New F Open Rifle

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Frank Green

New F Open Rifle

#1 Postby Frank Green » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:30 am

Been a while since I've posted anything even though I do take a peek on and off to see what is going on but have been pretty busy.

Built a new F open rifle.

Manners F Class stock in carbon fiber.
Barnard PL action (left hand of course)
Currently I have two barrels done for it in the same contour. The contour is 1.350" x 5.000" str. taper to 1.100"@32" finish.
One barrel is in 6.5PRC and is in 1-7.25 twist (haven't shot it as of yet) and the other barrel is in a new .30cal. mag. and the one I'm focusing on. The .30cal. is in 1-9 twist.

I've only got 40 rounds on the .30cal. but from the get go it's been a hammer. Working on velocities right now. Right now I'm slinging 225 Hornady's and 230 Sierra's at 2900fps. Just been doing chronograph work at a 100 yards. One day next week I'll be shooting it at 800, 900, and a 1k yards. First match I can shoot it in is June 18th.

Later, Frank
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Frank Green

Re: New F Open Rifle

#2 Postby Frank Green » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:33 am

Forgot to add.

Weight is 21.7#
Scope is Vortex Golden Eagle
Scope rings are Badger Ordnance

Craig McGowan

#3 Postby Craig McGowan » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:01 am

Sweet rig Frank. 2900 FPS with a large pill is sure moving. Cannot wait to see how it performs.
You should have a couple of presents turning up this week from Fedex to go with it.

Keen to hear your thoughts on the Hornady and what performance you can get out of them

Talk soon.

Frank Green

#4 Postby Frank Green » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:45 am

I’ll let you know when they get here. Thanks!

I should be able to push or come close to 3000fps with the 225/230gr. Bullets. Yes that is hauling!

When we go to the range next week we are also taking a Labradar along with us. So we should be able to get some pretty good data. Gonna watch the weather forecast and pick the best day to go. Monday we cannot because we have a customer coming for the day. Wednesday the range has a club shoot. So Tues. Or Thurs. or Friday. I’ll keep you posted on how it turns out.

Dave in the shop has been shooting the 225 Hornday’s thru his .300wm and has shot a quite a bit of the new 200gr. Smk’s as well. He says they shoot so close accuracy wise that hard to tell apart. So he is hanging with the Hornady’s primarily.

williada

#5 Postby williada » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:27 am

Frank good to see you have gone with the heavy re-enforce to control the ignition shock wave wave and control a bit of whip. Craig those barrels will work, particularly in FTR . Still have a couple of old ones from circa 2000 we had made although Frank has gone with a wider re-enforce diameter. We achieved a similar thing with a barrel block over the standard re-enforce. So one of your aluminium stocks would suit here. With the old pills in a slow twist in .308 they were a killer at short range. With fast twist, they smashed 1000 yards out of the machine rest. Yet to try heavy Hordardy in other calibres, but 162's performed at 1000 yard in the SAUM which I spun to sort.

Matt P

#6 Postby Matt P » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:25 am

David
I think you'll find the 1.350 due to the tenon diameter, on those PL actions is 1.125, not the normal 1.062.
Matt

Frank Green

#7 Postby Frank Green » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:18 pm

Matt P, Did the 1.350 breech diameter for a couple of reasons. First you are correct... with the 1.125” receiver threads I wanted a bigger breech diameter so I had more shoulder on the barrel to butt up against the receiver. The reason I put a taper on the barrel was to keep more of the weight towards the balance point of the rifle. I almost went to a 1.450” breech diameter but wasn’t sure off hand what the weight of the barrel would be (should’ve had the shop grab a scrap hunk of steel and turned one up and play with the contour). HInd sight is 20/20 as they say.

Also with the bigger breech diameter I feel it might help with barrel expansion in the chamber area during firing. That’s kind of a theory on my part. That might be what williada is getting at if I’m reading his post correctly in the beginning.

Mark at work and I have talked about building a F open gun using a barrel block set up as well. Seen a couple of them over here. Mark is primarily a short range bench shooter and has an unlimited gun as well which is a barrel block set up. He just set a new unlimited class record late last year with it as well. A 10 shot group at 100 yards that measured .104”. Beat the old record by like .020” or so. Building a barrel block f class rifle? That might be a future project between us. I got Mark to shoot his first F class match two years ago and he had a blast. So he built a rifle as well.

For the limited amount of rounds I have thru the new rifle I’m very pleased with the accuracy as it sits and think it would be hard to improve on it.

williada

#8 Postby williada » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:46 pm

Yep Frank, that is what I was getting at because it also has knock on effects for vibration and yes you are left with no choice but to taper given balance and weight restrictions. The unlimited gun sounds fun.

SunnyCoast 5r

#9 Postby SunnyCoast 5r » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:36 pm

Wow, that carbon fibre stock looks bloody good!

What caliber is the rifle (if it’s not rude to ask)?

Thanks

RDavies

#10 Postby RDavies » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:42 pm

Yes, what calibre? I reckon recoil would be "noticeable" with a big 30 in a 10kg gun. Ballistics should be good though.
The gun certainly looks the goods.

Matt P

#11 Postby Matt P » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:42 pm

Frank Green wrote:
Also with the bigger breech diameter I feel it might help with barrel expansion in the chamber area during firing. That’s kind of a theory on my part.

Frank
I agree with this 100% I’ve seen Actions in titanium and small shank Savages not being able the same pressure as stainless or chromoly especially in magnum cartridges and believe it’s to do with “meat around the chamber”.
Matt P

Frank Green

#12 Postby Frank Green » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:10 pm

RDavies wrote:Yes, what calibre? I reckon recoil would be "noticeable" with a big 30 in a 10kg gun. Ballistics should be good though.

The 6.5 barrel is in 6.5PRC and the .30cal. Barrel is in .300PRC. As close as I can describe it, it is a .375 Ruger necked down to .30cal.

I’ve been wanting to do a .30 for a couple of years but couldn’t make my mind up. Almost did it in .300 Norma but when I seen one of these running/being shot and the more and more I looked at the case design and seeing it will do anything the Norma can and not having to go to a Norma/Lapua bolt face is what pushed me. I also feel it’s going to be more efficient if there is such a thing!

It will do more than the .300wm can and the WSM and not work as hard either velocity and pressure wise.

Dave in the shop is running a .300wm and with the same bullet he is running A heavier powder charge then me and 50fps less velocity. I know 50fps doesn’t sound like much and can be the difference of one barrel to the next but Dave is stepping on his as well as he has a long throat and his WM is max’d Out. I’m not pushing mine at all and didn’t change a thing throat wise etc....
Last edited by Frank Green on Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frank Green

#13 Postby Frank Green » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:12 pm

RDavies wrote:Yes, what calibre? I reckon recoil would be "noticeable" with a big 30 in a 10kg gun. Ballistics should be good though.

Forgot. Recoil isn’t bad. No sharpness at all. Just a heavy push. Only shot it off the bench for now. Shooting a 20 round string I don’t feel beat up at all afterwards.

Frank Green

#14 Postby Frank Green » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:20 pm

Matt P wrote:
Frank Green wrote:
Also with the bigger breech diameter I feel it might help with barrel expansion in the chamber area during firing. That’s kind of a theory on my part.

Frank
I agree with this 100% I’ve seen Actions in titanium and small shank Savages not being able the same pressure as stainless or chromoly especially in magnum cartridges and believe it’s to do with “meat around the chamber”.
Matt P

Matt P, To add to your comment.....this seems to be a problem with rounds like the .338 Lapua. So much case/chamber diameter and with a standard type action, smaller breech diameters you end up losing wall thickness and with the pressures they run at and hearing plenty of guys complaining about sticky case extraction, hard to size the brass etc...the extra meat isn’t going to hurt me at all. On the big magnums that was one of the reasons for AI to go to the new rifle with a bigger breech diameter on the barrel to help combat this problem if you want to call it that.

Later, Frank

macguru

#15 Postby macguru » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:33 pm

So what cartridge are you using for .30 cal ? or are you developing a wildcat of your own ?
id quod est

Return to “Equipment & Technical”