Where was everyone !!!!!!!!!!

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

AlanF

#16 Postby AlanF » Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:01 am

John,

Yes its well known that there's been an unofficial "boycott" of the National Queens since the relocation. But if you read what John Lorimer says a couple of posts back, there were genuine reasons for moving it. All the same, IMHO the National Queens should move around, mainly because it is fairer for domestic shooters. Its all very well to cater for International visitors, but in the long run, it is the Australian shooters who will always be the backbone of the NRAA, and you ignore them at your peril. Look what happened when they tried to force Bathurst to change to an international touring car formula against the wishes of the majority of Australian fans.

As a way of deciding where they are held each year, perhaps a system of bidding could be used (similar to the Olympics etc.), where State Associations who want to host the Nationals are required to demonstrate to the NRAA they have the facilities and skills to run them. This will give added incentive for continuous improvement of the primary ranges in each state.

Alan :)

#17 Postby Guest » Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:59 pm

ed
Last edited by Guest on Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bruce moulds

#18 Postby bruce moulds » Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:39 pm

hi matt,
i believe you were part of the movement to get the fclass nationals back to canberra as was i.
since that movement died away, many of us hav been made aware of canberra clubs attitude to fclass, to wit that they invented it & the rest of the world should follow in their footsteps. (something in cenberra water perhaps)
having realized this, brisbane does have more to offer than canberra by a long way.
for those who are not so financial, maybe it is more realistic to wait for your own states turn (even though my state, sa, would rather spend government grant money on portable benches than fixing their unstable target machines)
at least those who attend brisbane will get brownie points from laurie. who knows, they might even get an invite to the next royal occasion.
regards,
bruce moulds

Mark Hamersley

#19 Postby Mark Hamersley » Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:54 pm

Matt makes a good point. Comp organisers respond to numbers and associations keep an eye on PM attendance numbers, including those of F-class.

In WA a number of comp organisers ask about likely F-class attendances beforehand. It shows a willingness to cater for us in terms of targets and prizes but we do need to reward this by getting attendances up. Not easy but we do need to keep working at it.

Travelling from WA, Darwin and Adelaide are a bit of a hop, but the other capitals are all about the same skip and a jump in terms of distance and effort to get there.

I'll make an effort to get to an interstate Queens next year. It would be great to meet and compete with other forum members. The Nationals seem to be the place for me if its going to be one trip.

Mark Hamersley

AlanF

#20 Postby AlanF » Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:04 pm

Mark,

I get the impression that F-Standard numbers are less than Open in WA. Is there some historical reason for that?

Alan

The Shark

#21 Postby The Shark » Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:27 pm

I can see your concern for the level of the 'open' turn out but what was the turnout for 'standard' as a matter of comparison?
I would have thought that the "open' group were a tight knit bunch and fairly competative:shock:
I have been shooting 'standard' for the last 2 years to get mind into the sport and am looking to switch to 'open' very soon, should I think twice???????????????

#22 Postby Guest » Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:29 pm

ed

#23 Postby Guest » Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:36 pm

ed

Mark Hamersley

#24 Postby Mark Hamersley » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:05 pm

Alan

I'm not sure if I have a definitive answer for you. Perhaps there is something in the water?? A PM here may attract 1 or 2 std shooters and 6 or so open shooters. Some of us have the gear to shoot either but choose open when it comes to PM's. It would be nice to be able to shoot both but this is too hard here - the f-std shooters join with TR and use their targets while f-open use the champ targets.

In the early days of f-class in WA, some of us just put scopes on our TR gear and got into it. A number of people with benchrest experience also gave it a go and they were already familiar with other calibres and had some good quality gear - this gave f-open a head start and encouraged others to give f-open calibres a go. This may be a partial answer?

More recently there has been some top f-std gear show up at Swanbourne and produce some really good scores. I see the numbers evening out in the future.

Mark Hamersley

AlanF

#25 Postby AlanF » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:30 pm

Hmm.. perhaps its the Fremantle Doctor - I've heard it that it can destroy a promising shoot if it decides to arrive part way through. With an open rifle you might only get partially destroyed :mrgreen: !

#26 Postby Guest » Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:24 pm

ed
Last edited by Guest on Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rod

#27 Postby Rod » Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:26 pm

Standard is pretty popular at club level mainly because of cost to convert as well as Fullbore blokes are all geared up for 308 handloads etc and easily available at cheaper cost to new shooters. Also it it should never be underestimated the appeal to compete with all competitors having similar rifles with the same projectiles and trigger weight. The numbers Military Rifle clubs both SSAA and NRA attract for the abovementioned reason are well worth keeping in mind.

#28 Postby Guest » Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:05 am

ed
Last edited by Guest on Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bruce moulds

#29 Postby bruce moulds » Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:53 am

did laurie officiate at the presentation?
if we knew this would happen prior to the event it would have been a magnetic drawcard, boosting attendance manyfold.
regards,
bruce moulds.

Ken L

#30 Postby Ken L » Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:28 am

It was interesting to read the words of wisdom printed on A4 in 60pt print on the walls of the NRAA office.

(1) Only fools complain and criticise, and often do.

(2) Even God can't change the past.

Oh boy Sigmund Freud would have a field day analysing the psyology around there.

When I went to pay the advertised $140 for the F Class National that cost $260 I saw reasons that the locals who have the Brisbane Queens in the near future might have in thinking that they get better value for their money by saving up for the Brisbane instead. :roll:

Ken L

Return to “General Forum”