next to both of them at Belmont and they read the conditions exceptionally well. Always eager to learn, and assist others as well.

Peterla

#8 Postby Peterla » Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:19 am

There needs to be a better way of protesting when electronic targets have issues!!
We all spend money getting to the event and use our limited supplies we have on hand to shoot.
Then it comes down to luck if you get a bad target.
I feel sorry for Trevor as I have seen this happen before and the ROs just seem to ignore it.

Chopper

#9 Postby Chopper » Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:46 am

Yes the days of challenging the value
challenging the target
optional sighters
non convertibles
Have Gone Sadley
Best improve on what we got
I have come back after 10 years and shot on ETs
So far not a fan
Change is Hard after 45 years of Manuel targets
But the markers have gone
What I did miss A lot was sitting with my spotting scope between shoots scanning targets and watching wind changes
And sometimes Blowing out a spotter :lol:
Chopper

AlanF

#10 Postby AlanF » Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:47 am

Peterla wrote:There needs to be a better way of protesting when electronic targets have issues!!
We all spend money getting to the event and use our limited supplies we have on hand to shoot.
Then it comes down to luck if you get a bad target.
I feel sorry for Trevor as I have seen this happen before and the ROs just seem to ignore it.

ETs are not ideal, but they're here to stay. When reliability problems happen at major events, that is in my opinion the worst thing about them, particularly when ROs fail to consistently give shooters the benefit of the doubt with things like unexpected misses. I suggest that shooters should vote with their feet when an event is mishandled in this way i.e. stay away the following year and see if things improve. That may force change where its needed.

Peterla

#11 Postby Peterla » Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:07 am

I agree with you Alan. Voting with their feet will force a change.
We should start a register of what events have the issue so we all get prior knowledge of what ranges have issues before we go.
This also give that range a chance to chime in and say this is what we have done to fix the issue too.
Or at least those ranges can educate the ROs on giving the shooter the benefit of the doubt if it looks like a possible target issue.

phillh

#12 Postby phillh » Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:46 am

Some better ET systems out there have log files that can be checked and see if there were any problems at that time. You can also use these log files to check other targets to see if 2 shots were recorded close in time to the miss, to see if there was a cross fire. Also better ETs will display a message on the screen if there were sensor abnormalities which may cause a gross error on shot result.
Cheers Phill.

Peterla

#13 Postby Peterla » Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:12 pm

Hi Phill,
All good points and major events should have this as a minimum so we all get a equal chance to be up the pointy end of the field.
This high end type of ET should be a minimum at State teams levels whether it's TR or F Class as lots of time and money is invested by each team to compete at these events

Matt P

#14 Postby Matt P » Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:39 pm

There was also a competitor who was doing very well, and couldn't hit the target, long story short barrel was loose, it's not always the target or the scope or the .....

Peterla

#15 Postby Peterla » Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:02 am

Hi Matt. Yep I get that situation and missing the target multiple time and you off rule is fine with me.
The issue i have is when you get a miss in the middle of your string or even a 1 at the top of the target.
This happened in WA some time ago in state teams and I asked to see the target as no bullet holes apart from that one would be there but was refused
This is where the RO need to give the shooter the benefit of the doubt.

Return to “Events”