Lithgow Arms LA102 action/trigger

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

SunnyCoast 5r

Lithgow Arms LA102 action/trigger

#1 Postby SunnyCoast 5r » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:22 pm

Any opinions as to the suitability of the new Lithgow Arms LA102 action as a basis for a dedicated Fclass build?
I like the Australian Made aspect; and it looks very similar to the Tikka T3.

And relatively inexpensive. Not sure if you can purchase just the action/trigger.

Is this the new Omark of our time?

scott/r

Re: Lithgow Arms LA102 action/trigger

#2 Postby scott/r » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:06 am

I doubt anyone would have anything to do with the new Lithgow action in regards to a dedicated target action. I would think that once you bought the rifle and had the action trued , you'd be coming close to the price of a good second hand barnard action, which is more than likely going to run circles around the trued Lithgow action anyway.

Cutanything

#3 Postby Cutanything » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:12 am

I just one question have you ever had a good at look or shot the new lithgow range at all the workmanship is great. I myself own one in 22lr platform and have banged hundreds of round through and has never missed a beat . I think the only thing that may let you down is the synthetic stock

SunnyCoast 5r

#4 Postby SunnyCoast 5r » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:19 am

Thanks for the input.
I am on a tight budget and had a vague recollection of someone commenting that the action may not be as critical to accuracy as we think...can of worms there!!!
I have the Lithgow 22 and is does seem to be very well engineered so thought it might be worth a look.
Plus I am looking at some comps that need a magazine too.
Plan is new stock; new barrel; new trigger if required and I am better set for F class than with current rig which will go back to pig duty only.
Be good to see how the Aussie made product would go...

pfc15

#5 Postby pfc15 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:40 am

scott/r wrote:I doubt anyone would have anything to do with the new Lithgow action in regards to a dedicated target action. I would think that once you bought the rifle and had the action trued , you'd be coming close to the price of a good second hand barnard action, which is more than likely going to run circles around the trued Lithgow action anyway.

Actually, I have seen them made. All CADCAM machined, very high quality to low tolerances. Its good to see Australians making a good product.

wilson85

#6 Postby wilson85 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:31 pm

I too am keen to see how they go! Would be great if Lithgow Arms offered actions for people to build into a rifle or even better, a single shot version without the mag cut out to stiffen them up a bit.

The action won't be as stiff and tight as a Barnard, though it isn't designed to be. I'm pretty sure it will be tighter than some of the well worn Omarks getting around and I am sure that most people here have been given a touch up from a well worn Omark before. I know I have......

From what I have seen, the RRP of for the complete LA102 is around the $1400. If the Lithgow Arms could supply an action for a bit less than that, I reckon it would be worth giving one a go if you had a budget to keep to.

superx10

#7 Postby superx10 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:06 pm

I like the look of the stock with the rear bag support potential and wth just a barrel change may be a good dual purpose rifle with FTR in mind .
Many remingtons end up on the line shooting, these guns could very well have a higher build quality .And if we can support a local industry all for the better.

If your after an action only the pierce actions would be hard to beat for value.

Longranger

#8 Postby Longranger » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:56 am

I guess on a budget you could also look at getting a second hand Tikka T3 and using that as a donor action. The T3 with a barrel block could work well, but then again what wouldn't work well with a barrel block arrangement?

I may go the Tikka route if I do a rifle for my missus as I have an action on hand. There are some superb triggers available for T3 actions as well.

scott/r

#9 Postby scott/r » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:32 am

pfc15 wrote:
scott/r wrote:I doubt anyone would have anything to do with the new Lithgow action in regards to a dedicated target action. I would think that once you bought the rifle and had the action trued , you'd be coming close to the price of a good second hand barnard action, which is more than likely going to run circles around the trued Lithgow action anyway.

Actually, I have seen them made. All CADCAM machined, very high quality to low tolerances. Its good to see Australians making a good product.

Looks like I stand corrected. It's good to hear that these rifles are being built to good specs.

DaveMc

#10 Postby DaveMc » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:04 pm

If anyone looking for an action only or action/stock (Tikka and Lithgow) pm me and we can work something out for you.

SunnyCoast 5r

#11 Postby SunnyCoast 5r » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:21 pm

Anyone have a 308 version yet?

All feedback greatly appreciated!

I am a huge fan based on my experience with the 22 but would love to hear if anyone has put one on the mound yet.

My local dealer is still waiting for stock.

DaveMc

#12 Postby DaveMc » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:41 pm

We have just received our first plastic stocked 308 this week. There are some interesting design points and I will try and post some photos over next few days if I get time.

First comment - this one shot a 3 shot 0.5moa group with fed 130 straight out of the box so satisfies the hunting market claims of many companies of <1moa with 3 shot.

The bolt is a Barnard type full body 3 lug and relatively smooth. The 3 position safety is good order. Forward for fire, middle position to lock bolt and trigger, full back to remove bolt but keep safety on trigger.

The barrel quality is once again fantastic off the hammer forge but spoilt a bit by poor tooling choice at the crown and chamber ends.Our model here shows gouges and pits from the pilot at the chamber and scratches at the muzzle along with some internal barrel "hollows" similar to a bulge where they have turned the muzzle thread (Not a fan of turning threads or taking too much material off near the muzzle).

A decent steel picatinny rail.
Large diameter action (1.385", full diameter bolt
Interesting tenon arrangement. The thread appears to be full diameter of the barrel (1.145") and must headspace by the end of the barrel into shoulder in the action (need to remove barrel to be sure) - No real reason I can see yet that it couldn't be chambered int he traditional manner with a 1.250 barrel diameter and 1.145 barrel thread - the shoulder would be only 50 thou a side but adequate but would need to remove the cerakote on shoulder of action and true the face.
The recoil lug is tikka like but due to the large thread diameter the recess in the action exposes the thread and therefoer the lug is radiused to accommodate the thread (hopefully get some pictures up).

The stock shape should be well suited to prone shooting with a reasonable bag rider. The stock presents well off the shoulder for prone but angles high for shooting from the standing position.
It is quite light weight for the barrel profile.

Trigger - Can't comment too much yet but if the 101 is anything to go by it probably can be adjusted to a decent 1kg trigger but the sears are too soft for very light weight and ultracrisp performance. Hopefully someone will come up with a decent aftermarket trigger for them.

Suitability for F class:?? Pretty good. I think their chamber and crowning tooling and muzzle threads will hold them a bit behind the tikka for pure accuracy (some will no doubt shoot very well) - The crown can obviously be cleaned up by a gunsmith at the cost of the cerakote finish. This one we would have to remove full muzzle thread.. The stock shape suits F class a little better than the Tikka Varmint but trigger is not as good. I have no doubt we will see a few of these on the line over time and also have no doubt that some will shoot well out of the box and others will see some custom work.

Dave

Asgardloki

#13 Postby Asgardloki » Sun May 14, 2017 10:12 pm

any update on the LA102?

SunnyCoast 5r

#14 Postby SunnyCoast 5r » Mon May 15, 2017 6:29 am

Received mine with new Maddco barrel from CRM. Looks very good; action is smooth; trigger ok; laminated stock fits well in my rear bag; and overall very happy. I have not however had time to set up the scope so will keep everyone posted once work / family duty eases off.

Asgardloki

#15 Postby Asgardloki » Tue May 16, 2017 8:27 pm

cheers sunnycoast, be very keen to hear how it shoots.
hoping a lithgow would be a good option for my first rifle build.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”