Sportco .223

If you shoot full-bore, then you're welcome to use this forum to discuss your sport.

Moderator: Mod

RobinCarter

Sportco .223

#1 Postby RobinCarter » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:33 pm

Hi Guys

I've just joined this forum, and I'm hoping you guys from the "Land of the Sportco" can help me!

I'm from England, and I shoot ISSF 300 mt, The wife and I both use Keppelers in 6 mmBR, but I'm working on a project to build a Sportco in .223, I know I have the german Hi tech job, but I'm a sucker for the labour of love, and turning my old trusty 7.62 Sportco with an adapter and SS Border barrel, into a 300mt .223. So the plan is to rebarrel and chamber in .223.

I've made the stock which is a multi adjustable wood stock, I have a Hart free trigger, the action is quite trick in that I've drilled the rear action screw just in front of the trigger, and the action is mounted on a machined alloy bedding rearward in the stock, and the rear of the action is milled to shorten the action. I've used it in this form for a year as a 7.62 and it shoots superbly, but now the plan is to convert it to .223. (getting old, and don't like recoil!)

The only problem? I have had a new bolt head on order from TSE for 8 months, and I'm getting concerned, I want to shoot it this year! Are any of you guys Sportco men? Would any one have a .223 bolt head complete sat in their spares? Or suggest a contact where I may get one? I've done a Wanted on the sales and Wanted thread, and I know TSE may eventually come up with it, but after all this time I'm getting concerned, so can any one help?

Have Fun
Robin from England
robin.carter80@ntlworld.com

Malcolm Hill

Re: Sportco .223

#2 Postby Malcolm Hill » Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:17 am

Hi Robin. Unfortunately Omark 223 boltheads are becoming a bit hard to come by over here. Occasionally one comes on the market but is usually snapped up very quickly and they are normally commanding $300-00 or more. Supply of parts from TSE is not good on Omark parts at times as they don't seem to produce the bits very often. There are a lot of 223 converted Omarks around the country and they can be made to shoot exceptionally well. It is possible to covert a 308 bolthead to 223 by inserting a ring inside the bolthead to reduce the face diameter and cutting the extractor groove a bit deeper to suit a 223 extractor. Problem is 223 extractors are no easier to find than the boltheads and the last one I got from TSE was $90-00 dollars. I have seen 308 extractors used in the 223 boltheads with some success. If the 308 bolthead is converted you will lose the use of the ejector (probably not good for your discipline) due to it being too far out from centre compared to the one on the proper 223 bolthead. Other issues with running 223's in Omarks is primer cratering and piercing with the standard diameter firing pin. This can be improved by running the thicker cupped primers (Rem 7 1/2 CCI Br4 CCI450 ) but is better cured by bushing the firing pin hole and reducing pin diameter. The late production boltheads from TSE had smaller pin holes. Good luck with finding a bolthead. You are on the right forum to dig one up. Regards Malcolm.

RobinCarter

#3 Postby RobinCarter » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:07 pm

Thanks Malcolm,
I had thought of modding the 308 one and cutting the head deeper for the extractor and realised I could not use the ejector which is not ideal, but no real problem, I have a Barnard P .223 with no ejector, but that's no problem, its more a fiddle reaching to load and placing the bullet into the chamber, because the discipline technique is like small bore, i.e. staying in position for long strings of shots.

We both (wife and I) have the hi tech German Keppelers in 6mmBR, and the Barnie .223 is great as well, I have that in a trick alloy stock and Bix'n'Andy trigger, but I just get a lot of satisfaction winding up the guys who buy the £7000 Grunigs, and Bleikers, and I want to prove the Sportco is as good! The Sportco action is the same one my wife took to the final of the Queens Prize at Bisley in 1979, I've built a special stock for 300 mt, updating a 50 year old Walther stock, very trick with folding cheek piece, and reshaped as a modern stock, the trigger is a 40 year old 2 oz Hart, and I have a new 1 in 8 Bartlein barrel waiting to be fitted, just need the bolt head!

.223 is a revelation to me, I only built the Barnie to use in TR because I had an eye issue caused by 7.62 recoil, but I tried it in 300mt not expecting it to be accurate enough, but once I developed it with the stock and trigger, and got the load right it is fantastic, and surprisingly it handles wind as well or better than the 6 mmbr's. My wife loves it, she is a top class 300 mt shooter, and loves the low recoil, and the wind bucking. I'm using Lapua cases, Sierra 80 gn Matchking bullets, BR4 primers, 25 gns of Vhit 540, and it shoots stunning, I will mirror the twist and 25" barrel length on the Sportco so expect it to shoot as well.

Thanks for your help and guidance Macolm, lets hope we attract someone who has a bolt head, or TSE get one made soon, and then I can try and get the old Sportco to shame some of the Swiss and German exotica!

Have Fun
Robin

Malcolm Hill

#4 Postby Malcolm Hill » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:58 pm

Hi Robin. If the ejector is not a problem then a modified 308 bolthead becomes an option. Lots of people over this way have plenty of those floating around. It wasn't long ago I saw a complete set of 308 boltheads advertised on one of our used gun sites. Like I said I have seen 308 extractors work ok in 223 boltheads or a 223 extractor can be made (I do them out of silversteel and harden them and they end up better and stronger than the genuine article) but is a bit of a time consuming and fiddly job. Hopefully someone will make it easy for you and come up with a complete 223 bolthead. You say that the rifle dates back a bit which means it could still have the small diameter bolthead retaining pin fitted. All ours over here had to have a compulsory upgrade to a larger pin to be used in competition. The original pin had a small side diameter of 1/8 inch in the bolt body while the upgraded pin was enlarged to 7/32 diameter. Might pay to check yours. These upgraded pins are still commonly available through the rifle association stores over here. Good luck. Regards Malcolm.

RobinCarter

#5 Postby RobinCarter » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:54 pm

Thanks Malcolm
Yes it still has the small pin, I was going to mod the bolt and fit the bigger pin when/if the new bolt head comes. The small one has lasted 50 years and two barrels, and its been proofed each time, but I will change the pin when I change the bolt head.
I can get a spare 308 head here, to mod it, does it need a ring? As there is no support from the out side of the head, and the ring will not be the full circle as it will be slotted for the extractor? I was more concerned that a not full circle ring would come loose?
Could I just mill the extractor grove deeper to grab the .223 rim, and use the existing 308 extractor, or do I need to make a longer claw extractor?
But yes, I am hoping some one there or even TSE comes up with one. TSE must be running out of excuses for me by now!
Have Fun
Robin

Malcolm Hill

#6 Postby Malcolm Hill » Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:55 am

Hi Robin. The boltheads I have done I have made a steel ring to suit and epoxied it in place. Final turning to size is done after the epoxy hardens. Check size, clearance and radius on lip with a few new cases. There must be enough clearance to allow the case to tip over in the bolthead so it can be removed from under the extractor once the job is finished. When that part is right I mill the extractor groove deeper down through the ring and original bolthead. You can try your 308 extractor to see how it goes, sometimes they are fine. I have done a few boltheads with epoxied in rings and have not had any come loose, one of my own has done over 5000 rounds with no issue. To do the larger hole for the new retaining pin I made a small sleeve the same diameter as the OD of the pin with a 7/32 hole through it. Remove firing pin, leave bolthead in place, insert sleeve into bolt body and through bolthead and drill through with 7/32 bit. Keeps everything lined up. Regards Malcolm.

RobinCarter

#7 Postby RobinCarter » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:11 am

Thanks Malcolm

That', great advice on "how too", I did think of epoxy but I'm not sure if our proof people would accept it, I'll take advice and see. I may think about brazing it. And the extractor sounds simple. I have a spare 308 bolt head I can play with to experiment.

I still live in hope that I can get a replacement bolt used or from TSE, so hoping that none of it is necessary!

Like the pin line up idea as well, I was going to do it using a mill vice to clamp on the bolt, line up the plane with the old pin and then take it out and drill through on the same setting with the 7/32.

Thanks
Have Fun
Robin

Malcolm Hill

#8 Postby Malcolm Hill » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:56 am

Hi Robin.Brazing or silver soldering would possibly be a more secure way of doing it but I don't like to mess with the heat treatment done on the original bolthead. I make the ring a touch oversize for a firm fit and leave a groove on the bottom outside corner for the epoxy to get a better hold. It doesn't take any load at any time, it just centres the case head. The most important thing is to make sure your brand of cases can just tip over in the bolthead after machining the inside. You have to play around with the radius on the inside lip to get it right before milling down through the ring for the extractor. I haven' t had any rings look like coming loose after doing it this way using a good quality epoxy. Regards Malcolm.

KHGS

#9 Postby KHGS » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:22 am

RobinCarter wrote:Thanks Malcolm

That', great advice on "how too", I did think of epoxy but I'm not sure if our proof people would accept it, I'll take advice and see. I may think about brazing it. And the extractor sounds simple. I have a spare 308 bolt head I can play with to experiment.

I still live in hope that I can get a replacement bolt used or from TSE, so hoping that none of it is necessary!

Like the pin line up idea as well, I was going to do it using a mill vice to clamp on the bolt, line up the plane with the old pin and then take it out and drill through on the same setting with the 7/32.

Thanks
Have Fun
Robin

I do not advise brazing, the temperature required is too high and will affect the heat treatment of the bolt head. I have done dozens of these conversions using silver SOLDER not silver BRAZE. Silver solder melts and runs at a lower temp then std lead tin solder, so no issue with altering the heat treatment and is three times stronger than lead/tin solder. I use the same method as Malcolm to alter the bolt body for the O/S bolt head retaining pin. If you are unable to source a factory O/S retaining pin, they can be made from 316 stainless steel or silver steel rod, these materials should be used as is and NOT heat treated. Tough steel not hard steel is what the requirement is for these pins.
Keith H.

tonic4u

#10 Postby tonic4u » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:11 pm

Hi Robin: interested in viewing tang modifications, and retro-fitted trigger unit to your wife's Omark/Sportco. If you could send a couple of detailed images to either +61408844780 or tdbeng1@gmail.com
For my part; I shall check my inventory of .223 Omark bolt heads, as I am sure I have several.
Regards...TimB

RobinCarter

#11 Postby RobinCarter » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:00 pm

Thanks all,
I had thought Silver solder as well so great advice.

Tim
I'll email picks of the action, and stock, both as a 7.62, and the pics of the stock set up for when/if I can get a .223 bolt head.
If you have one that's great news, also I had an email today and I have a head coming from TSE sans ejector, so between possibly Tim and TSE I can cover all bases!

Have Fun
Robin

Return to “Full-bore/Target Rifle”