Rimfire F class in Australia

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

!Peter!

Re: Rimfire F class in Australia

#31 Postby !Peter! » Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:36 am

This opens a whole new can of worms for rimfire!! https://cuttingedgebullets.com/shop/cut ... llets/22lr

RDavies

#32 Postby RDavies » Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:26 pm

!Peter! wrote:This opens a whole new can of worms for rimfire!! https://cuttingedgebullets.com/shop/cut ... llets/22lr

While I like the idea of these for experimenting, I hope they don’t start becoming a thing in competition, putting up costs and going against the spirit of rimfire

Rich4

#33 Postby Rich4 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:02 pm

I think I’d rather centrefire thanks, the whole attraction of rimfire is no reloading

bobeager

#34 Postby bobeager » Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:56 pm

Have a read of the threads on Snipers Hide in the Rimfire sub forum. The results on target arn't too flash

jacksaligari

#35 Postby jacksaligari » Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:55 pm

Hi rod what sort off an old anschutz have you bought ?
A bloke we both know was up my place the other day with a very expensive custom.22 with a tuner and he was having a lot off trouble getting it too shoot anywhere near what he expected it too and trying a lot off different and expensive ammo in it as well .They are a very different kettle off fish too get too shoot at a long distance the very little I’ve had too do with them

RDavies

#36 Postby RDavies » Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:28 pm

jacksaligari wrote:Hi rod what sort off an old anschutz have you bought ?
A bloke we both know was up my place the other day with a very expensive custom.22 with a tuner and he was having a lot off trouble getting it too shoot anywhere near what he expected it too and trying a lot off different and expensive ammo in it as well .They are a very different kettle off fish too get too shoot at a long distance the very little I’ve had too do with them

I bought an Anschutz 1907, which had a tuner already fitted.
It groups ok at 50m but so far is not really any better than my old Brno model 2 at 100 and 200, but then I have only tried SK Match long range in it so far.
When I get some good conditions, I have 2 boxes each of other brands of premium ammo to try tuner adjustments again

cheech

#37 Postby cheech » Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:20 pm

RDavies wrote:

It groups ok at 50m but so far is not really any better than my old Brno model 2 at 100 and 200, but then I have only tried SK Match long range in it so far.
When I get some good conditions, I have 2 boxes each of other brands of premium ammo to try tuner adjustments again

RWS have a new long range .22 lr cartridge designed for 200m and beyond can’t remember what it’s called or price

RDavies

#38 Postby RDavies » Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:35 pm

cheech wrote:
RDavies wrote:

RWS have a new long range .22 lr cartridge designed for 200m and beyond can’t remember what it’s called or price

So it is not the long range match as in their website?

cheech

#39 Postby cheech » Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:21 pm

OSA catalog

RWS. R plus long range 43gn bullet @ 400m/sec

RDavies

#40 Postby RDavies » Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:30 pm

cheech wrote:OSA catalog

RWS. R plus long range 43gn bullet @ 400m/sec

Great, just after I bought a pile of SK ammo. Oh well, I will certainly try some of the new RWS ammo with its big heavy 43gn pills.

jsa54

#41 Postby jsa54 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:55 pm

Hi Rod,
to go back to your original post, and I also have been reading with much interest what they are doing in the US, some of the folks in the full-bore clubs at Hornsby Range have been experimenting with rimfire F Class, but mainly on the 100M range. I have been encouraging people to consider using the main range here for 200M and 300M also because it is generally sitting idle due to other range constraints. If we had the appropriate facilities, it also becomes a night time option.
Cheers

RDavies

#42 Postby RDavies » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:56 am

Alpie wrote:Hi Rod,
to go back to your original post, and I also have been reading with much interest what they are doing in the US, some of the folks in the full-bore clubs at Hornsby Range have been experimenting with rimfire F Class, but mainly on the 100M range. I have been encouraging people to consider using the main range here for 200M and 300M also because it is generally sitting idle due to other range constraints. If we had the appropriate facilities, it also becomes a night time option.
Cheers

A night option would be good during summer as the noise from rimfires wont be an issue.

ShaneG

#43 Postby ShaneG » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:57 pm

F Class rimfire i shot in US was 50 and 100 yards which brings in a lot more rimfire only range possibilities.
The targets were very, very small!

RDavies

#44 Postby RDavies » Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:23 am

ShaneG wrote:F Class rimfire i shot in US was 50 and 100 yards which brings in a lot more rimfire only range possibilities.
The targets were very, very small!

I reckon 50Y is too short for F class, but which targets did they use at 100Y?

MarkS

#45 Postby MarkS » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:01 am

We've been using 22Lr at 200m, 275M and 385M for last couple of years.
Lots of fun, quiet and inexpensive compared to centrefire.
Excellent wind reading practice at say 100 - 200m, wind DOPE is similar to a .308

Major consideration is elevation ability on scope/mount/rail system.
There's a LOT to "dial up" once you start taking those slow little pills out long.
SK Long Range Match 22LR has already dropped 1.1 - 1.6metres (depending on your zero) at 200 as an example.
Many scope/mount combinations simply won't allow elevation correction needed.
Have fun
Going broke one primer at a time

Return to “General Forum”