F-class............. the sport?

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

DenisA

F-class............. the sport?

#1 Postby DenisA » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:54 am

I'm throwing a cat amongst the pigeons here I think.

Even though shooting is said to be a sport I always feel uncomfortable saying it.

To me a sport is a physically challenging game that's contested by athletes who perform at a physically elite level to compete and normally includes a lot of physical training.

Here's a definition I pulled off the net. An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

I'm not saying shooting isn't hard and doesn't require a lot of knowledge and skill.

So if shooting is a sport, are we athlete's? Bahahaha.... classic.

johnk

Re: F-class............. the sport?

#2 Postby johnk » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:40 am

So, if you have the reflexes of a log, you're suggesting that you could still cut it shooting F class?

How about the F/TR & SAUM guys that still achieve results while beating up their shoulders free recoiling?

It's relative - your skill set against somebody else's & the outcome is measurable.

DenisA

#3 Postby DenisA » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:05 am

johnk wrote:So, if you have the reflexes of a log, you're suggesting that you could still cut it shooting F class?

How about the F/TR & SAUM guys that still achieve results while beating up their shoulders free recoiling?

It's relative - your skill set against somebody else's & the outcome is measurable.

:lol:

Well logs don't have very good reflex's, nor do they have hands, arms or legs so that's taking the extreme. There are plenty of shooters who's reflex's aren't at a level considered to be athletic that are very good shooters. We actually advertise that when we market our SPORT to new comers. All ages, genders, etc..

I free recoil a 300wsm and use more free recoil than anyone I've ever seen shoot F-class with a 7.9kg gun. I'm far from an athlete and have no issue with sore shoulders etc. Nothing a good recoil pad can't handle.

I must admit, sometimes when I walk my front rest up to the mound I get a little puffed. I also feel that regular squats sessions can be an advantage when it comes time to pick up my front rest back up off the mound in an orderly fasion. That could be the athletic part! :P

scott/r

#4 Postby scott/r » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:10 am

If it's psychical exertion your after, try shooting target rifle in January/ February.

DenisA

#5 Postby DenisA » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:36 am

scott/r wrote:If it's psychical exertion your after, try shooting target rifle in January/ February.

I did specifically say F-class.

I've never shot TR and probably couldn't. I'm certainly not in a position to comment on it. Definitely has more technique than F-class.

Are TR shooters athletes?

jasmay

#6 Postby jasmay » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:45 am

Golf and Ping Pong aren't exactly physically strenuous

johnk

#7 Postby johnk » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:48 am

By the way, if you look at the definition of athlete, you'll find it has very specific reference to track & field events.

AlanF

#8 Postby AlanF » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:52 am

MacQuarie Dictionary : Sport : an activity pursued for exercise or pleasure, usually requiring some degree of physical prowess.

Of course F-Class is a sport. As for physical prowess, it doesn't involve much exertion, along with many other sports e.g. bowls, snooker, etc. but shooters benefit significantly from other types of physical prowess such as hand-eye coordination, visual acuity etc. Just because its mainly a mind game doesn't disqualify it from being a sport.

willow

#9 Postby willow » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:40 pm

I always go home tired after a Saturday afternoon of shooting. I consider myself fit and active, I'm 39, I can bench 100kg, I can run 100m in under 13 seconds still, I jog/row/cycle for cardio...and yet each Saturday arvo I go home from the range feeling tired, like I've exercised. Maybe it's just me :shock:

DenisA

#10 Postby DenisA » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:24 pm

Jas and Alan, your both spot on. there are plenty of other games that have been incorrectly classified too....................... :lol: :lol: Kidding. Having a dig.

Willow, I agree with you, mental exursion is more tiring than physical exursion. F-class is definitely a mental game. I'm always tired when I go home too. It might be that push up I have to do when I get up off the mound :P

I'm not disputing that F-class is a sport, or even suggesting that it shouldn't be, but it doesn't feel very sporty. I'll try wearing lycra next Saturday, maybe with a head band and some puffy socks and see if that feels any better. It won't for the guys behind "The Frog".

Knowing that Bridge is also classified as a sport makes me feel much better.

Here's a couple of interesting paragraphs from Wikipedia. (Love Wikipedia). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport

Sport is generally recognised as system of activities which are based in physical athleticism or physical dexterity, with the largest major competitions such as the Olympic Games admitting only sports meeting this definition,[3] and other organisations such as the Council of Europe using definitions precluding activities without a physical element from classification as sports.[2] However, a number of competitive, but non-physical, activities claim recognition as mind sports. The International Olympic Committee (through ARISF) recognises both chess and bridge as bona fide sports, and SportAccord, the international sports federation association, recognises five non-physical sports: bridge, chess, draughts (checkers), Go, and xiangqi,[4][5] and limits the number of mind games which can be admitted as sports.

The inclusion of mind sports within sport definitions has not been universally accepted, leading to legal challenges from governing bodies in regards to being denied funding available to sports.[12] Whilst SportAccord recognises a small number of mind sports, it is not open to admitting any further mind sports.

Oh and for the record, we are athletes then based on the below definition. Yessss!!!

A person who is proficient in sports and other forms of physical exercise.

Cliff Austen

#11 Postby Cliff Austen » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:14 pm

Horse racing is a sport and the only thing getting exercise is the horse.
Cliff

John23

#12 Postby John23 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:12 pm

Strange topic coming from you DenisA.

I'm sure many of you know Denis and am familiar with his shooting position.
I'm sure there are the others who have walked by not knowing Denis and done the double take .
(And went home and privately practiced the position in the mirror)

Denis shoots with the flexibility of a 12 year old Chinese gymnast.
A position I have grown to call crouching tiger hidden penis .
(loosely translated to "The HWY cane toad " for those of you who don't speak Cantonese)

I vote DenisA in to be our athletic ambassador.

DenisA

#13 Postby DenisA » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:32 pm

Bahahaha, John that might seem offensive if it weren't true.

Helps me get a better read on tail wind. :oops:

plumbs7

#14 Postby plumbs7 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:17 pm

John23 wrote:Strange topic coming from you DenisA.

I'm sure there are the others who have walked by not knowing Denis and done the double take .

(loosely translated to "The HWY cane toad " for those of you who don't speak Cantonese)

Hahah! Yep park the bike! I wish I could do that but I would have to be carried off the mound ! Sssh but I do try and practice that position too at home ! Lol!!

Denis you sound like my Lovely wife ! she reckons that anyone can do this sport, even she thinks she could be a top shot . But when challenged to come to the range ," don't like the noise !" Lol! #-o

DenisA

#15 Postby DenisA » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:55 pm

plumbs7 wrote:
John23 wrote:Strange topic coming from you DenisA.

Hahah! Yep park the bike! I wish I could do that

You wish you could park what in my crack!!! I'll never feel safe with you lurking around behind me again Graham. If you did illegally park your bike like that, I suspect your wheel may be clamped.............. maybe even buckled :lol:

Return to “General Forum”