PRICE GOUGHING

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

Hoover

PRICE GOUGHING

#1 Postby Hoover » Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:33 am

Scanning various online sites lately Ive noticed that some sellers are wanting rediculious prices for their products.
In particular pistol powder & primers.
We are all well aware of the shortages but asking between 3 - 8 times the original purchase price is well.... UNAUSTRALIAN!!
Worse than the oil companies jacking the price of diesel.
I would have thought Shooters would be better than this.
Correct me if Im wrong but this sort of thing is bordering on a Dog Act.

Josh Cox

Re: PRICE GOUGHING

#2 Postby Josh Cox » Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:04 am

Whenever there is an under supply of a product and an over demand, prices go up.

Businesses still have fixed costs to meet (staff wages, rent, power etc), if the volume of product they can sell reduces, the cost per unit goes up.

It sucks, but that is how business works.

Either pay the prices or take up another hobby/sport for the next six to twelve months.

MarkS

#3 Postby MarkS » Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:22 am

The massive demand and resulting shortage of reloading components has been widely reported for at least two years.

As Josh says, shooting is a relatively expensive sport.
If you can't afford it go do something else.

"I would have thought Shooters would be better than this.." They're not "shooters", they are businesses selling supplies.
And what is "the original purchase price"???

If the biggest gun retailers and importers in Aus literally have no Small Pistol Primers, then yeah, anyone that does have stock is going to charge a lot for them.
Retailers want stock. Without it they can't get sales and can't make a living.

As with most things in life,
There's those that plan ahead and
There's those that whinge
Going broke one primer at a time

Hoover

#4 Postby Hoover » Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:32 am

Think I should elebrate further.
The ads posted were from private citizens. Not commerical businesses.

PeteFox

#5 Postby PeteFox » Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:38 am

Yes gouging
03C5B08F-D294-49DA-BCE5-A581286D01A3.jpeg

$650 and $666 per kg respectively.
The warnings about shortages have been around for a long time. Those that didn't take note before are paying the price now.

However there is nothing more ridiculously expensive than shooting a .50BMG, @ $1 for a primer

7CB1879D-91DF-4003-8FDB-A7D35349B3A7.jpeg

Pete
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by PeteFox on Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.

michaeljp65

#6 Postby michaeljp65 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:40 am

mate its happening everywhere. The other day i saw some bonnet hinges for a Torana selling brand new for $900. I think thats crazy money, but someone will buy them if they need them. If people are stupid enough to buy these over priced items then good luck to the seller. We dont have to buy them if we dont want to.

Rich4

#7 Postby Rich4 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:16 pm

As ridiculous as they are you have to remember prices also reflect replacement cost, I have supplies I could sell for a huge "profit" not so much if I have to replace them at this time.
Business's are the same. Don't buy if it's extreme, if you need it the price is relative, just remember next time.

AlanF

#8 Postby AlanF » Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:53 pm

Target shooters of all disciplines need to buy large quantities of reloading components if they want to shoot most weekends throughout the year. When deciding whether you can afford the sport, nowadays you need to factor in the cost of maintaining a stock of critical components. I've always tried to have a year's supply in reserve, but with the current supply problems that is probably not enough for serious regular competitors.

KHGS

#9 Postby KHGS » Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:38 pm

AlanF wrote:Target shooters of all disciplines need to buy large quantities of reloading components if they want to shoot most weekends throughout the year. When deciding whether you can afford the sport, nowadays you need to factor in the cost of maintaining a stock of critical components. I've always tried to have a year's supply in reserve, but with the current supply problems that is probably not enough for serious regular competitors.

Alan is correct, in these changing times. I carry about three years supply on hand as I like to shoot every week if I can.
Keith H.

dazza284

#10 Postby dazza284 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:50 pm

AlanF wrote:Target shooters of all disciplines need to buy large quantities of reloading components if they want to shoot most weekends throughout the year. When deciding whether you can afford the sport, nowadays you need to factor in the cost of maintaining a stock of critical components. I've always tried to have a year's supply in reserve, but with the current supply problems that is probably not enough for serious regular competitors.

I agree whenever I buy a barrel or a new rifle I buy enough components to shoot it out .

pavlovaw

#11 Postby pavlovaw » Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:58 am

I don't think so much about people's wallets as I do about clubs trying to stay open with the cost of just living itself having gone up so much. House prices, fuel and the cost of energy will restrict most people from wanting to join a club unless they have a fairly large bank account. The country clubs will end up fizzling out if these shortages keep going. With the way the police and licensing are towards shooters will be a case of good luck getting them going again or even trying to find members who will be able to open them back up. Regulating a sport that society and the MSM are showing no favour towards.

jasmay

#12 Postby jasmay » Wed May 18, 2022 6:45 am

Freight prices are between 3-4 times what they were 18-24 months ago (major part of most imported goods).

Raw material costs are through the roof, especially complex chemicals and polymers

Many product are and will remain in short supply due to Covid shutdowns, recovery takes time

Inflation is real, thank the federal reserves and modern money theory

It’s tough as a retailer, especially when most all product is imported thanks to the loss of our manufacturing capabilities in Australia, if you went to understand why that has happened read the LIMA declaration that we became a party to several decades ago.

Election this week, vote WISELY!!!

Josh Cox

#13 Postby Josh Cox » Sun May 22, 2022 2:42 pm

Quote: Election this week, vote WISELY!!!

It would appear no one was listening.

Tim L

#14 Postby Tim L » Mon May 23, 2022 8:15 am

Josh Cox wrote:Quote: Election this week, vote WISELY!!!

It would appear no one was listening.

Along with a plethora of suggestions that it wouldn't make any difference if they had.

Return to “General Forum”