NRAA Small Country Clubs

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

Punti

NRAA Small Country Clubs

#1 Postby Punti » Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:22 am

NRAA Small Country Club

Small Country Clubs are the foundation of each NRAA State association, they have volunteers to collect all the state fees from members to pay their state associations each year to have the right to shoot at Queens and National events. This is a big ask for members today who have no interest in what they are offering as it has been in the past.

NRAA Small Country Clubs need help, we need the option for State associations to allow small clubs be members of the NRAA direct. We need States associations to free up NRAA to do so.

With a national membership option this will allow clubs to give membership to locals who just want to have a shoot on the weekend and have a bit of fun.

Will this option help your club increase growth?

Punti

BillB

Re: NRAA Small Country Clubs

#2 Postby BillB » Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:00 pm

I see what you at im the only member in our club and paying state and nraa fees is a cost im thinking of givingup and only staying with the ssaa

jasmay

#3 Postby jasmay » Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:50 am

Mick,

I totally agree, there needs to be a mechanism for casual membership to the clubs within our sport.

Not everyone wants to compete, especially new comers, $200 a year scares a lot of people away when many other places are under $90..

At the extreme, shooters union , who are a body that are doing some amazingly supportive things in regards to legislation across the country, is now a genuine reason, has membership as cheap as $35 a year, $155 gets you 5 years membership.

Last I checked, NRAA member numbers are not growing and are less than 7000 Nation wide.

We now have other alternatives that have higher membership rates in single states than we do in the entire nation….

Something needs to be done at a national level with support of the S&T’s to begin growing our numbers.

AlanF

#4 Postby AlanF » Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:01 am

Most of us would agree that the our system of governance is not ideal, where some STAs want to do things differently, and the NRAA can't do much about it. The best place to put pressure on about fees is at STA level - don't forget they are elected directly by you the shooters, where as the NRAA board are elected by the STAs. And if all else fails, if a club feels strongly enough about fees being unfair for some members, there is nothing to stop them from addressing it locally with subsidies etc. Rather than wait for slowly turning wheels, its sometime better just to fix things yourself.

BillB

#5 Postby BillB » Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:46 pm

Somthing give back
The Victorian rifle association veterans club decided to give their financial members who shot at Robinvale prize meeting a helping hand by paying for 1 day of the meeting
17 veteran shooters received $30 back of their entry fee
Well done to the veterans committee

ChrisA

#6 Postby ChrisA » Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:06 am

I am a member of a regional rifle club and I understand the argument for having casual membership for those who only want to have a weekend shoot at their local club. However my question is relating to insurance cover. My understanding is that we pay our annual fee to our State Body. They in turn send approx $75 of this up the line to the NRAA (National Body). The NRAA carries provides umbrella insurance which covers every member on every range. Therefore, how does this leave clubs, or members, who are only paying a 'local' fee. On the face of it these members would be uninsured on the range? Any thoughts on the question of liability and insurance?

Wingnut

#7 Postby Wingnut » Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:34 pm

Unfortunately Chris people tend to believe the grass is greener on the other side. SSAA membership is an individual thing, costing about $93 per year. Add in the insurance aspect, and you’re looking at an additional $35 for a total of $128. Then, you need to join a local club to shoot at if that what you want to do. Depending on location, these fees can range from $30 for a small country club to over $280 for a larger metro club (SSAA PARA in SA as an example).

Do the sums and you’re up for $408 (plus competition fees if you want to shoot competitively) per year. The $195 for membership of SARA AND THE NRAA PLUS INSURANCE starts to look pretty cheap if you ask me.

It’s a pity people don’t do their homework before they get behind their keyboards and start stirring up shit.

Barossa_222

#8 Postby Barossa_222 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:22 pm

Wingnut wrote:Unfortunately Chris people tend to believe the grass is greener on the other side. SSAA membership is an individual thing, costing about $93 per year. Add in the insurance aspect, and you’re looking at an additional $35 for a total of $128. Then, you need to join a local club to shoot at if that what you want to do. Depending on location, these fees can range from $30 for a small country club to over $280 for a larger metro club (SSAA PARA in SA as an example).

Do the sums and you’re up for $408 (plus competition fees if you want to shoot competitively) per year. The $195 for membership of SARA AND THE NRAA PLUS INSURANCE starts to look pretty cheap if you ask me.

It’s a pity people don’t do their homework before they get behind their keyboards and start stirring up shit.

You don't need to join an SSAA club if you want to utilise their ranges. Your membership gives you access and you have to pay a range fee if you aren't a member. Their insurance also covers shooters who hunt out in the field. I trust you've done your homework also?
Surely the board members from around the country from all of the associations would be interested to hear from their members on his or her concerns no matter what forum it is on keyboard or not?

Wingnut

#9 Postby Wingnut » Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:26 pm

I am aware that people can attend their local SSAA ranges to shoot causally. Having said this, your still looking at a daily fee of $50 (SSAA Para) to do so. Then there’s the issues of public liability insurance that needs to be covered. You also have legislative requirements in relation to the various ranges requiring range safety officers to be present and supervising at all times whilst people are on the ranges. Failure to do so places the club at risk of serious fines and being shut down.

Lastly, have they contacted their state board with their concerns? Im sure state boards, being elected by their members would want to hear from their people to help where possible. People who have issues with what they perceive as inaction by their boards can also nominate to be a part of the board and do something about their grievances. It’s one thing stirring up shit and another stepping up and accepting accountability for the problems.

RAVEN

#10 Postby RAVEN » Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:03 pm

Is that you Goldy?

jasmay

#11 Postby jasmay » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:01 pm

Wingnut wrote:I am aware that people can attend their local SSAA ranges to shoot causally. Having said this, your still looking at a daily fee of $50 (SSAA Para) to do so. Then there’s the issues of public liability insurance that needs to be covered. You also have legislative requirements in relation to the various ranges requiring range safety officers to be present and supervising at all times whilst people are on the ranges. Failure to do so places the club at risk of serious fines and being shut down.

Lastly, have they contacted their state board with their concerns? Im sure state boards, being elected by their members would want to hear from their people to help where possible. People who have issues with what they perceive as inaction by their boards can also nominate to be a part of the board and do something about their grievances. It’s one thing stirring up shit and another stepping up and accepting accountability for the problems.

In Brisbane and other local SSAA, to shoot weekly comps on the SSAA range, it doesn’t require you to be a member locally, and the comps range between $10-20.

Casual range fee are:

$18 for SSAA members

$23 for non members

$13 for local members…. This is if you are national and branch member.

So, let’s look at branch members.

A $5 reduction in range fee, if you shoot once a week, you will name your money back and be $60 better off at the end of 1 shooting year.

Twice a week, around $320 a years better off.

And, when I was training, I was shooting 3+ times a week. Been some $700 better off been a local member.

I’m not sure what your local para branch is up to Wingnut, but there is a big disparity from there to Brisbane.

Barossa_222

#12 Postby Barossa_222 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:35 pm

Wingnut wrote:I am aware that people can attend their local SSAA ranges to shoot causally. Having said this, your still looking at a daily fee of $50 (SSAA Para) to do so. Then there’s the issues of public liability insurance that needs to be covered. You also have legislative requirements in relation to the various ranges requiring range safety officers to be present and supervising at all times whilst people are on the ranges. Failure to do so places the club at risk of serious fines and being shut down.

The SSAA ranges still have a range officer present when they are open and have the public liability insurance coverage also, as do the NRAA ranges when in use, so I'm not quite sure what point you are trying to make.

So are you saying that posing a question in a public forum to get the opinions of the people affected is less than ideal? You would prefer all concerns to be directed to the relevant boards and not talked about openly and publicly with it's financial members?

Malcolm Hill

#13 Postby Malcolm Hill » Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:49 pm

Wingnut. Mick has only asked a question that is often asked by casual shooters that turn up to NRAA ranges at smaller locations around the country. A lot of people would just like to shoot a few times a year with their hunting rifle to see how it goes but under the current set up they are limited to 3 visits and then have to join up with all the fees involved. A very large percentage are never seen again. They are not all interested in shooting competitions all over the country or shooting every week so Mick is just throwing it out there to see if other clubs are having similar issues and if there could be an alternative fee structure to cater for this type of shooter given that there are not SSAA ranges as common around some of the area's for them to use. I don't see it as an issue of of hiding behind a keyboard and slinging shit. At least Mick signs his name to his posts so everyone knows who it is instead of hiding behind a user name so no one knows who the pro SARA person from the Adelaide region is. Regards Malcolm.

Wingnut

#14 Postby Wingnut » Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:40 am

Yes raven it’s me. Yes, I’ve also stirred the pot, I probably should have followed my own advice and kept my hands off my keyboard. It’s incredibly frustrating finding out about issues through back channels and Chinese whispers. I’m passionate about trying to grow our sport. I want to know what members are thinking and what there needs are, but absolutely no one is telling us anything. Instead I get a whisper to check out this site. We can’t even get people to nominate for positions on the board. I have zero idea on how to change things. Those issues that we do become aware of, we have acted on. Again, I’m happy to hand over the baton to anyone else who wants to stand up and have a go. I’m obviously out of touch with what our shooters want. So please, I’m begging all of you in here who are SARA members, nominate for the board. Bring your ideas with you and implement changes that you want to see.

IamPlayer

#15 Postby IamPlayer » Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:18 pm

Return to “General Forum”