March ELR scope

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Pete

March ELR scope

#1 Postby Pete » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:26 am

https://forum.snipershide.com/threads/m ... st-6945913

Not sure on the looks and not really needing to shoot a 22 to 1000 yrds.....
But you have to 100%, love them or hate them, respect Marches commitment in new technologies and engineering evolution.
Pete
PS Read the 2nd comment from Alan Warner, interesting thought.........

bruce moulds

Re: March ELR scope

#2 Postby bruce moulds » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:09 am

pete,
that scope would be good on a long range black powder rifle.
you need about 150 moa from 300 to 1000 yds on these rifle, and it might take them out to 1 mile.
would look a bit out of place on a ballard, hiwall, or sharps though.
keep safe,
bruce.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880
http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

BATattack

#3 Postby BATattack » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:36 pm

Same as an old Lyman with external adjustments except they have built a sealed housing around it. :-)

Great until unless rest the tube against something and pushes AWAY from the adjustment turret.

bully_eye

#4 Postby bully_eye » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:06 pm

I’m a March guy but was hoping for something that is more suited to the 95% rather han the 5%. ELR is growing in the States and they have the (allowed) space to do it so this might do well for them. I personally guessed a 40mm tube (have they actually said diameter??) and the with a little hint, at the ELR purpose for the scope. It is good to see that they are prepared to push the boundaries...not a totally new idea but a technological leap in its implementation. To be honest I also guessed at something in the USD$5k+ range and while this isn’t so strange these days it really puts things out of the realm of affordability for most/all?
I’m in the market for a high(ish) end scope for a new rifle (not a target rifle per se) but realistically have to draw a very firm line at AUD$4k (still a bloody lot of money...)
Ps March is still in the running for my $$

Michael

willow

#5 Postby willow » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:13 am

bully_eye wrote:I’m a March guy but was hoping for something that is more suited to the 95% rather han the 5%. ELR is growing in the States and they have the (allowed) space to do it so this might do well for them. I personally guessed a 40mm tube (have they actually said diameter??) and the with a little hint, at the ELR purpose for the scope. It is good to see that they are prepared to push the boundaries...not a totally new idea but a technological leap in its implementation. To be honest I also guessed at something in the USD$5k+ range and while this isn’t so strange these days it really puts things out of the realm of affordability for most/all?
I’m in the market for a high(ish) end scope for a new rifle (not a target rifle per se) but realistically have to draw a very firm line at AUD$4k (still a bloody lot of money...)
Ps March is still in the running for my $$

Michael

The new Kahles K625 looks appealing Michael, but I'm going to be doing my best to secure a ZCO scope.

bully_eye

#6 Postby bully_eye » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:41 am

€3300 for the K625i...once again way out of my justifiable price range.

BATattack

#7 Postby BATattack » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:44 am

anything with FFP and PRS in its concept is 30% over priced. With PRS I've never seen a sport so reliant on technique yet marketed with rubbish toys in my life!

bully_eye

#8 Postby bully_eye » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:07 pm

BATattack wrote:anything with FFP and PRS in its concept is 30% over priced. With PRS I've never seen a sport so reliant on technique yet marketed with rubbish toys in my life!

There is definitely a FFP tariff for sure. Don’t see this one as useful for practical rifle competitions at all but perhaps I’ll be proven wrong. March scopes don’t really rate with the PRS guys in the States to begin with (nor the PRS or precision service rifle shooter in Oz from what I’ve seen). Lots of reasons I’m sure (sponsorship and lack of ‘tacticool’ street cred amongst them) but I think it is actually a touch underated- the March FX 5-40 is a brilliant scope for any shooting where a FFP optic is useful and even with .05Mil per click adjustments is still precise enough for most target shooting scenarios too (of course 1/8 MOA per click is better).
In the end I think that the new offering is a very niche product which I can’t see being a massive seller for the brand. Then again any scope which is priced at USD$5k+ will appeal to a much smaller market purely due to its cost. Value v Cost is a totally different conversation.

Michael

watrob

#9 Postby watrob » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:05 pm

They will be $7,500 + here in Australia and they are FFP, and will reach out to 7000 yards on larger calibres. They are also pretty heavy. Now there is talk about to shoot 500Fly with a 22 rimfire with this scope!

Wal86

#10 Postby Wal86 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:22 am

watrob wrote:They will be $7,500 + here in Australia and they are FFP, and will reach out to 7000 yards on larger calibres. They are also pretty heavy. Now there is talk about to shoot 500Fly with a 22 rimfire with this scope!

If those figures are correct $7,500 + then, i cant see too many sold in this country.. There are too many good affordable scopes out there to justify that sort of dollars..

Cheers

bruce moulds

#11 Postby bruce moulds » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:06 am

they seem to work on a similar adjustment system to the old lyman super targetspot i.e. exterior.
the world goes full circle.
keep safe,
bruce.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880

http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

macguru

#12 Postby macguru » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:31 pm

Not sure where I would ever use that scope .....
id quod est

Return to “Equipment & Technical”