In need of wind reading teacher in Sydney region

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

John Weigel

In need of wind reading teacher in Sydney region

#1 Postby John Weigel » Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:23 am

I’m still new enough to F-class shooting to be willing to admit that I am not progressing sufficiently in my wind reading skills - particularly with regards to mirage interpretation, to catch up with the big boys of our discipline any time soon. I generally shoot at Kariong along with some terrific shooters. Those who have shot at our beautiful range will recall the unusual topography of the range, which has virtually no foreground - only a deep and wide tree-filled gully where the foreground of most ranges would provide for mirage watching. I occasionally shoot at Hornsby and Malabar, and am aware of the value of mirage watching in the decision making process for compensation (holding and/or scope adjustment). Same at most if not all of the many ranges I’ve shot at over these past 18 months or so. Clearly, most of the top shooters in all midrange and long-range disciplines are using scopes to assist in wind compensation decisions.

Hence, I’m looking for someone who can spend an hour or three over one or more days in attempting to teach me the basics at either the Hornsby or Malabar range, where 'normal' topography exists. Not necessarily shooting - so long as wind, flags, and mirage are present - eg: standing, sitting, or whatever, with scopes side by side, talking through what is happening on the ground, at the flags, and what the appropriate adjustments might be. Happy to pay for lessons (or trade Berger 155.5 Fullbores and/or 155 Hybrids...), and it may be that there are other potential students who would also find such lessons helpful.

Please contact me at birdingyear@gmail.com if you are prepared to help, or perhaps if you’d like to join me on the learning side of the proposal.

John W

macguru

Re: In need of wind reading teacher in Sydney region

#3 Postby macguru » Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:02 am

One comment is that wind reading at malabar, gosford and hornsby all present different challenges. You can nail it at one, then come unstuck at another... just saying :) I am fortunate in that I am pretty equally crap at all 3 ....
id quod est

Trevor Rhodes

Re: In need of wind reading teacher in Sydney region

#4 Postby Trevor Rhodes » Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:32 pm

The Queens last September in Sydney was a dream for me going in the last range 800 MTS, l was 8 points up in f standard then shooting last on the mound dropped 9 to lose the shoot by 1 point as the conditions were un readable.

Return to “General Forum”