New Barrel??

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

BC

New Barrel??

#1 Postby BC » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:21 pm

Can anyone please tell me when a barrel needs rechambering. Is it worth rechambering or it is better to get a new barrel. Thanks Ben

David B

Re: New Barrel??

#2 Postby David B » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:04 am

There are a few factors that need to be considered
What calibre?
How many rounds?
What barrel?
Is it fouling quickly?
What shows up when a competent person inspects with a bore scope?
There is a tipping point where you are better investing in a new barrel rather than trying to resurrect a barrel that is stuffed, a rechamber then becomes a waste of money and time.

David

williada

#3 Postby williada » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:01 am

BC, as David suggests there are a few factors. As a general rule a match barrel can be set back a little and chambered at about 1500 rounds. Many a good barrel just seems to still shoot despite a small reduction in length even after several nips on the chamber. However if the barrel is let go too long before re-chambering say over 3000 rounds which is the general limit of match grade performance in 308's but in hotter gear 2000 rounds, it really needs a total re-furb of professional lapping to remove carbon and fouling as well as a small amount of steel to even up things. Don't forget the crown, which often needs a nip to tidy up the wear from the cleaning rod dropping to six o'clock. If you have your own gear, then a one thread reduction at 700 rounds can be very beneficial to keeping the throat fresh with hotter performers. That amounts to one rotation of the barrel and a wee nip of the chamber and seems to extend life past 2000 rounds where real doctoring might be needed to maintain performance. The barrel needs to be slugged and inspected for variation s in bore size. That will probably determine if you need a new barrel. Too many people discard great barrels. The problem is too few people with the skills to tidy them up properly in a worn throat.

Pommy Chris

#4 Postby Pommy Chris » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:23 pm

I depended a lot on the barrel too and I do wonder if moly does protect to some degree. I recently borescoped one of my .308 barrels that shoots 215 hybrids at 2700 fps which is just below the Belmont limit. This barrel is only a medium palma that dont normally work with 215 's and when I finish shooting it is super hot. It has had moly from new and borescoping it after 1800 rounds it is perfect, almost no fire cracking or wear. Another barrel that shot nude 185's slowly ie low pressures was not shooting well anymore so I scoped it too it was a horrible picture, with cracking and wear. Not a real test as only two barrels but moly does seem to protect.
Chris

BC

#5 Postby BC » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:27 pm

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

The barrel is Trueflite and had 2581 rounds through it.
The Calibre is .308
I use 155gr Sierra Projectiles
I use 45.8gn of AR2208 to get just under 3000ft/sec and
I clean the barrel every time I use my rifle but I do not have good bore scope.

It still shoots reasonable well, but I do not know if it is me or the rifle for my not so perfect scores.

I think I should take my rifle to my gunsmith to have it checked.

Ben

Pommy Chris

#6 Postby Pommy Chris » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:35 pm

BC wrote:Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

The barrel is Trueflite and had 2581 rounds through it.
The Calibre is .308
I use 155gr Sierra Projectiles
I use 45.8gn of AR2208 to get just under 3000ft/sec and
I clean the barrel every time I use my rifle but I do not have good bore scope.

It still shoots reasonable well, but I do not know if it is me or the rifle for my not so perfect scores.

I think I should take my rifle to my gunsmith to have it checked.

Ben

It could be fouling too, I recently borescoped a few barrels from a club member and it was scary carbon, one barrel was almost a smooth bore the the middle the grooves were literally fully of carbon. The shooter cleans every shoot and uses bronze brushes too. I paste every 250 rounds since I bought a borescope as solvents just dont remove all the carbon and it builds up. I recently asked a shooter who was convinced he was getting all the carbon out for a look up his barrel. The non leading land was no longer a land but a carbon slope ie each land only had one sharp edge the rest was carbon. Get someone to check your barrel IMO it is clogged with carbon.
Chris

williada

#7 Postby williada » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:48 pm

BC, it sounds like it is getting a bit long in the tooth. There must be someone in your club who can look down the barrel after a thorough clean. For a gunsmith to work it over at that round count is not worth it unless someone with recognised skills does it as a freeby. Often a barrel with that round count needs five or six foulers before it is shot in competition if you are cleaning it after you shoot it because like cholesterol there is good and bad fouling if you want to improve scores if the barrel is used in the current state for a little longer. Some fouling is needed to fill the hollows in an older barrel unless it is lapped correctly. May I suggest you get a new barrel and have the old barrel re-chambered with the same reamer to be used as a fire-former for new brass in club shoots if you aspire to improve precision. In that case you will need a switch barrel setup and barrel vice.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”