Seb PodPad

Here you have an audience of people with similar equipment needs. Chances are that someone will have what you need or vice versa.

Moderator: Mod

Cos

Seb PodPad

#1 Postby Cos » Mon May 21, 2018 8:45 pm

Hi
Looking for a Seb PodPad if anyone has one that they don’t use
Cheers Cos
Last edited by Cos on Fri May 25, 2018 9:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

Pommy Chris

Re: Seb PodPad

#2 Postby Pommy Chris » Tue May 22, 2018 9:25 am

Others may chip in, but IMO if you like me dont hold the rifle the pod pad will likely give elevation shots. I have tried a few times and as the top of the pad is not flat and a small groove is made if the feet are slightly on the rise of the groove then when shot is fired the gun sits down into the grove and elevation shot seems to result. Not totally sure what is going on but that is my guess.. I then tried holding the rifle which I find very uncomfortable and elevation shots were gone so I ditched the pad and went back to my front plate which I have never had any issues with.
Chris

Gyro

#3 Postby Gyro » Tue May 22, 2018 9:40 am

Pommy Chris wrote:Others may chip in, but IMO if you like me dont hold the rifle the pod pad will likely give elevation shots. I have tried a few times and as the top of the pad is not flat and a small groove is made if the feet are slightly on the rise of the groove then when shot is fired the gun sits down into the grove and elevation shot seems to result. Not totally sure what is going on but that is my guess.. I then tried holding the rifle which I find very uncomfortable and elevation shots were gone so I ditched the pad and went back to my front plate which I have never had any issues with.
Chris

Chris I think you're being unduly harsh here.

They might make a good doorstop !

mike H

#4 Postby mike H » Tue May 22, 2018 6:25 pm

Pommy Chris wrote:Others may chip in, but IMO if you like me dont hold the rifle the pod pad will likely give elevation shots. I have tried a few times and as the top of the pad is not flat and a small groove is made if the feet are slightly on the rise of the groove then when shot is fired the gun sits down into the grove and elevation shot seems to result. Not totally sure what is going on but that is my guess.. I then tried holding the rifle which I find very uncomfortable and elevation shots were gone so I ditched the pad and went back to my front plate which I have never had any issues with.
Chris

Chris,
You have me thinking,I am using a joypad and the pad,to put it nicely I am the King of verticals at the moment.I have blamed old age,crook eyes,lack of load development and more or less have decided to put up with it,might be time to go back to a thin carpet mat on the front board for a while.
Mike.

Pommy Chris

#5 Postby Pommy Chris » Wed May 23, 2018 4:40 pm

mike H wrote:
Chris

Chris,
You have me thinking,I am using a joypad and the pad,to put it nicely I am the King of verticals at the moment.I have blamed old age,crook eyes,lack of load development and more or less have decided to put up with it,might be time to go back to a thin carpet mat on the front board for a while.
Mike.

I tried a couple of times and got horrible vertical. With the Joypod too push it forward and then draw it back maybe 1cm to load the legs otherwise the Joypod is going over center and that will give elevation also. IMO though if you are free recoiling like me and using the pad that is your problem. Try a plate with marine carpet on top it works a treat for me. Last time I tried the pod pad I got so sick of the elevation and hated holding the rifle so I borrowed John Anderson's bum board he uses to get in and out of his car (he is in a wheel chair) as my plate with carpet was at home. On the second detail I covered the board with a towel and shot off it and got a 60 with some. I remember joking with John that he would need to find another way to get into his car :D
Chris

Gyro

#6 Postby Gyro » Wed May 23, 2018 7:10 pm

Seems a no-brainer to me that a plate/board with some carpet or other uniform fabric on top will be more consistent than a Podpad ! Especially for free recoil as u say Chris.

Go with a steel plate I reckon to gain a higher inertia value than a board gives. Why ? Because ya DON'T want the board or plate moving during recoil.. If the board or plate moves too during recoil then you've just added another variable !

When holding the gun the rules change because it's then very easy to load the whole gun/bipod assembly with stresses when shooting off a front plate that offers inadequate 'give', which is why you then need a softer surface on the front plate.

Pommy Chris

#7 Postby Pommy Chris » Wed May 23, 2018 10:41 pm

Gyro wrote:Seems a no-brainer to me that a plate/board with some carpet or other uniform fabric on top will be more consistent than a Podpad ! Especially for free recoil as u say Chris.

Go with a steel plate I reckon to gain a higher inertia value than a board gives. Why ? Because ya DON'T want the board or plate moving during recoil.. If the board or plate moves too during recoil then you've just added another variable !

When holding the gun the rules change because it's then very easy to load the whole gun/bipod assembly with stresses when shooting off a front plate that offers inadequate 'give', which is why you then need a softer surface on the front plate.

And if you ever shoot in Belmont you need a steel plate to crush down the springy grass, it is like a bed it is so springy :D
Chris

Quick

#8 Postby Quick » Thu May 24, 2018 7:04 am

I have a spare if you still need one. Brand new still in the plastic. Haha.
Shaun aka 'Quick'
Yanchep, Western Australia

308 Win F/TR & F-S
7mm F-Open Shooter.

bsouthernau

#9 Postby bsouthernau » Thu May 24, 2018 10:21 pm

Nobody seems to have much good to say about them. Williada uses one but mightn't read a WTB post, what do you think abt moving this to Eqpt & Tech Alan? Original poster bought my unused podpad, only want the one Cos??

Tim L

#10 Postby Tim L » Sun May 27, 2018 6:15 pm

I just won a Queens with one. I think Jason M was top Aus FTR in Canada and he uses one.
They aren't everyones cup of tea, and certainly have their nuances, but i find they are great for absorbing that torque. I'll be back to my steel plate at Belmont cos a pod pad won't squash that grass, but up here in the ville, it's great to just plob on the concrete.

Oh! And i have a spare one if the op is still looking .

jasmay

#11 Postby jasmay » Sun May 27, 2018 7:42 pm

2 shooters, same rifle 4 details, 1 shooter is fairly new and only shot the rifle twice.

All details shot off a pod pad with no plate under it, this is just the latest result from this weekend.

Last weekend I smacked a 59.9 in at 600, same setup.

You are all well over thinking it.

I have tried plates, rubber mats, carpets, plates covered with carpet, silicon, timber... you name it I’ve had a crack. The pod pad is by far superior.

If you don’t believe me, believe Tim.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gyro

#12 Postby Gyro » Mon May 28, 2018 4:36 am

Cos, guess what ? YOU'RE ON YOUR OWN BUDDY.

I'm one of the over thinkers. I still believe thinking/analysis of a bunch of very simple and tangible dynamics that take place during a rifles recoil 'impulse ' would be a worthwhile exercise.

Perhaps THE best group I ever saw shot was off a podpad and bipod at 800 yards. Yes they can work !

BUT ya gotta be smarter than that. Tim tells u why. Chris tells u why. Jase tells u the the podpad is superior to everything else !

I got a podpad with my Joypod. I would have preferred a free set of steak knives.

Do you sell joypods Jase ?

Tim L

#13 Postby Tim L » Tue May 29, 2018 9:10 am

Gyro,
imo (and it is just an opinion) it is the better option in some circumstances.
Townsville has concrete mounds, I use the Pod pad there because I find the sand duls the torque that is fired down the leg. On the grassy mounds at Belmont I use a 3/8 steel plate with carpet on top. The grass is squashed to eliminate the 'spring' but leaves enough give to absorb the torque. At Clermont the mounds are gravel. There i use a rubber mat with carpet on top because i find the podpad deforms too much on that surface but the steel plate ends up with no give.
With all that said both Jason and Chris (and many others) are quite cabable of outshooting me regardless of my choice but my choice fits my headspace just like threirs fit their own.

Your turn now, could you please run us through those "very simple and tangible dynamics that take place during a rifles recoil 'impulse ' ".

Gyro

#14 Postby Gyro » Tue May 29, 2018 10:38 am

When i saw this thread i 1st thought it best to say nothing because ultimately it ends up with negative comments about a particular product. Then Chris commented and i thought why not add something too especially as Cos is so new to the site and perhaps new to the accuracy side of shooting.

Anyway, i shall not now go into the "very simple stuff" now but just consider this : if a shooter buys a bloody big expensive scope and releases shots with perfect aim at his/her target but still the boolits go to all parts of the target then clearly something is happening. Why is it happening and where on the rifle or rests is it happening ? Its 'mechanical' stuff surely ? It is in my world and just keeping it simple has enabled me to do ok with my competition shooting. I dont have a mentor and believe me nobody gives away any secrets over here !!!!

This is not about me tho. I like to add bits in to this site that may help the less experienced shooters.

I would suggest many 'lesser' shooters ( and BTW i still want to shoot a lot better !!! ) would profit by just looking at the simple stuff !!!! And if ya dont understand then get somebody who does, to critique your gear and how you've set it up and how u are driving it. The GUN HANDLING is hugely important.

I build all my own stocks and normally in a radical design plus i do ALL my own gunsmithing/chambering. The chambering part is important too and i suspect some 'gunsmiths' take shortcuts here that i firmly believe will compromise the rifles accuracy. More mechanical stuff and NOT complicated.

My gunsmithing is i believe perfect but lots of my other innovations are likely not perfect. But ya learn lots with innovation and tryng ideas.

jasmay

#15 Postby jasmay » Tue May 29, 2018 8:53 pm

Yes, I sell joypod, when I can get them... just like a well Smithed gun, everything good takes time.

As for a pod pad vs another plate/mat setup, there are a lot of factors we all need to take into consideration I guess and maybe saying “you are over thinking it” was actually the wrong thing, but my angle there was that “the pod pad is rubbish” is the over thinking part, when it’s actually not thinking about the right things.

I’ve seen plenty of our countries best shooters, getting elevation issues off other mats/plates etc, more so than off Pod Pads, so what does that tell you? It certainly doesn’t tell me hat they don’t work.

If you buy a Joypod off me, you get a pod pad free, so it’s not about making money if that’s what others are thinking.

At some point you have to stop blaming the gear you have and work out how to get the best out of it.

As I said, I have shot off most things (actually I’d take the best that I’ve trialled more than most have) and worked on it all extensively over the past 5 years and two FCWC, what I worked out is that despite what some believe is an advantage shooting off flat plates/steel/timber etc. there are other aspects that cause what I believe to be worse issues.

I’m not going to try and convince anyone one way or the other, that’s why I left it so long to comment but after the negative comments, thought it was time to chime in.

They are far from rubbish, but, work out what works for you, I’ve also been working on a project that I have tested accroas more than 25 shooters both experienced and new, all of here invloved a pod pad as the base (it wasn’t the test piece) and the results have been quite amazing, the pod pad is most certainly not an issue when used right.

Return to “For Sale/Wanted to Buy”