NSW laws/regs re storage of primers?

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

John Weigel

NSW laws/regs re storage of primers?

#1 Postby John Weigel » Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:34 pm

Anyone familiar enough with NSW legislation and regulations to give a definite answer regarding whether or not reloading components of primers and powders must be stored in accordance within any minimum prescribed conditions? I am fully aware of the ‘general knowledge’ that powders must be locked up in NSW, and that there is a 12kg limit per household. But is this a certainty, and what is the minimum security standard of storage? EG are the affordable lockable upright storage units as sold by Bunnings and Officeworks OK if bolted to floor and/or wall? What about primers? Must they be locked up in NSW? While googling these questions I found the following comment on hunting forum, which might explain the vagaries around the question:

“ Primers, powders and ammunition are regulated by Worksafe, not the Police. Police require you to secure ammunition but they have no authority to inspect your ammunition storage, that's Worksafe's purview. Worksafe generally has no remit to inspect private residences unless they are investigating a complaint, except in Qld.”

Here is a fact sheet from NSW police regarding storage of loaded ammunition. It sounds as though storage containers of less physical impenetrability than required for firearms is allowed. https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/as ... _Sheet.pdf

One final question for anyone in the know (re NSW rules): Given a secure room (eg concrete on all six surfaces, and a real doozie of a locked access door), can a room be designated as secure enough for less arduous storage routines within, for powders, primers, ammo, hardware? My reloading room (with legal rifle storage safes) is a veritable Fort Knox; it sure would make life easier if end of day tasks didn't preclude ongoing works on rifles or ammo prep.
Last edited by John Weigel on Sun Jan 01, 2023 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Razer

Re: NSW laws/regs re storage of primers?

#2 Postby Razer » Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:42 pm

I know of a person who has his whole room used for reloading, storing ammunition and components, his rifles and his machinery used to repair or make replacement firearms parts. His firearms aren’t even in a dedicated safe. I assume that the building is designated as a *safe*?
It is, from the outside, just a brick walled and gyprock lined room with a steel door and frame, windows are barred and he has an alarm system. It does adjoin his house.
When you think about it, gun shops are just buildings with barred windows, solid doors and a security device and everything is stored there, powder, primers, cases, etc. so why should it be any different for a private individual who doesn’t have a great deal of signage advertising what they are?

John Weigel

Re: NSW laws/regs re storage of primers?

#3 Postby John Weigel » Sun Jan 01, 2023 3:27 pm

Thanks Razer, would be interesting to know if he is licensed to operate that way - and what that authorisation looks like.

Re traditional storage of ammunition components, Here's the relevant regs: https://legislation.nsw.gov.au/view/htm ... 476#sec.48
And: https://legislation.nsw.gov.au/view/htm ... 476#sec.84

And this probably answers my enquiry - sorry I didn't understand it earlier. It turns out that primers are a class 1.4c explosive with storage rules and regs under a different piece of NSW legislation - the "Explosives Regulation 2013" act in NSW which requires secure storage of all explosives, including, I think, powders. So the only component that doesn't require secure storage in NSW is brass and projectiles. I'll access the explosives Act and try to determine legal storage requirements.

Return to “General Forum”