Front Rest, New Mechanism and Manufacturer in Oz

Suppliers - have a new product or service to announce? Shooters - have a question or suggestion for a Supplier?

Moderator: Mod

MaxHeadroom

Front Rest, New Mechanism and Manufacturer in Oz

#1 Postby MaxHeadroom » Sat May 16, 2020 5:56 pm

Just notifying the forum that 2 new Front Rests will be released this year by Oplo (Website link in Banner Advert at top of page).

Mechanism Patents have finally been lodged so I can discuss their operation freely.

Coaxial Joystick Mechanism comprises 4 x precision case hardened steel shafts (2 vertical, 2 horizontal) with 8 x PTFE lined ceramic linear bushes. Images also show the bearing test frame which was manufactured to test friction (static releasing to kinetic) and joystick input to output rates. The mechanism has Zero head play in any direction and near Zero static friction translation to kinetic friction (ie can't tell when it starts moving).

Coarse adjustment mechanism comprises 2 sets of recirculating ball nuts driven by rotating ball screw columns. Screws are driven by a timing belt, 3 pulleys, tension bearing and reduction gearbox underneath. There is no locking mechanism - doesn't need one. Screws use 4 x angular contact bearings.

The top end version has an adjustment for tuning the rate of head movement by moving the spherical bearings closer or farther apart without affecting rigidity or precision of movement (offers ultra-fine reticle movement at longer ranges).

Industrial content is about 95% Australian made (unfortunately the bearings are from USA and Taiwan).

Images show bearing test frame and CAD rendered images.

Happy to discuss any technical matters relating to these new mechanisms but not sales or supply matters.

Regards
M

*edited for clarity*

image6.jpeg

image8.jpeg

B0006.jpg

B0002.jpg

Rifle 002.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ratgun

Re: Front Rest, New Mechanism and Manufacturer in Oz

#2 Postby Ratgun » Sat May 16, 2020 6:41 pm

If you need a test pilot to get them out in the field give us a yell. They look awesome and mostly made in oz

MaxHeadroom

#3 Postby MaxHeadroom » Sat May 16, 2020 6:53 pm

Thanks for the offer Ratgun. I do have a paid, independent Test and Evaluation entity. Cheers!

Yes, the only thing imported are 12 bearings and 2 screws.

Old Trev-39

#4 Postby Old Trev-39 » Sat May 16, 2020 7:18 pm

That is a great and interesting looking piece of gear. How is the price looking, and delivery time?
Cheers,
Trevor.

MaxHeadroom

#5 Postby MaxHeadroom » Sat May 16, 2020 8:14 pm

OT-39, thank you! I can't discuss anything like that as yet. Technical stuff, no problem!

Wal86

#6 Postby Wal86 » Sun May 17, 2020 8:44 am

M,
Is this rest limited to 3" front bags? or
Can wider 8" front bags be used for HV Benchrest?
Cheers

MaxHeadroom

#7 Postby MaxHeadroom » Sun May 17, 2020 9:21 am

Wal, good question.
This is the F6 model which is ideally for F Class (3" stock) but as you can see from the column spacing we've allowed extra room for either greater travel or a wider bag (5" stock).

Edit: for 8" the easiest way would be to reduce screw column height as you won't need that much anyway, then use the bag support as a platform for an 8" plate option, longer skirts and spindles (bag side paddles). The bag height would be about 5mm higher.

Range of motion and rigidity would be the same and joystick friction would still be near zero.

Mozzie

#8 Postby Mozzie » Sun May 17, 2020 1:27 pm

Nice, very nice piece of gear.
Hoping my question falls within your guidelines of technical.
Please excuse my reference points to another manufacture, but in terms of weight and stability distance between the 3 feet how would it compare to a Seb Neo.
Have you encorporated any neat features to make travelling with,
ie air travel, easier in terms of packing flat or smaller ?
Looks great.
Cheers
Mozzie
My truck doesn’t run on love, it runs on diesel.
However, I love my rifle and it runs on lead. #-o

MaxHeadroom

#9 Postby MaxHeadroom » Sun May 17, 2020 4:48 pm

Hi Mozzie, thanks mate.
Span across rear feet is 350mm (14") ctr to ctr. Front foot ctr is 300mm (12") in front of them. Columns are on the fore-aft CG.
We can't flatten the current version but it's pretty compact as is and we are looking around for a 400x350x250 Pelican style casing for travel - that's pretty compact.
The base is cast (6000 series) due to the complex shapes involved. There are pockets underneath for mechanicals such as pulleys, belt, gearbox and bearings (all sealed). On top the primary mechanism lowers into a hollow so as to squat the coaxial mechanism between the columns (spreading the vertical bushing as much as possible). The reason for all this is to obtain 100% head rigidity with Zero joystick stiffness, increase lateral support to the shot, fingertip control of coarse and joystick mechanisms and ergonomics (no disturbance to shooting position - ie coarse adjustment). Everything is a trade-off in design.

Return to “Supplier News and Discussion”