New to reloading, what equipment route is best

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Asgardloki

New to reloading, what equipment route is best

#1 Postby Asgardloki » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:29 am

Good morning,

I'm wanting to start reloading 223 and eventually will want to load 308 and then 6.5 and possibly 243. It will be for target shooting and would like to get into competition FTR /fclass.

I would rather purchase the right stuff from the get go.

Tossing up a kit( like rcbs rock chucker or MEC marksman kit) + additional bits or to just buy indivual components.

Press
I'm interested in the Forster co ax as this looks to he very well thought out piece of equipment but also looking at a lower cost option in the MEC marksman, both have a case holder that can recenter itself to avoid any misalignment. This would be for sizing de priming.

Arbor press for seating

Dies
Wilson full length bushing die for sizing and full length micrometer seating die for Arbor press.
Is whidden sizer really worth the extra money?

Priming
Are hand primers the way to go? from what I have read yes, however seeing the Lee bench mount primer and auto loader looks appealing. Also looked at the 21st century hand primer tool which seems to be single load only.

Other options for consideration are obviously powder dispenser options be that traditional vs electronic, chamfer and deburring, case trimming and case prep tool like timber vs ultrasonic cleaning or both as I will use once fired brass to start with.

If anyone has experience with the MEC marksman I would very much like to get your opinion, as well as thoughts and experiences on if you were to start again...

Many thanks in advance
James

Cutanything

Re: New to reloading, what equipment route is best

#2 Postby Cutanything » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:03 am

I go Forster all the way my self press and dies

Pommy Chris

#3 Postby Pommy Chris » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:01 pm

I have Redding dies but found runout to be far better using a 30 odd dollar Lee collet die (neck die). Reason they work so well is a mandrel goes into the neck and deprimer lines it all up, then a collet closes round the outside of the neck sizing it. What this does is makes the INSIDE uniform not the outside. Neck brass will be thicker or thinner on one side than the other. Sizing from the outside if you are not uniforming the brass which is a pain in the butt to do will have the inside off center depending on brass thickness on the walls of the neck. The collet squeezing the outside onto the mandrel makes the all important inside of the neck correct so the projectile sits straight. Using the lee run out is non existent. Also neck sizing only your brass will last a lot longer as you are not working it so much.
Chris

ben_g

#4 Postby ben_g » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:35 pm

I am still using my RCBS rockchucker press, powder thrower and beam scale I bought in the kit some 5 years ago.

I personally like whidden sizing and seating dies (have used Redding and Forster as well)

I don’t feel my reloading gear holds me back. I would like a nice set of lab scales and an auto throw/auto trickler setup but at this stage I end up spending the money on bullets and barrels so I can get more practice.

For loading at the range I would like to get a Harrels compact press and maybe an arbour press to use with some Wilson inline seating dies.

Good reloading methods, good calipers and consistency is more important than having the most expensive press or auto powder thrower

UL1700

#5 Postby UL1700 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:04 pm

In reality I don't think any premium press will let you down. I run a RCBS summit with forster or Redding Dies and have neck runout of about 0.0005 thou. I also use a arbour press and wilson dies which improves the run out fractionally not that I have seen a difference at the range although I'm also new to this game.

Tim N

#6 Postby Tim N » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:34 pm

For priming I have a K&M (I think) that checks depth of primer pocket and depth of primer, with a dial gauge which provides precise seating crush to your preference.
I bought it for the recent Canada trip.
This is one of the 1% things I do for 800yds and beyond
Dose it make a difference? I really couldn’t tell you
Otherwise I use a Lee? with a primer tray because it’s quick and easy.
Start with a tray type.
Good luck
We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training. Archilochos 680-645 BC

Asgardloki

#7 Postby Asgardloki » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:17 pm

thanks for your replies everyone.

interesting video here that compares run out on the MEC/Forster Co ax/ RCBS rock chucker. with a Lee Collet and forster seating die. best was on the MEC at .0007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txJ2bfFqxSk

Return to “Equipment & Technical”