F Class open

We want to hear what your club is doing to bring in new members. Tell us what works, and give credit to those who are making the effort.

Moderator: Mod

Tim78

F Class open

#1 Postby Tim78 » Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:33 am

Can or has anyone ever just jumped in the deep end and started doing F open before doing other disciplines first? Is this possible?

Barossa_222

Re: F Class open

#2 Postby Barossa_222 » Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:47 am

Of course you can. Get yourself a 6.5x47 or a 6BR and get into it. Both are easy to tune and load for, shoot very well and will teach you to read the wind. If you haven't got very much experience with regards to loading, tuning or shooting in general, I'm sure there will be some experienced guys at your club who can guide you. Best to ask questions and do some research before jumping head first into this sport. Spending can get out of hand in this sport and on the wrong things, so best to go with the buy once, cry once principle in my opinion.

Rich4

#3 Postby Rich4 » Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:19 am

Depends on expectations, providing you are willing to learn wind management and group placement prior to winning, choice of class doesn't matter.
Try as many options prior to purchase as possible, spend money on glass and ammunition not the rifle initially, barrels are consumables, judge reloading equipment by results not brand or price.
I wish I'd realised this personally many dollars ago.

AlanF

#4 Postby AlanF » Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:06 am

Tim,

From your past posts you've been seriously considering buying a used F-Open rifle. That's a good way to start. If you buy reasonable quality it should get you into the class at a reasonably competitive level if you do the right thing as far as reloading and marksmanship etc. Then down the track you'll have a much better idea of exactly what you want, and because this sort of equipment holds its value well, you should get a fair price selling the first rifle when you upgrade. I would strongly recommend Barnard as an action. Most who have one stick with them. One thing you need to think about carefully in the current climate is availability of reloading components. One day things may get back to normal, but in the meantime, best to go with a calibre with a large selection of suitable bullets and brass. For example 7mm is good for bullets, but some chamberings e.g. SAUM can be problematic for brass because of few manufacturers. Just about everything is hard to get at present, but as the supply problems ease you need to give yourself the best chance of early availability for your components of choice.

I hope you get what you need.

jasmay

#5 Postby jasmay » Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:04 pm

These thoughts are mine and mine alone, but after 10+ years in the sport I think they are valid.

Neither of the 3 disciplines are “easier” than the other, they are just different and thus the challenges are different, I would say however that Open and now Standard to a noticeable degree cost more to get started into and the main reason for this is cost of the front rest and suitable stocks to get the most out of rifles.

F-Open takes a lot of the human element out of the shooting and becomes are game of how well you can tune a rifle, rifles are heavy and gear needs a lot of attention, X’s win the game.

F-Standard is similar, these days I call it Open restricted when explaining it, the leaders of the pack shoot off rests just like open, with a few restrictions, the biggest is .308/223

FTR required a lot more effort put into technique, has a very light rifle (8.25kg total weight with bipod) but also has the choice of shooting any weight projectile/powder combo, for me FTR translates very well into most field types of shooting, where F-Open/Standard are more akin to benchrest these days…

Hopefully that sums up the 3 well for you!!

Most importantly, do what you enjoy!!

Tim78

#6 Postby Tim78 » Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:24 pm

Thanks so much for all of your answers so far, I have already bought a F open rifle but didn't realise the cost of the accessories ( my mistake I know) I appreciate the help and not getting ridiculed over it :D

Tim L

#7 Postby Tim L » Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:14 pm

To answer the original question, you sure can, I did just that.
Turned up at the NQRA Queens with my 6.5x284 in a TR stock resting on a Shadetree coax.
I found half the returning World Champion F Open team were there :shock:
Had a lousy first day but found the NQ Campfire and the best bunch of shooters I would ever hope to meet. Alan, Mark, Marty, Jason, Steve, Shane,,, they were all open and more than willing to help. They talked, answered my dumbarsed questions, quizzed me on what I'd done, and I listened. No one took the piss out of my 2nd rate gear, just offered advice on how to get the best from it.
Finished the second day 2nd in the daily agg and, to a man, they were more pleased for me than I was.
I flipped to FTR after the Queens,,,,, but started in F Open

Return to “Helping F-Class to Grow”