Rifle cant

If you shoot full-bore, then you're welcome to use this forum to discuss your sport.

Moderator: Mod

Shane3800

Rifle cant

#1 Postby Shane3800 » Mon May 22, 2017 9:56 pm

Hi all I'm having trouble with rifle cant. Every time I get my right hand (I shoot right handed) into a good position where I can release the trigger with out pulling the rifle to the right I cant the rifle. I was told to adjust it on my left hand I tried this last shoot but I can see it's starting to cause other issues. I could use an adjustable but plate but I can't afford one atm. What else can I do?

Gerard

Re: Rifle cant

#2 Postby Gerard » Tue May 23, 2017 12:05 am

Hi Shane,

On my Angel rifle with a Weeks stock, I had a similar problem and resolved it with an adjustable butt plate.
But, think it was probably to some degree due to excess cheek pressure. So perhaps consider if you may be doing that also to some degree.
I was canting to the left.

You may already know the below, but incase not..

Other than that (and be warned I'm a novice, so this could be poor advice) I would suggest:
1) Make sure that the stock is resting on the thumb muscle - not the palm of your hand (or you would be using muscles to try steady the rifle and will tire and definitely begin to can't).
2) Make sure that your left elbow is as close as possible to directly below the rifle and you sling takes the full weight of the rifle (no left arm muscles used at all), this will help keep things strain free and vertical.
3) If the above doesn't help (verify during dry fire practices at home) then if possible try adjust your length of pull, as it could be too long and you are shouldering the rifle forward when reaching for the trigger.
4) I suggest place your trigger hand in position and only then lower your right arm to the ground.. rather than position your right elbow and then stretch to the trigger.

..still canting..? hmm..
Then experiment with right elbow placement and perhaps (warning potentially terrible advice) use one of those sweat band style elbow pads just on the right arm. Ideally the arms should be level in relation to the mound..

Im sure at least some of the above is dubious advice as best, but it may help.

cheers,
Gerard.

PS.. I'm still struggling with my position!

johnk

#3 Postby johnk » Tue May 23, 2017 5:18 pm

Smallbore shooters accept & shoot with cant on their rifles, but they shoot at only one distance.

You mightn't have detected in the previous reply, but depending where you place the butt on your body, tweaking the angle of the butt plate to vertical may resolve your issue.

mike H

#4 Postby mike H » Tue May 23, 2017 8:25 pm

I thought that these days,of rifle shooting,levels were available to show what the shooter is doing,in regard to cant.I have never had an adjustable butt plate on my rifles,but have had a level fitted to my scope for along time,as long as you remember to keep an eye on the level before firing the shot you will be OK.The main thing is to keep the cant,if you have any,the same for all the shots.

Shane3800

#5 Postby Shane3800 » Tue May 23, 2017 8:43 pm

Hi and thanks for the reply guys.
I have a level on my fore sight and I check it before every shot but I find my right elbow keeps going to the wrong spot after reloading (I reload off the shoulder) then I correct my elbow position and what do you know the rifle is canted again. It's like my natural point of aim is canted I wouldn't mind so much if the bubble level was wider with more markings so I know that i'm on the same spot. I'm not concerned with being canted as such it is more the fact that I cant see how canted I am unless I'm in the middle of the level.

I'll be trying a new position I read from one of Geoff Ayling's emails. The position I'm going to try pretty much get's the sling further down my arm which hopefully will bring my left elbow in under the rifle more.

MR.Sako

#6 Postby MR.Sako » Wed May 24, 2017 11:04 am

If an adjustable butt plate is out of the question try canting your fore and rear sight

lonerider43

#7 Postby lonerider43 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:11 am

you can get the bisley adjustable butt plate/pad for under $40 posted from UK ebay.
i have one now and it has helped alot with the canting issue.
Australian's Against "Gun-A-Phobia"

dgeorge52

#8 Postby dgeorge52 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:45 pm

hi ....where is your front sling take off point...around your hand then down is better to hold rifle in vert position...nd your stock length would b next...and to much pressure on cheek piece..

Return to “Full-bore/Target Rifle”