2019 National Teams Match WA Queens

Results, photos of recent events, plan future events, let people know where you'll be competing.

Moderator: Mod

BRETT B

Re: 2019 National Teams Match WA Queens

#16 Postby BRETT B » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:45 am

Stupid Vertical is an understatement!!! The Range is very flat but the trees on the left cause you Vert issues and you only need a tiny bit of sun and the sight picture is horrible because the targets are so low to the ground. The single firing point is 4.5 degrees slope so can be a bit harsh on your back for a few folk. I dont see many BIG scores being shot there and it has a reputation of being Brutal at times so my advise Graham is bring lots of Tissues and a Nappy!!
BRETT BUNYAN F CLASS OPEN SHOOTER W.A.

GSells

#17 Postby GSells » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:05 pm

BRETT B wrote:Stupid Vertical is an understatement!!! The Range is very flat but the trees on the left cause you Vert issues and you only need a tiny bit of sun and the sight picture is horrible because the targets are so low to the ground. The single firing point is 4.5 degrees slope so can be a bit harsh on your back for a few folk. I dont see many BIG scores being shot there and it has a reputation of being Brutal at times so my advise Graham is bring lots of Tissues and a Nappy!!

[-o< [-o< Thanks Bret . I was hoping for a holiday from Belmont vertical! :lol:

Yep already well practiced in the “ Fetal Position “ :shock:

willow

#18 Postby willow » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:24 pm

GSells wrote:
willow wrote:Hey Graham, Pinjar is tough. If there was one thing I hated about living in WA, it was the wind. You rarely get calm days, it's generally always blowing and can switch around quite a bit. You tend to get a breeze coming in off the Nullabor in the morning before it gives way to the Fremantle Dr later in the day. The range itself is flat with tress lining up on either side. The range backs onto a military zone and has one single firing point - it's concrete for a couple of hundred metres with gravel in front for front rests to be dug into (nowhere near as cushy as Belmont). Facing downrange you have three firing mounds - on the far right 300/400 metres...in the middle is 500 out to 700 metres and on the far left 800/900 (capability to go to 1000 down the track I believe). Facilities are good with a huge carpark catering for a couple of hundred cars +, club house facilities include full commercial grade kitchen plus bar, there's room to clean your rifles and WARA store is based there as well. I've attached a couple of photos of the range - and if the wind is blowing right to left like the photo and you're on the middle mound...good luck.

Wow Thanks for that , that is one solid report ! At least it doesn’t have the mountains like Belmont. It should read true . Very much Like my home range of Dalby!

Question? Is there any stupid vertical on this range ?

I’m starting get excited and lots of hard work ahead of me in the shed and testing! This is where family sacrifices are at ! Lots of hours behind the gun and in the shed !

Again thank you Sir for that report ! =D>

Yes mate, there's vertical, if you get a right to left crosswind as in the photo and you're on the middle mound, you can get vertical, the wind does something funky when it hits the closest range and can put you high. I haven't shot on the far left so don't know about that one.

willow

#19 Postby willow » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:26 pm

GSells wrote:
BRETT B wrote:Stupid Vertical is an understatement!!! The Range is very flat but the trees on the left cause you Vert issues and you only need a tiny bit of sun and the sight picture is horrible because the targets are so low to the ground. The single firing point is 4.5 degrees slope so can be a bit harsh on your back for a few folk. I dont see many BIG scores being shot there and it has a reputation of being Brutal at times so my advise Graham is bring lots of Tissues and a Nappy!!

[-o< [-o< Thanks Bret . I was hoping for a holiday from Belmont vertical! :lol:

Yep already well practiced in the “ Fetal Position “ :shock:

Brett isn't underselling it either - it's a punishing range.

Quick

#20 Postby Quick » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:33 pm

Its a fun range. Tough and challenging. Please come and join the house of fun!!!!!!!!
Shaun aka 'Quick'
Yanchep, Western Australia

308 Win F/TR & F-S
7mm F-Open Shooter.

GSells

#21 Postby GSells » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:36 pm

willow wrote:
GSells wrote:
willow wrote:Hey Graham, Pinjar is tough. If there was one thing I hated about living in WA, it was the wind. You rarely get calm days, it's generally always blowing and can switch around quite a bit. You tend to get a breeze coming in off the Nullabor in the morning before it gives way to the Fremantle Dr later in the day. The range itself is flat with tress lining up on either side. The range backs onto a military zone and has one single firing point - it's concrete for a couple of hundred metres with gravel in front for front rests to be dug into (nowhere near as cushy as Belmont). Facing downrange you have three firing mounds - on the far right 300/400 metres...in the middle is 500 out to 700 metres and on the far left 800/900 (capability to go to 1000 down the track I believe). Facilities are good with a huge carpark catering for a couple of hundred cars +, club house facilities include full commercial grade kitchen plus bar, there's room to clean your rifles and WARA store is based there as well. I've attached a couple of photos of the range - and if the wind is blowing right to left like the photo and you're on the middle mound...good luck.

Wow Thanks for that , that is one solid report ! At least it doesn’t have the mountains like Belmont. It should read true . Very much Like my home range of Dalby!

Question? Is there any stupid vertical on this range ?

I’m starting get excited and lots of hard work ahead of me in the shed and testing! This is where family sacrifices are at ! Lots of hours behind the gun and in the shed !

Again thank you Sir for that report ! =D>

Yes mate, there's vertical, if you get a right to left crosswind as in the photo and you're on the middle mound, you can get vertical, the wind does something funky when it hits the closest range and can put you high. I haven't shot on the far left so don't know about that one.

Thanks Willow , all good info . I do like tough ranges , it would be boring otherwise!

scott/r

#22 Postby scott/r » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:59 am

You need to come up to North Arm and have some practice. We've got heaps of vertical.
Scott

DenisA

#23 Postby DenisA » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:18 am

Western Austr- aliens, your fear mongering and propaganda are futile against us, the QLD FSTD team have a secret weapon, we call him Amac!!!

Quick

#24 Postby Quick » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:24 am

Denis,

Its not propaganda. Its all true. Its a darn tough range. Should see the club shoot scores on average from there. Makes you wanna go What The F...
Shaun aka 'Quick'

308 Win F/TR & F-S
7mm F-Open Shooter.

DenisA

#25 Postby DenisA » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:51 am

Quick wrote:Denis,

Its not propaganda. Its all true. Its a darn tough range. Should see the club shoot scores on average from there. Makes you wanna go What The F...

You've failed already.....

The FSTD team have canted our scopes 5 degrees clockwise so that as wind is wound + / -the vert is kept true. I strongly recommend that all other FSTD teams do the same if they are to compete with us.
Last edited by DenisA on Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quick

#26 Postby Quick » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:54 am

Ohh well don't believe me then. As Brett said, bring tissues and nappies.
Shaun aka 'Quick'

308 Win F/TR & F-S
7mm F-Open Shooter.

GSells

#27 Postby GSells » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:25 am

Quick wrote:Ohh well don't believe me then. As Brett said, bring tissues and nappies.

I’m going to bring my .270 special with snake oil ! Its all good ! :shock:

RDavies

#28 Postby RDavies » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:21 pm

DenisA wrote:
Quick wrote:Denis,

You've failed already.....

The FSTD team have canted our scopes 5 degrees clockwise so that as wind is wound + / -the vert is kept true. I strongly recommend that all other FSTD teams do the same if they are to compete with us.

Well I have turned my scopes 90 degrees anti clockwise. It has turned my verticals into horizonticals, and they are the coaches problem.

Quick

#29 Postby Quick » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:28 pm

And that Ladies and Gents is the words of wisdom from the World Champs. Can't go wrong with that.
Shaun aka 'Quick'

308 Win F/TR & F-S
7mm F-Open Shooter.

GSells

#30 Postby GSells » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:09 am

Quick wrote:And that Ladies and Gents is the words of wisdom from the World Champs. Can't go wrong with that.

Good advice from the current World Champ ! I’m gunna try that :lol:

Return to “Events”