Powder & Primers in the tropics.

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

fclass556

Powder & Primers in the tropics.

#1 Postby fclass556 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:09 pm

Recently re located to Hervey Bay in Queensland from Vic. Have bought with me quite a few tubs of ADI powder and a few thousand BR 4 primers etc. I’ve put a couple of those Bunnings moisture tubs in my gun and ammo safe which appear to drawing a LOT of moisture from the air. Just wondering how the Qlder’s store their reloading kit and is it worth actually having large amounts of powder and primers stored. Cheers, Andy.
'AIM TWICE .. SHOOT ONCE "

Longranger

Re: Powder & Primers in the tropics.

#2 Postby Longranger » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:25 pm

Beware of those moisture absorbing tubs. Some can promote rust.
Powder will be fine as it comes with the lid firmly tightened. Primers seem to last ok just in a dry cupboard in original packaging. I think cold wet climates are worse than Hervey Bay. I'd be more worried about salt air causing corrosion.

Amac

#3 Postby Amac » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:14 pm

G'day Andy

I'm located in Bundy and have no issues at all. Guess you will be visiting us in the near future? PM me if you want to know more about the ranges etc and timetable. Starting this weekend for the season.

Cheers Andrew

fclass556

#4 Postby fclass556 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:30 am

Longranger wrote:Beware of those moisture absorbing tubs. Some can promote rust.
Powder will be fine as it comes with the lid firmly tightened. Primers seem to last ok just in a dry cupboard in original packaging. I think cold wet climates are worse than Hervey Bay. I'd be more worried about salt air causing corrosion.

Interesting you say that matey .. I was concerned about the amount of water those tubs were collecting and had the same thought. Looks like I’ll just go back to the way I did things in Melbourne and had no dramas there. Cheers, Andy.

fclass556

#5 Postby fclass556 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:37 am

Amac wrote:G'day Andy

I'm located in Bundy and have no issues at all. Guess you will be visiting us in the near future? PM me if you want to know more about the ranges etc and timetable. Starting this weekend for the season.

Cheers Andrew

G’day Andrew good to hear from you. !! As soon as We finish unpacking boxes and I drag my backside out of the pool, Alison and I will be back in to it ... won’t be until end of Jan as we have some commitments and sorting to get done first. please send me a pm with all the info and I’ll get back with my contact details so we can chat. Looking forward to it. Cheers again, Andy.

pigdog

#6 Postby pigdog » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:35 am

Longranger wrote:Beware of those moisture absorbing tubs. Some can promote rust.

Hey mate could you please elaborate on that I'm in the cairns area which is more humid and hot than near anywhere and I have 2 of those pink moisture absorbing tubs from woollies in the gun safe?? I thought this helps with rust by taking the moisuture out of the air?? have I got it all backward?

thanks

GSells

#7 Postby GSells » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:59 pm

fclass556 wrote:
Amac wrote:G'day Andy

Cheers Andrew

G’day Andrew good to hear from you. !! As soon as We finish unpacking boxes and I drag my backside out of the pool, Alison and I will be back in to it ... won’t be until end of Jan as we have some commitments and sorting to get done first. please send me a pm with all the info and I’ll get back with my contact details so we can chat. Looking forward to it. Cheers again, Andy.

Hi Andy , good to hear u have move up hear safely!
I think Bunderberg rifle club will be a real good club for u . Andy Mac will look after you and Alison . There is a large Ftr contingent that shoot there ( I’m sure anyway ) !
I feel for Vic police Club loosing u to Qld . But I would say we are very happy to have u here !
I shall see u on the circuit !
Regards Graham Sells Dalby/ Tara Rc

GSells

#8 Postby GSells » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:03 pm

Oh ... I’m inland so no more humid than Bendigo . But just keep your rifles oiled . And I buy bulk powder and decant into a smaller tub as I need it . Trying to open the bulk tub as little as possible.
I store the powder locked ( of corse) and keep in a cool and dry place . Same for the primers .
Regards Graham.

Kakaduthunder

#9 Postby Kakaduthunder » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:49 pm

I live in Darwin which is as humid as it gets. I have had no issues with powder. I sometimes leave powder in a charge master or powder thrower for weeks which is certainly not well sealed. I have never noticed a negative effect on accuracy. However I am certainly not recommending this.

I used to put those damp rid things in my gunsafe but I agree they attract moisture and were completely saturated after only a week. So unless you completely seal your safe I think they are a waste of time. Sadly oil is going to be your friend, excess oil. If you have chromoly barrels and actions they will need to be thoroughly wiped down. I literally flood my bores every time a firearm goes away. I know that anything that comes out of my safe needs the bore moped out before use. It used to be a chore but now it is routine. I don't mind wearing my guns out but I hate rust!

Some people up here run A/C 24/7/365 in the room there safe is in.

John S

Longranger

#10 Postby Longranger » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:49 am

pigdog wrote:

Hey mate could you please elaborate on that I'm in the cairns area which is more humid and hot than near anywhere and I have 2 of those pink moisture absorbing tubs from woollies in the gun safe?? I thought this helps with rust by taking the moisuture out of the air?? have I got it all backward?

thanks

I'd be concerned with offgassing of vapors from those tubs. They appear to be some sort of salt or such like. I live in the tropics and haven't needed any dehumidifing to prevent rust, I use a lanolin based product made by Pirtec but there are plenty of good products around. When travelling I place a couple of large silica gel dessicant packs in the rifle case. These packs are reusable by drying in an oven. The ones I use are used in critical control cubicles in power stations. They should be easy enough to find and purchase.

Here is something similar:
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 0456239707

pigdog

#11 Postby pigdog » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:23 am

thanks mate I didn't think of what they had in them some sort of salt cant be good I will pull the water tub thingys out, I always spray the gun barrel both in and out with that G7 gun oil I think its called and same as Kakadu I mop it out each time I shoot.

johnk

#12 Postby johnk » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:44 am

I came across a thread on this recently on another forum. It's touted as being the ultimate:

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=Rena ... 8wex14mADA

Return to “Equipment & Technical”