Bisley style shooting

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

GSells

Re: Bisley style shooting

#16 Postby GSells » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:22 pm

Yes Bruce , was in the thick of it and it did effect me deeply and took the shine of my holiday with my family!
So I'll sit this one out !

GSells

#17 Postby GSells » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:48 am

But I will say , Bisley is quite tuff on the body and mentally, with every shot a sighter . I think it is something that u have to train for as often as you can !

scott/r

#18 Postby scott/r » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:23 am

We're looking at introducing bisley shoots on our practice days. And if we can get enough interest we may even try and run it as a stand alone comp for the club.

bruce moulds

#19 Postby bruce moulds » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:12 pm

graham,
every shot is not a sighter.
you need to establish a max and min for the condition, and refine that in the mind when you fire your sighter shots.
then you need to remember sight settings for flag/ mirage presentations based on previous shots.
not so easy for this old brain.
to do this you need to know what is on the sight at all times.
in the end you train the mind to recognize a condition and relate it to a setting.
just adding or subtracting will teach you nothing, and aiming off will teach even less.
scott,
your post echoes things of a similar nature.
more of this happening is a good thing.
the hardest part at the moment might be getting T.R. on board.
they seem to be shitscared of bisley more than some fclass shooters.
keep safe,
bruce.
Last edited by bruce moulds on Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880
http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

Gerard

#20 Postby Gerard » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:58 pm

Cant speak for others, but this TR shooter is very keen :) Only by trying this for a while will we see the value (or otherwise).
Providing of course that each shot is timed, which I understand it is. (otherwise it would become a game of chess/strategy. delaying in order to fatigue your opponent/s). But tracking and ensuring fair play, seems like a challenge.
So, at Bisley matches is there only one scorer/check scorer per target?, and then does the scorer use a stopwatch/timer and announce 'Your target Shooter 2' or similar, once shooter 1 has shot and the scorer has called and recorded the shot? Would probably be easier to keep track with a scorer per shooter. With ETs (well SMT at least) the software tracks who has kept the sighters etc and which shooter is next to shoot. But what is missing is a timer and perhaps an audible beep.

mike H

#21 Postby mike H » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:16 pm

Gerard wrote:Cant speak for others, but this TR shooter is very keen :) Only by trying this for a while will we see the value (or otherwise).
Providing of course that each shot is timed, which I understand it is. (otherwise it would become a game of chess/strategy. delaying in order to fatigue your opponent/s). But tracking and ensuring fair play, seems like a challenge.
So, at Bisley matches is there only one scorer/check scorer per target?, and then does the scorer use a stopwatch/timer and announce 'Your target Shooter 2' or similar, once shooter 1 has shot and the scorer has called and recorded the shot? Would probably be easier to keep track with a scorer per shooter. With ETs (well SMT at least) the software tracks who has kept the sighters etc and which shooter is next to shoot. But what is missing is a timer and perhaps an audible beep.

Gerard,
You are overthinking the matter,the shooters exchange scoring cards,one fires,next shooter scores then fires his shot,first shooter then scores that shot and fires his next shot.Usually two or three shooters to the target,there is a set time for the series.At the completion of the series,shooters exchange score cards and check results with there own plot sheet.
Mike.

BRETT B

#22 Postby BRETT B » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:29 pm

The first time I shot Bisley in Competition was at the Canadian F Class champs in Canada before we shot the Worlds. I am from a Benchrest back ground and generally shoot normally at a medium to fast pace string shooting. I found the transition to Bisley very easy and was by no means as SCARY as people had described. I found it allowed me to relax a bit more while shooting and not get anxious to get the shot off quick which does happen in string shooting cos you can at times go so fast your just hoping the wind won't change. Shooting Bisley allowed me to spend spend more time analysing wind conditions between shots and relate that to where the bullet printed on Target. Shooting in pairs we got through our detail a lot faster than I would have expected and it did not in any way feel like a slow drawn out affair. I don't believe it fatigued me mentally any more than a normal string shoot would and I will be doing a lot more of it at my home range. I know Shooters in this country are VERY scared of change but I don't see any down side to shooting some Bisley style matches across the country!! The rules are already there so no Argument needed on that !! It can be done on Electronics if manuals aren't an option , you don't need a check scorer cos you do it while you are shooting , you can learn a hell of a lot about wind which could potentially make you a better string shooter!! and it gets rid of this ongoing argument between slow and fast shooters who do and don't won't a delay on ET's which is dividing us as a shooting community!! I really hope people will at least give it a go a few times at their home range or even just in practice before they make up their mind about NOT wanting to shoot this style of shooting..
BRETT BUNYAN F CLASS OPEN SHOOTER W.A.

johnk

#23 Postby johnk » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:53 pm

Gerard wrote:Providing of course that each shot is timed, which I understand it is. (otherwise it would become a game of chess/strategy. delaying in order to fatigue your opponent/s). But tracking and ensuring fair play, seems like a challenge.

Nah, the deal is to shoot with an erratic cadence, so that it buggers up their rhythm & really mind, er, fornicates many. :twisted: You can still do that easily in the 45 seconds.

bruce moulds

#24 Postby bruce moulds » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:04 pm

well john,
those people would be far better served by focusing on the job in hand.
failing to do so will be at their detriment.
and in the meantime they will be creating a mentally tougher and more skilled opponent.
keep safe,
bruce.

RDavies

#25 Postby RDavies » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:36 pm

BRETT B wrote:The first time I shot Bisley in Competition was at the Canadian F Class champs in Canada before we shot the Worlds. I am from a Benchrest back ground and generally shoot normally at a medium to fast pace string shooting. I found the transition to Bisley very easy and was by no means as SCARY as people had described. I found it allowed me to relax a bit more while shooting and not get anxious to get the shot off quick which does happen in string shooting cos you can at times go so fast your just hoping the wind won't change. Shooting Bisley allowed me to spend spend more time analysing wind conditions between shots and relate that to where the bullet printed on Target. Shooting in pairs we got through our detail a lot faster than I would have expected and it did not in any way feel like a slow drawn out affair. I don't believe it fatigued me mentally any more than a normal string shoot would and I will be doing a lot more of it at my home range. I know Shooters in this country are VERY scared of change but I don't see any down side to shooting some Bisley style matches across the country!! The rules are already there so no Argument needed on that !! It can be done on Electronics if manuals aren't an option , you don't need a check scorer cos you do it while you are shooting , you can learn a hell of a lot about wind which could potentially make you a better string shooter!! and it gets rid of this ongoing argument between slow and fast shooters who do and don't won't a delay on ET's which is dividing us as a shooting community!! I really hope people will at least give it a go a few times at their home range or even just in practice before they make up their mind about NOT wanting to shoot this style of shooting..

My thoughts exactly. I remember a few blokes who had not shot Bisley style before Canada were a bit apprehensive about it and were saying they were going to hate it or go badly at it. I think nearly every one of those shooters enjoyed it much more than they thought they would and went better than they expected once they had a few ranges under their belt.

!Peter!

#26 Postby !Peter! » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:52 pm

I used to shoot bisley and I particularly enjoyed shooting it when I had a great partner. On the otherhand, if you get an asshole it can be not so enjoyable.

There was one time when we had target malfunctions at a club shoot which resulted in the TR shooters getting re-squaded to 4 to a mound and F-Class shooters getting re-squaded to 3 to a mound. The funniest thing was that the TR shooters who regularly shot 3 to a mound were done in half the time as the F-Class shooters because the F-Class shooters kept getting confused! #-o

Personally, when I shoot both bisley and string I enjoyed shooting more and improved.

Don't forget in bisley, plotting your shoots is critical!

bruce moulds

#27 Postby bruce moulds » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:12 am

so how would you guys feel about a whole queens run bisley style?
keep safe,
bruce.

Matt P

#28 Postby Matt P » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:24 am

bruce moulds wrote:so how would you guys feel about a whole queens run bisley style?
keep safe,
bruce.

Bruce
I do like the idea, a few issues I can see. The first is the good old "but we don't do it that way attitude". The other more important one is most ranges don't have enough targets and I'll explain why. When shooting Bisley style you are give a time to shoot (from 10-10.35 for example) and this is locked in, so the next shooters can't start until that detail is finished, so you're only getting though 2 shooters in that time frame, shooting string fire you would easily get though 3-4 shooters depending on conditions.
Which means you need more targets/markers or ET's which is a bit of a problem. I looked at this for next years NSWRA Queens, but for us it just isn't doable.
Matt P

Tim N

#29 Postby Tim N » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:27 am

Count me in!
SA queens next year? [-o<
We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training. Archilochos 680-645 BC

johnk

#30 Postby johnk » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:45 am

Matt P wrote:Which means you need more targets/markers or ET's which is a bit of a problem.

.... and much higher cost, but you could opt for fewer matches.

Return to “General Forum”