Starting out in F Standard - Tikka T3x?

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

axio

Starting out in F Standard - Tikka T3x?

#1 Postby axio » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:07 pm

Hi All

I'm new to F Class and have shot at my local club a few times using their club rifle, I'm ready to move up and get my own rifle. Unless I see something good on used guns i'm just going to buy something new.

My range only goes up to 600m, do you think this will be enough to start off?

Tikka T3x Varmint 1/11 twist in .308 - about $1300 from most stores.

I will start by competing in F Standard. Eventually upgrade the stock and barrel. Long term move into a more expensive action/custom build and delegate the Tikka to a hunting rifle when i know what i want.

Gyro

Re: Starting out in F Standard - Tikka T3x?

#2 Postby Gyro » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:57 am

I can't comment on F Standard but I'll put some ideas out to bear in mind.

Potential "Factory Rifle" problems : Bore of barrel maybe not finished well enough such that bore roughness will mean u will foul-out quickly and accuracy will deteriorate. Chamber dimensions may be loose/large. Stock ergonomics maybe not ideal for Prone-only shooting. The trigger maybe not as good as a "custom" one ......

Plus you can get into a compromised situation where the rifle you first choose to cover both the hunting and target shooting bases is not ideal for either ?

Personally I'd look at a used 'target' rifle and tart it up a bit as necessary. Cheers Rob.

Brad Y

#3 Postby Brad Y » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:37 pm

I would go for it but look at a more conventional f class stock for it. I have a t3 varmint in 223 and it shoots 80gr sierras well enough to shoot possibles without heaps of effort. If ever you want a step up, get a new barrel for it and away you go. Tikka make some of the most accurate factory rifles going, and a good quality barrel can be installed my any competent gunsmith. The actions seem quite good tolerance wise for factory actions. In fact some research has found that one guy in the USA who works them will usually only have to square an action face and install a good barrel and they supposedly shoot well.

Brad Y

#4 Postby Brad Y » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:39 pm

Last year at the national state f class teams event at lower light in SA, dave McNamara (North Queensland) used a FTR rifle built on a tikka action by Shane at CRM gun sports in Cairns. I think he top scored for the team and the rifle shoots really well.

Singo85

#5 Postby Singo85 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:24 pm

Axio, Where are you shooting?

I am sure there would be a wealth of knowledge that can assist you or let you try different options at your range?
Cheers
Michael Singleton

Send-it

#6 Postby Send-it » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:50 pm

Axio,
go for it.
there will be lots of other aspects to learn along the path of f class shooting, such as;
wind reading,
mirage reading,
learning to reload ammo for accuracy,
learning better techniques for using other equipment such as front and rear rests.

Tikka's,........although not competition grade,......are known for their accuracy and reliability, and i've seen plenty of them that'll shoot as good as my Barnard in the hands of good shooters.

don't forget,........you don't have to keep the Tikka forever.
So just get started in f class anyway,..... and take it from there.

bad_primer

#7 Postby bad_primer » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:31 pm

Go for the Tikka. The best thing for you starting out is to get and practice, compete, ask questions and have fun! The Tikka Varmint will deliver thousands of shots very accurately out of the box, and provide a great way to get you into learning the finer aspects of the shooting disciplines; reading wind, timing your shots, picking your shots and setting up a scope and your equipment to work. EST for you!
It’s been said here already, the Tikka action can always be used as an excellent base to add on high quality aftermarket barrel and take it to another level again.
I have jumped into F-class from TR in the last 12mths and with a Tikka Rifle rebarreld with a high barrel and the limitation on it is me, the shooter who is learning the F-class game.

Gyro

#8 Postby Gyro » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:21 am

Now re the T3 Tikka promotions above I'd have to agree they are a well priced rifle that can shoot well ...... there's a guy over here in a club across the island a ways who shoots a Tikka T3 in 223 and shoots it VERY well just off a Harris bipod. He's beaten guys with much more expensive gear. I believe it's got a 1:8 twist barrel.

Now as some of us well know it's always gonna be easier to shoot a lighter recoiling rifle well especially when it's not a more 'serious' purpose-built setup so maybe a 223 is an option ? As long as the wind never blows in Oz you'll be fine !! Just saying.

Gyro

#9 Postby Gyro » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:23 am

Correction : I hear the tikka I mention above has had an after-market custom barrel fitted. Sorry.

axio

#10 Postby axio » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:23 pm

Thanks for all the input folks, my main goal right now is to get behind the trigger and get used to my equipment.

17brno

#11 Postby 17brno » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:39 pm

Dans not using a harris bipod anymore either Rob but your right his tikka certainly does shoot well
Cheers Ivan

GSells

#12 Postby GSells » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:37 pm

axio wrote:Thanks for all the input folks, my main goal right now is to get behind the trigger and get used to my equipment.

That is the most important thing , just start some where. Even an old Omark could be the way to go for $500 and plenty have started there!

Tikka is a good choice too , seen a Fsb shooter win his class our to 900 yrs with one , factory 24" 223.

!Peter!

#13 Postby !Peter! » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:51 am

I'm currently developing a T3 223 1/8 twist for my eldest and am very happy. The stock trigger breaks almost as good as my CG and G+E triggers, action is smooth, plenty of throat length for the 80gn.

Only change to the barreled action I'm planning is to put a lighter spring in the trigger. I'm even keeping the plastic stock but am going to add epoxyed lead shot to the stock voids to increase the weight and rigidity.

Would I take this rifle to an international comp.? Nope. Would I take it to a club PM? Absolutely!!

Return to “Equipment & Technical”