omark/sportco?

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

stu_bear2002

omark/sportco?

#1 Postby stu_bear2002 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:15 pm

hi again all, this may sound stupid to a few of you :roll: (remember i am new to this) however i seem to remember reading a long time ago that the sportco and omark actions are the same? now if that is true would a model 44 sportco barrelled in 308 be suitable provided the original barrel was changed to a longer,heavier version :?: i have been offered the above model sportco from a neighbour who hasnt been able to continue to shoot since he lost the use of his arm a few years ago.
Stiller/holeshot .22LR
Bruno mod2(sleeved) .22LR
Rem7(sleeved) 6mmBR and 6mm Dasher
Stolle panda 6PPC
Winchester 101 12g

pjifl

#2 Postby pjifl » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:38 pm

To my knowledge the Sportco model 44 is simply an Omark.

Remember that if it is in its original configuration the barrel contains the locking lugs and when rebarreled you will need to purchase an adaptor which screws into the receiver making it equivalent to a normal action.

Also if its original the cross pin needs replacing with the later model type - but if it has been in use within the last 10 years or so this will have been done.

Look around the receiver tailpiece and see if the cocking piece slot has worn badly.

Peter Smith.

Lynn Otto

#3 Postby Lynn Otto » Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:48 am

Sporting Arms SA who produced the Sportco was bought out by the US based Omark organisation and the Model 44 Sportco is indeed an Omark, purpose built for target shooting. It was designed in SA with testing done in conjunction with SARA at the old Dean range at Port Adelaide. Trevor was working for Omark at the time this rifle was released and he tells me there were 5 generations of this rifle, delineated by the serial numbers, but all the same rifle specs. It is eminently suited for target shooting and capable of producing very good results at the target end of the business. We have 5 of them in service in various calibres, all produce excellent results.

Do keep in mind the things Peter has mentioned above. I would have included a scan of the original release info from the October 1968 Omark newsletter, but the system won't open the Imageshack site at the moment. If you're interested send me a PM with email address.

Lynn

#4 Postby Guest » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:44 am

Stuart,
Further to what Peter and Lynn said, The Rifle is a Sportco Mod 44 manufactured by Omark Industries. Commencing manufacture in 1969 or thereabouts the Omark replaced the 303 for which ammunition was getting scarce as the military had since changed over to 7.62mm.
The original Omark Mod 44 started off with serial Nos at DA XXX and continued for a number of years up to DLxxx. The prefix was then changed to SDLxxx up to SDUxxx and designated as a 44B model.
The basic differences were a redesigned trigger with top sear pivoting from the rear as opposed to the Mod44 pivoting from the front. Other changes were the shape of the forend and the scrapping of the Top wood.
The Mod 44B had a longer, heavier Barrel and was inherently more accurate as a result. Production ceased in the 80's and the plant was purchased by MAB who I believe still make an odd one.
The Omark had interchangeable Bolt Heads, which facilitated Head Spacing easily and of latter years MAB produced a change over kit to convert to 5.56mm.
As Lyn said they are a very good rifle when set up correctly, and despite their obvious " sloppy " fitting bolt shoot very accurately.
An adaptor is required to fit Stainless Barrels as I dont't think anyone makes a barrel with integral locking lugs any longer.
Barry

Lynn Otto

#5 Postby Lynn Otto » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:35 pm

I finally managed to get into the Imageshack site to upload the Model 44 page I scanned.

Click on the thumbnail for larger image.

Lynn

rainbow

re omark/sportco question

#6 Postby rainbow » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:20 pm

stu
if you get onto the mab homepage. you will see that they still offer a version of this action. i purchased one 2nd hand that was about 2 years old from a bloke in horsham that was moving up-scale (to a barnard i think.) Our club has a few new members and juniors that are in the process of building model 44's to shoot .223 ammo as an intro to club shooting.
As long as you can get this rifle at a fair price, good luck to you.

pjifl

#7 Postby pjifl » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:51 pm

I said previously to

>Look around the receiver tailpiece and see if the cocking
>piece slot has worn badly.

Maybe this could be misleading. The wear I am referring to is a bad wearing on the sides of the cocking piece guide slot and not general sloppiness. This I have seen a few times but you probably wont encounter it.

As Barry rightly said, despite the seemingly sloppy fitting bolt they shoot very well. Its ironic that they often shoot far better than many name rifles with an apparently better fitting bolt.

The main reason for this is the seperate bolthead. It should have slight but perceptible movement and as such is floating to a small extent.

Coupled with the 3 locking lugs during lockup this assures that all 3 lugs bear when fired. To acvhieve this in a rigid bolt design requires fine boltfitting tolerances and exquisite accuracy during manufacture.

Peter Smith.

stu_bear2002

#8 Postby stu_bear2002 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:31 am

thanks to all for your insight on this :D , i was meant to be looking at it yesterday but have been called into work for a few days so it looks like i wont see it till saturday the price seems fair to me at $350 though i will probably be selling one of my other rfles to another friend on saturday too so it may only end up costing me $50-$100 :wink: . once again thanks to everyone.
regards stuart
Stiller/holeshot .22LR
Bruno mod2(sleeved) .22LR
Rem7(sleeved) 6mmBR and 6mm Dasher
Stolle panda 6PPC
Winchester 101 12g

FullBoar

#9 Postby FullBoar » Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:15 pm

I'm coming back to shooting after many years and have just started haunting my local club at Lithgow - seems I am now a Fullbore shooter and I have noted that quite a few well seasoned Fullbore shooters are using Omark/Sportco M44 rifles in various states of customisation ... they are truly great rifles and should never be underestimated. There are guys at the club new to Fullbore shooting A class with a $150 rifle! I had my first crack at 900 yds a few weeks ago with an Omark and scored a few V bulls ( Aperture sights ) ... the hook was in me right away so I went and picked up an Ex target shooters M44 for $150 to build up from there ... the barrel is an original Omark and not as heavy profile but it's clean and will shoot fine until I need to rebarrel it.

Personally I reckon Sportco/Omarks rock. :wink:

jmc

Re: omark/sportco?

#10 Postby jmc » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:20 am

Hi any luck ageing a 44 omark serial SD0200 thanks

Barry Davies

#11 Postby Barry Davies » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:53 pm

Early to mid 80's

jmc

#12 Postby jmc » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:22 pm

Thanks Barry is there any way to look them up or get more information ?

Pinky the pilot

Omark 44 bits

#13 Postby Pinky the pilot » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:41 pm

Resurrecting an old thread; I have two Omark 44 rifles, one having a fairly early serial number starting with the letter D and the number in the low 1000 block.

The other is SDQ with the numbers in the low 900's.

I have found that the screws holding the action in the stocks appear to be of different thread pitches. They are certainly not interchangeable from one rifle to the other.

Does anyone know just what thread types were used in these rifles?

MR.Sako

#14 Postby MR.Sako » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:28 pm

d series is 1/4 unf in the recoil lug/adapter 1/4 unc elsewhere and the sd series are m6 coarse i believe

lonerider43

#15 Postby lonerider43 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:00 pm

i have 3 omark/sportco's in 308.
they certainly shoot better than i can.
ive also just picked up a "rolls royce" musgrave in 308.
itching to see how he performs.
Australian's Against "Gun-A-Phobia"

Return to “Equipment & Technical”