High power scopes and NQ mirage!!

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

RDavies

Re: High power scopes and NQ mirage!!

#16 Postby RDavies » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:24 am

[/quote]

I think u nailed that explanation !
I remember when you were up at Belmont a couple Years ago, I shot my rifle at 1000 yds and I had to shoot on 20x . I then gave u my rifle to shoot and you wacked it up the 55 x and shot a good score !!
When I saw you turn up the power, I was just amazed how you could still shoot so well!

Maybe you have the brain power to be able to see the target snap back ?? And I don’t lol?[/quote]

I dont know how many times I have shot other peoples rifles and wound the scope back up to full power, and they then had to wind it back again. I would say 50% of the time I use another rifle. I would say guess half of us out there would be the same. I wouldnt say it is brain power (In fact my boss and my wife would say I,m not hogging more than my fair share in that department), but just how some brains work differently. But yes, I watch for where the picture snaps back to when I do see the image shift. So a lot of our brains retain that info, but filters out all the other useful stuff. I would sometimes love to be able to see mirage the way a lot of shooters out there obviously do.

bully_eye

#17 Postby bully_eye » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:42 am

The March FX 5-40 with FML-1 reticle and .05Mil adjustments is possibly also worth considering. Reasonably fine adjustments for target type shooting. Good usable top end power at x40. Not too big. Not too heavy. Great glass. Yes I have one on a PSR type rifle and think it is a very good choice. It is pricy but in the same ball park as other March scopes and a lot of other higher end products. It has all the features you need without a lot of the frills some other manufacturers provide which in the end may be of questionable value.
Sorry for the sales pitch...I know it’s not exactly on topic. FWIW I’m one of the mirage see’ers and wind back the power when I see mirage.

Michael

pigdog

#18 Postby pigdog » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:59 pm

Yup that march 5-40 certainly looks the goods, I will be saving a while for that one....they say good things come to those who wait hey!!! I agree that the march seems to offer what you need without paying for all the other stuff. For example the nightforce atacr or Schmidt and bender PM 2 you have to pay for illumination which is a waste of money for me. March offers non illuminated models at couple of hundred less price than the illuminated. Anyway I'm in no hurry, no doubt by the time I have saved up I will have looked at every review possible and read every comment of every forum about all the scopes lol.

basil

#19 Postby basil » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:15 pm

A neighbour has a S&B 12-50, 0.25 clicks. He wouldn't recommend it for anything over 223, unless you're a fan of scope eye. Could be for sale.

UL1700

#20 Postby UL1700 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:44 pm

basil wrote:A neighbour has a S&B 12-50, 0.25 clicks. He wouldn't recommend it for anything over 223, unless you're a fan of scope eye. Could be for sale.

Mate of mine has the same scope and relegated it to the .22 bench gun after 2 sets of stitches, exceptional glass though!

Valk

#21 Postby Valk » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:18 pm

basil wrote:A neighbour has a S&B 12-50, 0.25 clicks. He wouldn't recommend it for anything over 223, unless you're a fan of scope eye. Could be for sale.

Rubbish....

I got 2 of them. One on the 6.5x47 and 284Win both shoot recoil free in fclass. Put close to 2000rds in the 6.5x47 and 1000+ in the 284Win and never for one had issues or close to getting eye scoped.

I know a person whom recently shot with it in a PRS match on 300Wmag. There was no complaint or seeing him getting eye scope.

Yes, the eye relief bit shorter compare to the others but the eye box is very easy to get behind and find the full picture straight away. Best FOV and that extra finer adjustment compare to the rest. And yes I shoot at Max mag.

RAVEN

#22 Postby RAVEN » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:26 pm

I agree with most of the comment it boils down to (pardon the pun) what suit your eye sight I’m a low power at long range type a guy
maybe it’s my coaching experience as I like to see more than the X ring I have also experienced when I can see the target clearly I usually shoot a higher score.
So experiment try a few different things see what suits you and your eye sight
stepping down the end objective increased depth of field but you lose light gathering it’s a trade off
wearing different colour glasses can increase contrast
using a spotting scope for a wide field of view can also give you more indicators on what happening mid-range and down range.
RB :D

Return to “Equipment & Technical”