Range approvals and ball & FMJ ammo.

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

bainp

Range approvals and ball & FMJ ammo.

#1 Postby bainp » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:26 pm

My local club has just a few weeks ago had a range inspection for our new range alignment. The certificate states that no ball or full metal jacket ammunition permitted.
Is this something that all NSW ranges are subject to? If so when was this change implemented? It seems strange to me because nearly all full bore shooting used to use the military 7.62 round which was ball and FMJ. I have a few old 7.62 F4 rounds in my ammo safe, so will not be allowed to fire them off on my range.
As above, is that certification common across all NSW ranges and when did this change come into force? Just interested, not going to make any song and dance!
Philip

Wingnut

Re: Range approvals and ball & FMJ ammo.

#2 Postby Wingnut » Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:06 pm

Likely to be due to the risk of a ricochet. Especially in older ranges where the mounds are full of lead and other bullet debris.

johnk

Re: Range approvals and ball & FMJ ammo.

#3 Postby johnk » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:33 am

The ricochet characteristics of FMJ ammo is well documented by the military& reinforced with radar tracing in modern times.

Were a range's charactistics of such a nature that it was believed or now evident that a Classification range could not be approved for military style ammunition, then the authority may well be making a concession on the basis that sporting projectiles have significantly more modest ricochet and pop back characteristics. If so, cherish them.

Return to “General Forum”